Locking AC50 to use only certain 2.4ghz channels

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-16 22:39:59

I can see in the GUI for the AC50 that I can either select channel as auto, or fixed to a single channel.  What I don't seem to be able to do (and is pretty standard in other WLCs) is to select the list of channels that are acceptable.

For instance, in 2.4ghz, I want to allow a channel selection of 1, 6 or 11 for obvious reasons, but I don't seem to be able to do this.  As a result I am seeing APs locking on mid frequency channel (9 and 13 seem to be very popular).

I want the Controller/AP to chose a valid channel (from the acceptable ones chosen) as a number of private SSID pop up and change channel frequently.

Paul

Options
5 Reply
Re: Locking AC50 to use only certain 2.4ghz channels
2018-08-16 23:54:35 - last edited 2018-08-17 00:12:09

Pablo wrote

For instance, in 2.4ghz, I want to allow a channel selection of 1, 6 or 11 for obvious reasons, but I don't seem to be able to do this.  As a result I am seeing APs locking on mid frequency channel (9 and 13 seem to be very popular).

That's correct, if you select automatic channel selection, the controller chooses the best channel out of all available channels.

Note that so-called "mid-frequency channels" (all are "mid-frequency", even 1 and 13, since they all overlap in the 2.4 GHz band and there are still frequencies below channel 1 and above channel 13!) might even be the best if rogue APs allocate a distant-enough channel. There are three methods to choose the best channel known as the "rule of 4", "rule of 5" and "rule of 6":

In 802.11n mode with channel width 20 MHz @ 2.4 GHz the minimum distance to get non-overlapping channels is 4 channels. In 802.11b/g and in mixed modes it is 5 channels.

Thus, if some rogue AP is using channel 5, you could either select channel 1 or a channel greater than 8 to get a non-overlappig channel if both APs use only 802.11n mode.

In 802.11b/g/n mixed mode, minimum channel distance should be at least 5 (1-6-11) and in some countries it could even be 6 (1-7-13) if channel 13 is allowed to use. But it could also be 2-7-12 or 3-8-13 if you follow the rule of 5. With the rule of 6 you only have two choices for what you call "mid-frequencies": 2-8 or 7-13.

Why would you want to avoid channels outside the 1-6-11 scheme? Can't imagine a good reason for it.

See the following picture for a very bad channel allocation of WiFi devices all using only 1-6-11:

In this case I would fix a new AP at either channels 3, 4, 8 or 13, but not 1, 6 or 11. There is less interference at the edge areas of the nearby 20 MHz-wide channels. So, if an AC50/500 uses channels 9 or 13 if it senses less interference, there is nothing wrong with its selection IMHO.

What's more, if people use 40 MHz channel width, their APs allocate 8 channels. Not much non-overlapping channels left to choose from for another AP and if it's using 40 MHz channel width, too, you have no change except to use overlapping channels.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: Locking AC50 to use only certain 2.4ghz channels
2018-08-17 01:50:47

It IS accepted that in the 2.4ghz spectrum that ch 1, 6 and 11 ARE the channels to use.  These are NON-OVERLAPPING channels.

In heavily populated areas you will find other SSIDs - You MIGHT call these ROGUE, but let say in an urban city, these are just APs not owned or controlled by this controller. 

So let's consider a situation where there are at least 3 other SSIDs outside of out control, sitting on channels 1, 6 and 11.  If my controller puts my SSIDs on channel 5 as you are suggesting, then I interfere with 2 of those SSID and not just 1 - More over, MY SSIDs have to compete with 2 other SSIDs and not just 1.

In a large scale deployment without channel limitations, then I assume my AC50 will use channels that conflict with my own SSIDs.

Anyway, this is all sematics, I've been deploying controller based Enterprise wireless for more than 10 years, and EVERY other business grade tool allow for set of channels to be selected, so why is TP Link so special that this is ignored.  If it were included and you wish to deploy wireless that splats on your neighbours that's your choice, but I'd like to have control on my 2.4ghz radios in a more granular way.

Options
Re:Re:Re: Locking AC50 to use only certain 2.4ghz channels
2018-08-17 14:20:35 - last edited 2018-08-17 14:53:26

Pablo wrote

It IS accepted that in the 2.4ghz spectrum that ch 1, 6 and 11 ARE the channels to use.  These are NON-OVERLAPPING channels.

This is wrong. Channel 1 always overlaps with channel 2 and 3, and the two channels below the mid-frequency of 1 if using 20 MHz channel width (as do most devices). Channel 6 overlaps with 4, 5, 7 and 8. If you want to get true non-overlapping channels 1-13, you have to set 5 MHz channel width, which is possible most often with Outdoor APs only. But you can't change other people's APs.

If any AP outside your control uses channel 2 or 3, you will have a rogue (or "foreign" or "other people's") AP overlapping with the channel of your AP using channel 1! In fact, all 2.4 GHz channels overlap, and this is the root of the problem everyone faces, since you cannot force anyone to only use 1-6-11 (or 2-7-12). Maybe a picture helps to clarify that all channels do overlap:

Note that APs with a weak signal below -80dBm won't interfere too much with your AP even if they overlap your channel.

It's only that your APs in a defined area should be set to different, non-overlapping (from their point of view!) channels. If using channel 2, 7 and 12 for your APs, then they don't overlap relative to each other. But they still do overlap with other devices not under your control as do channels 1-6-11.

In short, there is no such thing as "non-overlapping channels" if you take into account all APs around you.

Because you mentioned urban areas, I have 280 APs around my office in the 2.4 GHz band which are detected by our AP and I still get a fair amount of AirTime for our outdoor AP. There is not even the slightest change to use a "non-overlapping channel" with 280 devices!

As for locking the AC50, file a feature request with TP-Link support if you need this functionality.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re: Locking AC50 to use only certain 2.4ghz channels
2018-08-18 00:10:13

I'm talking about 'Best Practice' (or Good Practice) - And the term Non-Overlapping channels is accepted (at least by those who know, deploy and use enterprise wireless service)

Take a look at one of the many 'best practice' guides around such as the following

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Channel_Planning_Best_Practices

However, these are considered 'Non Overlapping' channels ONLY because they do not interfere with EACH OTHER, not poorly configured network from neighbours.

I wanted was some rationale or perhaps some feedback from TP Link around this omission from their software - Clearly I have chosen the wrong place to do so.

Now to find how to file a feature request

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re: Locking AC50 to use only certain 2.4ghz channels
2018-08-18 00:27:17

Yes, but best practice for me in the EU still is the "rule of 5", not some fixed channels others insist on b/c in other countries they don't have the change to use channels up to 13 and are limited to the 1-6-11 scheme. I trust my Netspot measurements if in doubt.

Regarding feature requests, either use the Requests & Suggestions forum or file a ticket with local TP-Link support.

Options