Omada Controller 3.0.2 for Linux (including new tpeap v1.4)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada Controller 3.0.2 for Linux (including new tpeap v1.4)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
109 Reply
Re: Omada Controller 3.0.2 for Linux (including new tpeap v1.4)
2018-12-28 14:00:35 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

DaltonGrat wrote

My raspbian Stretch Lite has no Java and mongo installed. Trying to install it gives several errors. I will try to install Raspbian again and start all over

Hi DaltonGrat,

yes, try the full Raspbian system and disable or de-install packages you don't need later (e.g. graphics). This ensures that you have everything needed for Omada Controller. Alternatively, consider use of the stand-alone Omada Controller hardware (OC200). It's a bit more expensive compared to RasPi, but works out of the box.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: Omada Controller 3.0.2 for Linux (including new tpeap v1.4)
2018-12-28 15:04:02 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

The OC200 is the best option for a newbie like me, I know...

But I allready have 2 raspberry pi from former projects so I will try installing the full Raspbian first.

With the full version of Raspbian I don't need to install Java, jsvc and mongodb manually?

Do I need to set up a role account?

Is it possible to download a ready-to-use raspbian image with omada controller software?

Thank you for your help and patience.

Options
2018-12-28 15:25:14 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

DaltonGrat wrote

With the full version of Raspbian I don't need to install Java, jsvc and mongodb manually?

Do I need to set up a role account?

Is it possible to download a ready-to-use raspbian image with omada controller software?

The full Raspbian 9.6 includes Oracle's JRE, jsvc and mongodb already. No need to install any of those packages (at least on my RasPi 3 B those packages came pre-installed with Raspbian 9). AFAIK if you install later you have the choice between the JRE from OpenJDK and Oracle JRE. Choose the latter for Omada Controller.

If you use my deb package you don't need to set up a role account. It does this automatically before installing the files. For the ready-to-use Raspbian see the official repository - when I downloaded the full image, it was Raspbian/Debian 9.6 after updating the distro using apt-get

Options
Re:Omada Controller 3.0.2 for Linux (including new tpeap v1.4)
2018-12-28 22:47:07 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

Thank you for the effort you put in making this community version of the EAP Controller software. In the end we decided not to use it, because it turned out to be very simple to run the official software on a Raspberry Pi and in that case we'd prefer to run unedited software ;)

Version 3.0.5 also seems to be released almost two months ago. Although I do not understand why it does not show up on all language websites. The Dutch website is stuck on 3.0.2, while the English website does show 3.0.5.

We've written a blogpost detailing the linux commands we used, if anybody is interested: https://dreambyte.nl/2018/12/27/installing-eap-controller-on-raspberry-pi/. We've included a small headsup to this topic, as it was helpful to read. Thanks a bunch!

Edit:

Just to be clear, we're not saying there is anything wrong with the community version. It is probably awesome software.

We're just saying that running the official version provided by TP-Link is so easy we prefered to do that, and we documented how we did it. 

Options
2018-12-29 00:17:45 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

jobhh wrote

... and in that case we'd prefer to run unedited software ;)

Just to make it clear: The community version of Omada Controller is completely unedited except for the removal of x86 binaries (which make the official distribution architecture-dependent and unable to run on Raspbian or any other ARM CPU) and improvements to the start-stop script tpeap (added missing privilege separation).

It uses exactly the same, unaltered Java code as in the corresponding TP-Link official versions (2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0). What has been edited is an optional alternative theme for the web UI (mainly CSS styles) in version 2.7.0 of EAP Controller - and only in v2.7.0, for which TP-Link did not provide an official Linux version long time until late 2018.

Please don't make false claims here.

We've written a blogpost detailing the linux commands we used ...

The Raspbian package of the community version does all those steps you described in your blog post, but in an automatic manner (pre-install scripts). This package had been requested by people who have only little knowledge of the shell.

I personally don't use the Controller on RasPi at all (in fact I bought a Pi only for porting); we use the Controller since v2.4 on our own hardware based on AMD GX-412TC SoC, which is fully x86-64 compatible  - and yes, I still replace the start-stop script and outdated embedded JRE/mongod binaries even in TP-Link's x86 version in favour of the official Java/mongodb software from the Oracle and Debian repositories because of their latest security fixes.

It's just this replacement of the embedded binaries, which did constitute the community version and which was long time the only Linux version available after the v2.4.8 desaster. Reason for the community version was my early fix of a serious security hole (a Java root exploit), which finally has been included (the fix!) by TP-Link since v2.7.0.

Starting with the official version 2.7.0 there is no reason to use the community version - except if you want a ready-to-use install package for the Pi or an improved tpeap script for all Linux platforms -, because all official versions now will include the community version's privilege separation in their tpeap/control.sh by using jsvc.

I still run my own x86 version with newer Java/mongod software and an improved tpeap script (now renamed to omadactl), but won't publish it anymore, because I finally reached my goal of having TP-Link add privilege separation nearly one year (!) after hackers took over several Internet servers through Java holes in the official EAP Controller.

Thus, there is and will be no v3.0.5 community version and I have re-gained my spare time. 

Options
Re:Re:Omada Controller 3.0.2 for Linux (including new tpeap v1.4)
2018-12-29 07:49:48 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

With your instructions I finally got it working!

Thank you for your help.

Options
2018-12-29 08:20:20 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

Thus, there is and will be no v3.0.5 community version and I have re-gained my spare time. 

So sad  

But of course I am happy to hear you have spare time again!

Options
2018-12-29 09:46:14 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

Hi DaltonGrat,

glad to hear that it works. Enjoy it!

AlienMindbender, don't worry! If there is enough interest, I will make the new omadactl script available as an independent .deb package.

It's just that a) it makes not much sense to create installable packages since there is an official one now and b) there is no hurry anymore to fix the privilege escalation bug after TP-Link finally took privilege separation in. This means one has to install two separate packages in the future: the official one from TP-Link and mine with omadactl, which then corrects everything to make the Controller run on any CPU architecture again.

Biggest advantage of this soultion is that I don't have to adapt the package to each new version. Secondly, I don't have to explain over and over again that the community version included the same Java code as TP-Link's version.

But I still wait for the 3.1 version of Omada Controller, which was announced for December – only two and a half days left. 

Options
2019-01-07 14:37:41 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

We never meant to imply there is something wrong with the community version. I've edited our post to reflect this.

P.S.

I don't know how to quote on the TP-Link forums yet :p

Edit:
As you've decided to have some spare time, I've created a seperate topic not to further clutter this community version topic: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/152609

Options
Re:Omada Controller 3.0.2 for Linux (including new tpeap v1.4)
2019-01-28 20:48:07 - last edited 2019-03-06 01:55:43

Thank you for your work and scripts! I encountered some issues but finally got it working on my pi. 

I couldn't use full Raspbian Stretch because the image was too large for my sd card... So after installing Stretch Lite I had to install java and mongodb myself (Oracle and openJDK version both worked with Omada!). Then used the Omada controller deb package from this thread. Omada didn't automatically start. Had to change the java setting to -client. Manually started omadactl and it worked! Then rebooted the Pi, but Omada didn't start automatically... My solution was to add omadactl to rc.local. Now it auto starts on boot. Is this solution ok or not advised?

It takes my Pi 1 B+ more than 10 minutes to launch, every time! I don't care that much, but I wouldn't expect any program to take that much time to launch, even on a B+ ...

So for any one interested, these were my steps:

$ sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-jdk
    $ sudo apt-get install jsvc
    $ sudo apt-get install mongodb
    $ ftp ftp.rent-a-guru.de

Name: ftp
    Password: "yourmail"
    ftp> cd /private
    ftp> bin
    ftp> get omada-controller_3.0.2-2_all.deb
    ftp> quit
    $ sudo dpkg -i omada-controller_3.0.2-2_all.deb