Which travel router to connect in hotel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-19 13:39:15 - last edited 2021-07-28 02:19:47

Hi,

I'm looking for a travel router which I can use to connect my Chromecast on the internet in hotel rooms.

The router needs to be able to connect to

- Hotel RJ-45 socket and also

- Hotel WiFi with browser login - authentication page (is this called WISP? 802.1x authentication?)

Share the internet into its own Wi-Fi network secured with WPA2.

Chromecast can then login into my WPA2 secured network.

It would be also great if there is a possibility to set my own MAC address to router's WAN port (physical and also wireless) to be able to connect to hotel wifi if they have MAC address filtering set up.

Is this possible to do with either of these products?

- TL-WR802N

- TL-WR902AC

- TL-MR3020 (this has also USB port to connect 3G modem for another internet connection outside hotels)

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Which travel router to connect in hotel-Solution
2019-08-21 02:24:13 - last edited 2021-07-28 02:19:47

@ModernTraveler 

The products you list support repeater/bridge mode and the regular wireless router mode. And the mac clone option is available.

They can connect to the existing network by wired cable or wireless to extend the network. While hotel is a kind of special network environment. 

As my knowledge, the hotel wifi uses portal authentication usually, which we cannot guarantee that the router can work with it or the performance because the hotel wifi varies depending on the manufacturers. Besides, even though they can can work together, the encryption type will match the hotel wifi in repeater/bridge mode, it is not able to share a secured WPA2 network. 

Considering the potential loss, it is not recommend to order one, or you can buy one of them  to give it a go but please remember to verify the return/warranty polic, if it does not work, you can return it.

Best regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Which travel router to connect in hotel-Solution
2019-08-21 02:24:13 - last edited 2021-07-28 02:19:47

@ModernTraveler 

The products you list support repeater/bridge mode and the regular wireless router mode. And the mac clone option is available.

They can connect to the existing network by wired cable or wireless to extend the network. While hotel is a kind of special network environment. 

As my knowledge, the hotel wifi uses portal authentication usually, which we cannot guarantee that the router can work with it or the performance because the hotel wifi varies depending on the manufacturers. Besides, even though they can can work together, the encryption type will match the hotel wifi in repeater/bridge mode, it is not able to share a secured WPA2 network. 

Considering the potential loss, it is not recommend to order one, or you can buy one of them  to give it a go but please remember to verify the return/warranty polic, if it does not work, you can return it.

Best regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Which travel router to connect in hotel
2020-01-24 13:15:09

@ModernTraveler In Agra tour cab office we are using Timber internet service.

Options
Re:Which travel router to connect in hotel
2020-02-07 12:12:05

@ModernTraveler In Crown India Tour office we are using Tp-Link internet. and we are getting good internet speed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 132370

Replies: 3

Related Articles