RE200 AC750 Parental controls don't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-08 23:12:36
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

My problem is with an RE200 range extendere but it is not available in the new thread model list.

My network has an Archer AC5400 router and AC750 RE200 range extender.

When a device that is blocked by parental controls on the router connects throught the range extender, it is allowed internet access.

This is a big flaw.  It seems no one in the wifi router development industry has any clue on how to design parental controls.

I have not found one yet that works as a parent would use it.

Ted
Options
4 Reply
Re:RE200 AC750 Parental controls don't work
2019-05-08 23:56:20

@TedWards 

When a device connects to the range extender the extender will apply a different MAC address to the device that the router will see. When you set up the parental control rules if the device was connected to the router initially then the router is referencing only the true MAC address, but not the created one. 

Connect the device to the extender, log back into the router. The created MAC address will be similar to the original but the other half will be different. Add that new MAC address and the rules should work.

Options
2019-05-09 01:00:33

This is a huge amount of trouble when you are talking about 3 kids, each with multiple devices. I have to go to each device that can reach the extender, connect the device to it, go to the router setup, add that mac to the parental controls, go back to the devce and reset it to the original connection it had.  And, how do I know what the extender changes the mac to?  The device will just show its own mac.

Ted
Options
2019-05-09 15:38:49 - last edited 2019-05-09 15:39:17

@TedWards 

Either the first half or the second half of the MAC will be similar to the original MAC address like what was mentioned in my initial reply.

Options
2019-12-22 16:46:18

I have the same issue however the user doesn’t show up on the router it only shows up when I click the extender. Also it shows the names device but I can’t configure any new parental controls for it and the previous don’t apply. Also child’s history when on the extender is not accessible either. Big concern there. @Tony 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1106

Replies: 4