TL WA5210g WiFi network extension

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-30 22:47:24
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Model : WA5210g

Hardware Version : WA5210G v1 081640EF

Firmware Version : 4.4.8 Build 130502 Rel.61441n

ISP :

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to help my friend to solve a problem. He's an owner of small hotel or rather camp with several buildings 'scattered' at the wide area.
Buildings has been built about late 90'ties and only some of them was adapted and got IT infrastructure. So, modernised buildings are connected by LAN and each floor has an own AP.
It works quite good, just only problem is that there's only 20Mb/s and it's max what ISP can deliver. The hotel is int middle of nowhere, so we can't count for any fiber optic cable.
There're more than 20 different devices used to manage this network. The most of them are TP-Link's products and they works at 2.4Ghz. In my opinion it's enough to transmit those 20Mb. I have to admit that used devices are quite old, but for now I'm not going to replace them with newer. I'd like to improve present ones and solve few issues.

So, please check picture below. I draw a simple plan of situation.
As you can see, there is a building with WA5210g installed on the roof. TL works as a Acces Point. Signal is strong and without any problems reaches bungalows at the end of the area.
But the most important are apartments placed between main building and bungalows. This apartment building is made of concrete, steel and has a tin roof. So the WiFi signal disappears after 2-3 flats.

Someone installed another two WG5210g (on the outdoor lamps) in repeater mode and set them to emit the WiFi signal along the side of the building where are doors and huge windows. It gave a strong signal around and also inside of the apartments, but there's no internet connection.

The question is, why there is problem with Internet and what do you think about this concept? Are those devices able to work in this setup? Maybe we should replace some of them with different ones?
Could you suggest something? How to check what is the bottle neck of this idea. Of course I understand that repeater cut the bandwidth a half, but it's about 10Mb/s.

Thank you at advance for any help and sorry for my english.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL WA5210g WiFi network extension
2018-03-31 11:32:14
TL-WA5210 is outdated. It supports only 802.11b/g, which was state-of-the-art 12 years ago. Even then it was designed for directional links, not for local distribution of the WiFi signal. As for connectivity problems, they might be caused by 1) the directional antenna's narrow beam width (it's 60°H/30°V) and 2) hidden node problems (see wikipedia).

What's more, repeater mode will always make trouble due to cutting bandwidth by half per AP, in your case by a factor of four.

I would align the antennas of both remote WA5210 to the AP at the main building, change them from repeater mode to client mode and use an outdoor cable for the last few meters from the client APs to the building for feeding indoor APs with omnidirectional antennas.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-03-31 22:58:11
R1D2, thank you for your opinion. I'll check the problems with hidden node. I never heard of. So, maybe it's an issue. But I'd like to ask two more things.
You're absolutely right that WA5210g is really outdated but I'm wondering if using newer and faster devices instead of them will give us any benefits. Remember that maximum Internet speed is about 20Mbps, so 54Mbps of AP speed is more than enough - correct me if I'm wrong. You're also right that changing another two WA5210g from repeater to client mode and connect them with additional APs by wire is the best solution, but the problem is that I can't do this. It's about 80m from place of installation to the building and I'll have to dig in the hard ground, pavement, asphalt and it makes this concept expensive and time consuming. But you gave ma a tip and I'd like to discuss another new concepts.

Please find two pictures below.
First.

First one is to add two more WA5210g to present one and connect them with LAN wire in pairs. First one will work as a Client a second one as a AP (with proper set channel). Another pair will work in the same manner. I believe that properly set of direction will give us a quite good coverage even with narrow beam width of 60 degree. What do you think?

Second

It's modification of your concept. Maybe one WA5210g will be enough. It's necessary to move it from the lamp (the place where is installed now) and instal on roof in the middle of the building and set it as a Client. Signal by LAN wire should be transmitted to another two APs e.g. modern TL-EAP110 outdoor with omnidirectional antennas. It's necessary to place them outside because there's to many walls and barriers between apartments inside of the building. So, the signal won't be emit wide enough to cover whole building. I read that one EAP110 could cover about 200m around. Of course going further we can replace both WA5210g (AP and Client) with TL-CPE210 but is it worth?

Tell me what do you think about both concepts? I don't need to and I don't want to build modern network with incredible high capabilities which I'll never utilise.
Of course I would prefer the first concept because max. internet speed will be 20Mbps (and never faster) , WA5210g are cheap as chips ;-) and most of the network has been built already.
But I'm open for suggestions and explanations. Thank you.

File:
net_expand_eng2.jpgDownload
Options
2018-04-02 07:01:29

Ecru wrote

Remember that maximum Internet speed is about 20Mbps, so 54Mbps of AP speed is more than enough - correct me if I'm wrong.

Keep in mind that not all client devices do operate at fastest speed - depending on their position and depending on obstacles between them and the AP they might negotiate much slower speeds with the AP (e.g. down to 1 Mbps wireless speed in 802.11b/g, down to 6 Mbps in 802.11n). This will increase the AirTime they need to use on the expense of AirTime available for other clients. Compared to 802.11b/g, using 802.11n mode does not only increase WiFi speed - and therefore the available AirTIme for clients with good signal conditions - but also will cause fewer interference due to a better modulation scheme and improved channel separation. It also increases coverage somewhat and raise the reliability of the wireless links.

In other words: with ancient 802.11b/g mode you will hardly reach even the maximum data throughput of ~50% of the WiFi speed (54 Mbps) using repeater mode, but only data speed divided by 2^2 = 4 if using 2 repeaters. If data speed is ~24 Mbps (usual throughput over a single 54 Mbps WiFi link), this will yield 6 Mbps maximum speed for all clients connected to one of the two repeaters. If you would use 150 Mbps WiFi speed, you could get max. ~70 Mbps data speed, which will yield ~17 Mbps available to all clients when using 2 repeaters. So, 802.11n would be indeed better, even with only 22 Mbps Internet speed.

First one is to add two more WA5210g to present one and connect them with LAN wire in pairs. First one will work as a Client a second one as a AP (with proper set channel). Another pair will work in the same manner. I believe that properly set of direction will give us a quite good coverage even with narrow beam width of 60 degree. What do you think?

This setup would eliminate repeaters and would probably work better.

It's modification of your concept. Maybe one WA5210g will be enough. It's necessary to move it from the lamp (the place where is installed now) and instal on roof in the middle of the building and set it as a Client. Signal by LAN wire should be transmitted to another two APs e.g. modern TL-EAP110 outdoor with omnidirectional antennas. It's necessary to place them outside because there's to many walls and barriers between apartments inside of the building. So, the signal won't be emit wide enough to cover whole building. I read that one EAP110 could cover about 200m around. Of course going further we can replace both WA5210g (AP and Client) with TL-CPE210 but is it worth?

This is the best solution IMHO. As for EAP110-Outdoor, assume a radius of 50m resulting in a total coverage of 100m. Theoretically their signal can be seen in 200m, but most consumer devices won't be able to send back data over such a distance (their antennas are much weaker than those of any AP). ~50m with free line of sight or ~20m with several walls between the client and the AP would be more realistic.

Sure you could use a single WA5210 for the directional link, but if you replace it (somewhen in the future) with a CPE, use CPE510, not CPE210. This will give you much better throughput by using the 5 GHz band.

Tell me what do you think about both concepts? I don't need to and I don't want to build modern network with incredible high capabilities which I'll never utilise.

See above. It's best to try to increase the WiFi speed as much as possible in a PtMP setup with many clients in order to have enough AirTime for wireless retransmissions, mixture of slower/faster connections a
nd other APs interfering etc. But if using a PtP directional link (as in setup #2), 2x WiFi speed of required data speed would be o.k.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 661

Replies: 3