My switch sometimes tripping my breakerbox when turn on

2024-03-01 03:08:12

My smart switch is tripping my break box when is turn on by hand or by Alexa order. I checked the cable connections several times and look fine.

The weird part is that this is happening just some times. Sometimes work normal. I changed into a new switch twice and still have the same problem. 

please need help. This is a single switch. 

I really do not know what to do. 

thank you

Options
3 Reply
Re:My switch sometimes tripping my breakerbox when turn on
2024-03-05 01:52:51

Hey @OCC3,

What lights are the device powering? How much power do the lights consume?

It is possible that the device is causing a significant jump in power consumption on the circuit and causing the breaker to flip.

Does it tend to happen when using other appliances or devices that are likely on the same circuit?

What specific model device are you using? Is this a smart switch or a dimmer switch?

Before installing the smart switch, did you ever have the breaker thrown like this?

Options
2024-04-30 21:00:23

I have the same problem with random tripping of the breaker. Very annoying!  It happens when i have more than 2 Kasa switches on one circuit.

My theory is that there is a constant trickle current to maintain the LED and communications circuitry in each device. This maybe just enough to put the breaker on the edge of tripping. Then some microscopic event in the breaker panel from some other circuit does the tripping. I have whole house surge protection and several UPS's. So, my current should be pretty steady.

What is the current required for a dormant and active Kasa switch?

- Ted

(ps I have about 30 Kasa devices that work thru Alexa, so I would like a definitive solution!)

Options
2024-05-02 20:35:09
I looked at the breaker again and realized it was a GFCI breaker which is sensitive to any trickle current. Is there a warning in the kasa packaging? - do not use on a GFCI circuit.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 174

Replies: 3

Related Articles