Adding node to a Deco Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-03 02:54:21 - last edited 2023-11-06 10:15:24
Model: Deco X95  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have been running a 2 nodes Deco mesh using the X60 with wired backhaul, it's been working great for a few years now.
I am moving house and it doesn't have Ethernet port, it doesn't look possible to install cabling.

So I think I'll be stuck with wireless backhaul, given that the x60 is a 2 band system, I am thinking of buying a X95 and use that as my router and use the 2 x60 as satellites.

The x95 has 3 bands and you can configure one of the 5GHz band as a dedicated band for backhaul. Main thing I want to ensure is smooth streaming to my Apple TV, and using this configuration I can plug the Apple TV into the Ethernet port of one of the x60, from a location perspective it is also the perfect spot for it. the thinking is that the x60 will have better wireless reception than the Apple TV itself  given its antennas.

Does it make sense, anyone can think of a better way? Cheers

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Adding node to a Deco Mesh-Solution
2023-11-03 15:31:02 - last edited 2023-11-06 10:15:24

@ppnace 

You can plug Apple TV to X60 Ethernet port and it is better than have TV connected to X60 by WiFi. If you can, you should definitely use Ethernet link between TV and Deco.

In regard to tri-band vs. dual band. Tri-band only works when Main and Satellite Deco are on tri-band. Meaning, if you had multiple X95s you'll see the difference. The way you plan it, with single X95 as Main Deco and X60s as Satellites, your X60s will still be on dual-band. Overall Deco mesh performance will not be better than if you had X60 as Main Deco and two X60 as Satellites.

You can mix tri-and dual band Deco units. Suppose, you buy two X95s. Make one X95 your Main Deco, another X95 - Satellite Deco to which Apple TV will be connected. These two X95s will get you all benefits of tri-band.

Place two Satellite X60s you already have elsewhere at your new house.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Adding node to a Deco Mesh-Solution
2023-11-03 15:31:02 - last edited 2023-11-06 10:15:24

@ppnace 

You can plug Apple TV to X60 Ethernet port and it is better than have TV connected to X60 by WiFi. If you can, you should definitely use Ethernet link between TV and Deco.

In regard to tri-band vs. dual band. Tri-band only works when Main and Satellite Deco are on tri-band. Meaning, if you had multiple X95s you'll see the difference. The way you plan it, with single X95 as Main Deco and X60s as Satellites, your X60s will still be on dual-band. Overall Deco mesh performance will not be better than if you had X60 as Main Deco and two X60 as Satellites.

You can mix tri-and dual band Deco units. Suppose, you buy two X95s. Make one X95 your Main Deco, another X95 - Satellite Deco to which Apple TV will be connected. These two X95s will get you all benefits of tri-band.

Place two Satellite X60s you already have elsewhere at your new house.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 384

Replies: 1

Related Articles