Port Isolation or VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Port Isolation or VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Port Isolation or VLAN
Port Isolation or VLAN
2019-03-22 15:01:31
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have a scenario where a client is providing Internet access to the residents in an apartment complex.  I have a TT1600G-28TS switch in each building with a fiber link back to the main clubhouse IT room.  In each building IT room, each apartment unit will be connected to the T1600G-28TS switch by an assigned port.  There are 12 buildings and 250 apartment units.  I need to setup so that each apartment unit can see the Internet and only the Internet(firewall/router).  They should not be able to see any device on any other switch.  I also need to make sure they can not see the interface of the switch they are connected to.

My final setup will be this:

Switch 1, port 1 ----- Apt 101 (same setup for all apartment units in each building)

Switch 1, port 25 ---- Switch 13, port 25

Switch 2, port 25 ---- Switch 13, port 26

Switch 3, port 25 ---- Switch 13, port 27

Switch 4, port 25 ---- Switch 13, port 28

Switch 5, port 25 ---- Switch 14, port 25

Switch 6, port 25 ---- Switch 14, port 26

Switch 7, port 25 ---- Switch 14, port 27

Switch 8, port 25 ---- Switch 14, port 28

Switch 9, port 25 ---- Switch 15, port 25

Switch 10, port 25 ---- Switch 15, port 26

Switch 11, port 25 ---- Switch 15, port 27

Switch 12, port 25 ---- Switch 15, port 28

Switch 13, port 23 ---- Switch 14, port 24

Switch 14, port 23 ---- Switch 15, port 24

Switch 15, port 23 ---- Switch 16, port 24

Switch 16, port 24 ---- Firewall/router

In order to work on this and figure it out, I broke it down to a more manageable test environment of just 3 switches and that looks like:

Switch 1, port 1 ----- my laptop (representing apartment unit)

Switch 1, port 23 ----- Switch 2, port 24

Switch 2, port 23 ----- Switch 3, port 24

Switch 3, port 24 ----- Firewall/router

I have tried port isolation, but had some difficulties.  I understand the basics and have port 1 set as isolated and port 23 set as the forwarding port for port 1.  With this setup, I can access my firewall as long as it is plugged in to port 23, which is what I expect.  I can not see the firewall in any other port.  Good so far.  When I put the 2nd switch into the picture, and move the firewall to any port on that switch, I can see the firewall.  It is like the port isolation is dropped once it crosses switches.  I am sure I am not configuring the ports between switches correctly.

I have aslo tried VLANs.  I believe this to be the worst scenario of the two options as if I put each apartment unit on it's own VLAN, there will be 250 VLANs just for units.  That doesn't count any for admin use.  In any case, I have setup the following in the VLAN.

VLAN 101 (ports 1, 23 and 24 all untagged)

VLAN 10 (ports 1 - 22 untagged and ports 23 and 24 tagged)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Port Isolation or VLAN
2019-03-22 16:09:55

UPDATE.

I bleive I resolved the problem I was having with port isolation.  Unfortunately I hda my WiFi on my lptop still enabled ao when I was testing the port isolation and moving my firewall to the 2nd switch, the Ethernet card was timing out and unabl to reach the firewall, but my wifi was then taking over and was able to reach it.  This made it look like the port isolationi was not working. Once I disabled the WiFi, I have been able to get all 3 switches in place and can only seethe firewall when it is in a port I want to see it.

Sorry for the rookie mistake!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1642

Replies: 1

Related Articles