EAP670 PD Over Current indication

2 weeks ago
Tags: #EAP670
Model: EAP670  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13

I have discovered at least one reason for my EAP670v1 reboot - they're being reset by the switch for drawing too much power. Now, I had seen this before and have tried multiple adjustments of the PoE settings. It should be noted that I have many, many of the PoE switched in question and they work fine for all other PoE devices other than these, including all of the other PoE devices on this current switch. I have allocated an eye-popping 25w of power for these 670s, and they still continue to generate the following error and get reset by the switch W 05/08/24 21:04:29 00562 ports: port 14 PD Over Current indication.

this feels like a fairly serious bug, but all of my data is anecdotal: switches of same type have no poe issues, all other poe devices on same device work fine, power availability is within spec. 

I am still on 1.0.13, and have seen this issue on older versions as well. Upgrading to 1.0.14 is a non-starter because all EAP670s consistently disconnect from the controller (already a ticket open for that, it is very reproducable). 

switch configuration: 

interface 14
   name "Core: wap-ax-1"

power-over-ethernet critical
   poe-allocate-by value
   poe-value 25
   poe-lldp-detect enabled
   tagged vlan 4,6-7,9
   untagged vlan 809
   exit

core# show power-over-ethernet brief

Status and Configuration Information

Available: 370 W  Used: 101 W  Remaining: 269 W

PoE    Pwr  Pwr      Pre-std Alloc Alloc  PSE Pwr PD Pwr  PoE Port     PLC PLC
 Port   Enab Priority Detect  Cfg   Actual Rsrvd   Draw    Status       Cls Type
 ------ ---- -------- ------- ----- ------ ------- ------- ------------ --- ----
  14     Yes  critical on     value value  29.3 W  8.5 W   Delivering   4    2

Has anyone else seen this? I've got an older Juniper PoE switch I can test with as well, but I don't think that's really the issue and I'd rather not power that power hungry beast back on. I also have a spare Aruba switch I can try, but again, I don't see that as the issue. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP670 PD Over Current indication
Tuesday

@ndb217 Again this morning I have seen the same over-current error: 

I 05/21/24 05:30:55 00561 ports: port 14 Applying Power to PD.
I 05/21/24 05:30:55 00560 ports: port 14 PD Detected.
W 05/21/24 05:30:53 00562 ports: port 14 PD Over Current indication.

Time stamp is correct, this was at 0530, no one was using the system other than always-on devices, of which there aren't many. Only one of the APs experienced this. No configurations have been changed, no other PoE devices had the issue.  

Options
Yesterday

Hi @ndb217 

Could you please try to exchange another EAP especially the EAP670 to this location and see whether you encounter the same issue? If only this certain EAP670 has the issue, we would like to suggest you get the replacement. You can inform us when you make the test and need to get the replacement.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Yesterday

@Hank21 It is definitely not just this one AP. My other does it as well, just not as frequently. 

Options
16 hours ago

Hi @ndb217 

Could you help to confirm the model number of your PoE switch? We have confirmed that the EAP670 supports the standard PoE and it should be compatible with the standard Power Sourcing Equipment.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
4 hours ago

@ndb217 

Are you using solid copper cables or CCA?

Are the cable ends newly terminated or have they been 'around for a while'?

If you power the AP with a short patch cord directly from the switch, does the overcurrent still happen?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
3 hours ago

@d0ugmac1 Structured cabling is solid core into keystone jacks, all tested end to end. Patch cables are commercially pre-terminated. I have also tested with a fluke tester from patch cable to patch cable.

Additional data point: all other 802.11af/at PoE devices use the exact same infrastructure without issue, including a fairly high draw cellular antenna / router that's operated for a couple of years as an out of band connection. 

I have a 48v TP-Link PoE injector that I can test with as well. 

Options
3 hours ago

@Hank21 No problem:

Aruba JL256A 2930F-48G-PoE+-4SFP+ running WC.16.11.0006

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 102

Replies: 4

Tags

EAP670