EAP controller software on a Raspberry Pi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP controller software on a Raspberry Pi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
25 Reply
Re:EAP controller software on a Raspberry Pi?
2018-02-22 04:01:04
Hello.

Tried the steps from above manually with my new Raspberry Pi Zero W. Unfortunately without success.

- start the Controller Software with "sudo tpeap start"
- below: "Starting EAP Controller ...... (lots of this)"
- start quits after 1-2 minutes with "Start failed."

I have installed EAP_Controller_v2.5.3_linux_x64.tar.gz. This is the one, i can download from the TP-Link-Website.

Anyone, who installed this version successfully or do i have to install another (older) version like the one from Arthur Gays description (v2.4.8)? But where can i download this older version?

thx for any help or suggestions

maddinla
Options
2018-02-22 19:54:45
Update:
...found the older version (v2.4.8). Had to scroll down the Website. :cool:

Made a new clean installation of Raspbian Stretch Lite and this older version of EAP-Controller. Again without success an the error message "Start failed".
Options
2018-02-23 00:20:42
Hello, you can download the older version from here: https://www.tp-link.com/en/download/EAP-Controller.html#Controller_Software.
Here is the direct link: http://static.tp-link.com/EAP_Controller_v2.4.8_linux_x64.tar.gz

Try to directly run the script:

[CODE]
wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Arth-ur/ea1a6709055cec3dab196c3490af6d99/raw/a0283f963f42a4c7a50200fa092cb3f2df87f1cb/eap-controller-pi.sh

chmod +x eap-controller-pi.sh

sudo ./eap-controller-pi.sh
[/CODE]
Options
2018-02-23 04:25:45
Hello arzul.

I tried the installation with the script.

Now the installation seemd to be ended without errors: "Install succeeded!" But this "Exec format error" ist still there.

The file "control.sh" still had the old informations, so i changed the lines with this "portt", the java-directory and ....server... into ....client.... (description from Arthur Gay).

My next start failed again:

???

I installed a clean raspbian-system, did the apt-get update/upgrade-thing, adjust date/time and started the script as you mentioned.

Is there something else i have to do, before this script can run as it should be???

...have no idea.

thx,
maddinla
Options
2018-02-23 17:25:30

Now the installation seemd to be ended without errors: "Install succeeded!" But this "Exec format error" ist still there.

The file "control.sh" still had the old informations, so i changed the lines with this "portt", the java-directory and ....server... into ....client.... (description from Arthur Gay).

If the content of the file control.sh has not changed, then it is likely that the install script has not run until the end and has not replaced the mongodb binaries.

[CODE]

cd path/to/eap # change current directory to eap controller install directory

rm bin/mongo bin/mongod # delete mongodb binaries
ln -s $(which mongo) bin/mongo # create symlinks to the replacement binaries for mongo
ln -s $(which mongod) bin/mongod # create symlinks to the replacement binaries for mongod[/CODE]

If the error persists, read the startup logs that are located in logs/startup.log. That may give you more information about what went wrong. Post it here if you'd like me to take a look at it.

The EAP controller has been working fine on my raspberrypi w zero since September. However, it is very long to startup.
Maybe try waiting longer (at least 10 minutes) and then run the following command to check that the EAP controller is running, ie. port 8088 is open and listening.

[CODE]netstat -plnt | grep :::8088[/CODE]
Options
2018-02-23 17:26:50

If the content of the file control.sh has not changed, then it is likely that the install script has not run until the end and has not replaced the mongodb binaries.

[CODE]

cd path/to/eap # change current directory to eap controller install directory

rm bin/mongo bin/mongod # delete mongodb binaries
ln -s $(which mongo) bin/mongo # create symlinks to the replacement binaries for mongo
ln -s $(which mongod) bin/mongod # create symlinks to the replacement binaries for mongod[/CODE]

If the error persists, read the startup logs that are located in logs/startup.log. That may give you more information about what went wrong. Post it here if you'd like me to take a look at it.

The EAP controller has been working fine on my raspberrypi w zero since September. However, it is very long to startup.
Maybe try waiting longer (at least 10 minutes) and then run the following command to check that the EAP controller is running, ie. port 8088 is open and listening.

[CODE]netstat -plnt | grep :::8088[/CODE]
Options
2018-02-23 18:16:19
Installed v.2.5.3 without any issues on Raspberry PI 3.

Interface on web manageet seems ok, but using a regular SD or USB flash may not be the best. Seems there is a lot of R/W going to the storage. Will consider replacing to a USB to SATA, and use a regulart disk instead.

Thanks for the great guide. Would be great if TP-Link made this in to an official supported package
Options
2018-02-24 00:09:37
Hi.

Think, that this "startup.log" helped to solve the problem...

Everyone who can read has definitely some advantages!!!

I didn't change the directory to the raspbians java, because i only filled "/usr" in here:
JAVA_TOOL=${JRE_HOME}/usr/bin/java instead of typing the right java-directory

JAVA_TOOL=/usr/bin/java
Damn!!! Shame on me... ;-)

....but the startup of tpeap still quits with this error message "Start failed." The startup.log shows this:

???

I remembered, that you wrote to check, if there is something listening on port 8088 with this "netstat.....blablabla". Did it and found this:

O.K. i thought and opened Firefox, typed in the IP-Adress of my Zero W and.....
...it works!

Thanks for your help! (sorry, can't find an icon for "thumbs up")

My next step will be to buy an USB-to-LAN-thing to make this more stable.

Gonna reboot the Pi now and hope, that the EAP-Controller starts after reboot...

If not, i'll be back and have to ask, how i can manually configure the raspberry to start this service after rebooting the Pi.

Thx,
maddinla
Options
2018-02-24 01:28:56

maddinla wrote

Gonna reboot the Pi now and hope, that the EAP-Controller starts after reboot...

If not, i'll be back and have to ask, how i can manually configure the raspberry to start this service after rebooting the Pi.

Thx,
maddinla

...back again. :cool:

The EAP-Controller doesn't start after rebooting the Pi.

I tried "sudo update-rc.d tpeap defaults" but this won't work.

I tried "sudo systemctl enable tpeap" ....and got this message:

Does anyone know how this works correctly???
Options
2018-02-24 05:48:21

maddinla wrote

I tried "sudo update-rc.d tpeap defaults" but this won't work.
[...]
Does anyone know how this works correctly???

That's b/c tpeap from TP-Link is not conforming to the Linux Standard Base (LSB): the runlevel definitions are missing.

Either use my tpeap script posted around June 2017 in another thread (use search function), which contains other improvements too, or simply add the following lines to the tpeap script and run update-rc.d again:

[CODE]### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: eap
# Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
# Required-Stop: $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# X-Interactive: true
# Short-Description: EAP Controller
# Description: Start TP-Link's EAP Controller
### END INIT INFO

[/CODE]
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻