EAP225 causing Windows 10 with USB WiFi adapters to blue screen

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: EAP225(EU)_V3_5.1.6 Build 20240313

After upgrading my two EAP225 APs to EAP225(EU)_V3_5.1.6 Build 20240313 (from EAP225(EU)_V3_5.1.1 Build 20230921), two PCs running fully updated Windows 10 with two different USB WiFi adapters blue screen after a few seconds of network activity. The EAPs are connected to a Docker container running Omada 5.13.30.8. There are no VLANs set up, it is just a very basic home network. A laptop with built-in WiFi and about 20 other devices all work perfectly. I have downgraded the APs back to EAP225(EU)_V3_5.1.1 Build 20230921 and the crashes have gone away. The WiFi adapters have different chipsets and drivers and have been working flawlessly for many months.

I have Band Steering, Fast Roaming, AI Roaming and Dual Band 11k Report enabled, but not Force-Disassociation.

Has anyone else seen this? I can't find any reports through Google.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP225 causing Windows 10 with USB WiFi adapters to blue screen-Solution
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hi @Hank21,

Just a quick followup. Enabling PMF is what causes the crashes. With the network on WPA2-PSK/Auto, setting PMF to Capable causes a blue screen within a few seconds. When set to Disable everything works normally.

Nick

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP225 causing Windows 10 with USB WiFi adapters to blue screen
3 weeks ago

NickNightingale wrote

After upgrading my two EAP225 APs to EAP225(EU)_V3_5.1.6 Build 20240313 (from EAP225(EU)_V3_5.1.1 Build 20230921), two PCs running fully updated Windows 10 with two different USB WiFi adapters blue screen after a few seconds of network activity. The EAPs are connected to a Docker container running Omada 5.13.30.8. There are no VLANs set up, it is just a very basic home network. A laptop with built-in WiFi and about 20 other devices all work perfectly. I have downgraded the APs back to EAP225(EU)_V3_5.1.1 Build 20230921 and the crashes have gone away. The WiFi adapters have different chipsets and drivers and have been working flawlessly for many months.

I have Band Steering, Fast Roaming, AI Roaming and Dual Band 11k Report enabled, but not Force-Disassociation.

Has anyone else seen this? I can't find any reports through Google.

Hi @NickNightingale 

Could you check your SSID setting and make sure the SSID not includes the 6GHz, disable PMF, and not includes the WPA3? You can create a test SSID and see whether it works. Please share your SSID settings to us if the same issue occurs.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2 weeks ago

Hi  @Hank21 thank you so much for the quick comprehensive reply.

I have set the SSID to WPA2/Auto and the crashes have gone away (removing 6GHz didn't make any difference). Previously PMF was set to Capable, which was the minimum with WPA3. I haven't tried enabling PMF with WPA2, but am happy to try that if that would be useful information for others. Presumably this is a driver issue with newer authentication? Googling throws up a Windows 10 bug which was fixed a couple of years ago and some more recent driver issues. FYI I am now using a "TP-Link Wireless MU-MIMO USB Adapter" with driver 1030.38.712.2019.

Thanks again, Nick

Options
Re:EAP225 causing Windows 10 with USB WiFi adapters to blue screen-Solution
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hi @Hank21,

Just a quick followup. Enabling PMF is what causes the crashes. With the network on WPA2-PSK/Auto, setting PMF to Capable causes a blue screen within a few seconds. When set to Disable everything works normally.

Nick

Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago

NickNightingale wrote

Hi @Hank21,

Nick

Hi @NickNightingale 

May I have the model of the TPLINK USB adapter you are using now? It will be appreciated if you can share some screenshots of the network card info page and the models of them.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 148

Replies: 4

Related Articles