TL-PA8035P not compatible with IPv6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-PA8035P not compatible with IPv6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:TL-PA8035P not compatible with IPv6
2017-10-06 15:20:43
In Germany, all VDSL is IPv6. Every single Windows 10 computer defaults to using IPv6 straight out of the box.

That's really the end of the story, unless you work for a hardware vendor who can't get it right and tries to argue their way out of it instead of fixing their product.
Options
2017-10-07 00:30:39
That's a particularly German situation then I think if you mean it's IPv6 only. How do they support the many devices that don't yet support IPv6? Or if you mean that IPv6 AND IPv4 are enabled by default then as above - most people wont care if they can't use IPv6.

And sure WIndows 10 supports IPv6 - Windows has supported that out of the box since Vista. Doesn't mean you have to use it...
Options
2017-10-09 15:41:23
It is IPv6 with IPv4 still supported as an extra. That's not the point though.

Every single Windows PC uses IPv6 by default, and it's way beyond normal home users to dabble with that.

The main point remains: In 2017, to have a brandnew home network infrastructure devices fail to support IPv6 is flat out pathetic. There simply isn't a viable excuse for this kind of miss.

If it is the official standpoint of TP-Link that IPv6 need not be supported, then advertize your kit as IPv4 only. Let's see what that does to sales figures.
Options
2017-11-25 06:46:06
So I've just wasted 10 hours wondering why my IPv6 had stopped working - never did I suspect the powerline adaptors (well until I'd exhausted all other options anyway!)!!

I've contacted UK Support based on the above. I really hope they have a firmware that fixes it (I have the TL-PA8030P) as some of you suggest. I have the V1 hardware - can anyone confirm if they have this problem resolved on V1 or V2 hardware?

It's beyond me as to why the support website would not host a firmware fix for this and make you contact them - it's just adding to their support load!!

Will report back in due course...
Options
2017-11-27 16:23:35
Welcome to the wonderful world of TP-Link product maintenance ... there has been beta firmware for the 8030P V1 and V2 over half a year ago. It eventually got released in July for the V2, but the V1 are still stuck on ancient March 2016 firmware.
Options
2017-11-30 18:42:39
So - I have a working solution!!! And to be fair to TP-Link Support they have been very responsive and knowledgeable regards the problem. I have as a sign off with them suggested they need to release a public firmware with this option in it!

Anyway, the answer was to DISABLE IGMP Snooping!

They provided me with a custom PLC Utility and 2 BIN files (one to enable, one to disable). The second I disabled IGMP Snooping everything worked perfectly!

In the hope it may help some others with this issue I have hosted the firmware and IGMP patch they gave me here;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uT65qF6NZxELJJS6AHYxcbD__KmNQT_Z

There is a short readme I have included, but it goes without saying use this completely at your own risk!!

TP-Link told me it should also work with the WPA8730 v1 so maybe a wider audience might be helped!

Finally, it's worth noting I am using these Powerline adaptors in a slightly unusual fashion, they carry WAN traffic from my Router<>Modem (allowing me to have the Router in the office and Modem on the Master Telephone socket). When used in a more traditional LAN environment IGMP Snooping may be more useful on than off, but everyone's mileage will vary depending on what you do on your network!
Options
2017-12-28 17:20:57
Thank you for your patience with their support, jdb, it works beautifully !

I have a bit of a good news for the model TL-PA80 35P V1 (the one which is for some reason only sold in France) : it works with the firmware for the TL-PA8030P V1 ! I was able to do the updates meant for the 8030 on my 8035.
I haven't dared to try the .nvm and .pib files that jdb provided, but I downloaded apparently the same firmware from the France mirror website. I'm not sure it was necessary for the fix (the dates don't match), but hey, note that it works. I really don't know what the difference is between these models. Is it just a commercial/legal issue ?

Then I used the Utility from jdb (please note : the "official" Utility doesn't provide the option for IGMP ! You have to use this one !), uploaded the .bin file that says "disable", and my IPv6 started to work again. :D

I think it's really dumb that we essentially have to choose between IPv6 and IGMP Snooping. I'm afraid to imagine what will happen if I do multicast with IPv6... :confused: I hope they'll fix it in an official release, especially the PA8035, because there's not a single firmware V1 to download on its page. -_-

In the mean time, a huge thank you for this help and upload !
(I've taken the liberty to upload the files here and there, just in case Google Drive was to remove them for some reason.)
Options
Re:Re:TL-PA8035P not compatible with IPv6
2019-02-03 18:45:19

thanks for this.  i was wondering why my devices connected to the 8030 powerline adapters weren't getting ipv6 addresses.  disabling igmp snooping with the utility and bin files worked beautifully, everything is great now.

Options
2020-02-20 17:05:22

@Tangeek 

Hello, I have same issues as the one you've described and have updated my TP Link with the 8030 firware. Nevertheless I would need the utility to disable IGMP. Would it be possible to put a new working link please?

Many thanks

Options
Re:Re:TL-PA8035P not compatible with IPv6
2020-02-21 17:29:47

@AaronC Hello Aaron, by chance would you still have the tool, files and procedure to disable IGMP?

many thanks

Cheers

Options