VLAN advice needed

VLAN advice needed

VLAN advice needed
VLAN advice needed
2024-03-20 15:28:04
Model: TL-SG1016PE  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20230219 Rel.70930

Hi everyone, I'm new enough to networking but always learning. I'd like to ask for advice on best practic for a home / Small business network.

I'm currently using the following hardware.

Teltonika RUTX50 Router

TL-SG1016PE Switch

Unifi UNIFI U6-LR Access point ( may be changing to a TP-Link EAP235-Wall)

Ethernet connections for home / work laptops, TV, etc

I'm trying to achieve secure network segregation between home, work, guest, iot devices with the use of VLAN's.

I'm not sure of the best approach.

Do I setup VLAN's on the switch and then a seperate connection from each VLAN to the router. Also seperate access points for home and guest wifi?

Or do I setup VLAN's on the switch and then a trunk conection to one port on the router and a trunk connection to one access point with SSID's for each VLAN?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

Options
1 Reply
Re:VLAN advice needed
2024-03-22 06:38:48

Hi @Padraicg 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

There are two approaches to do the VLAN.

802.1Q VLAN and VLAN interface with the ACL.

I don't know about your router and here's how you set it up: How to configure 802.1Q VLAN on TP-Link Easy Smart/Unmanaged Pro Switches

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options