potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3
2019-05-10 17:13:04 - last edited 2019-05-10 17:14:00

there is the situation with the devices that can't connect to the TP-Link EAP245

here it's a usb dongle Netgear WNDA3100

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3
2019-05-11 00:20:44 - last edited 2019-05-11 00:35:32

Im not from TP-Link but Netgear WNDA3100 is a 802.11n device which is really old

Sometimes these old device does not play well if you have band steering enabled( i.e. I have a withings body scale that refuse to connect to SSID that's band steering, but works fine if I give it a seperate SSID with only 2.4G enabled)

I'd recommand you create a separate SSID and only enabled 2.4G to test out your dongle. (remember not enable airtime fairness since it's causing problem as well)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3
2019-05-11 00:32:58 - last edited 2019-05-11 00:34:41

Pascal wrote

Tried no force disociation and band steering 15,5,1 still the issues and less users are now with 5GHZ, even iPhone X stay with 2.4GHZ What I realize too, is the frequency update status managed OC200 is really slow. One user was out of the site, and I seen his device stay into client list still after 4minutes of is physical disconnection. Does any one had already face this ? and does someone tried the latest firmware OC200 with EAP330 ???

at home I use seperate SSID's for 5G and 2.4G as I never trust these band steering technologies (go look at eero(now Amazon owned) and google wifi on reddit, they are the 2 companies that's marketing automatic band sterring as their core advantage compare to traditional wifi, and see how many people's device won't connect/won't steer, and if company marketing this technology and at their size cannot do it right, it means band steering is a pure marketing hype and is a mission impossible technically, don't even dream TP-Link on this)

TLDR; use seperate SSID for 5G and 2.4G, forget about band steering, you will be glad you made this decision

Options
2019-05-13 11:35:26

@pixielark 

apparently You didn't read all this topic

please review the #7 post and you will understand why this topic got the name of potential broken 2.4GHz

I already tried with separate SSID with only 2.4GHZ...

and for your information, the old Netgear dongle is 802.11n  and can connect with 2.4GHZ AND 5GHZ.

no issues at all with him if we try it with an ASUS dual band wifi router ou a Cisco dual band AP.

Your advise _

to Forget the band steering and/or the FastRoaming and/or the Airtime Fairness is not a solution if we decided to invest into TP-Link with these options

_ is  only an alusion or understatement to not trust TP-Link and them solutions, and will not help to resolve the issues met here.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3
2019-05-13 11:51:58
In fact You got right remove ALL special features and ALL your wifi network will work as basic standards. But we lose then ALL the benefits provided by the rechearsh of new solution that provide better comfort of usage in term of speed and automatism during the roam between many AP. Let fall these ideas, as only MARKETINGS solutions, will left no choice to the engineers to NOT product new solution and stay with very old protocols. I'm sure we can find into the web forums, OLD issues with 802.11g in the past, and if we keep your philosophy, we can stay with the 802.11b that is working fine.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3
2019-05-21 15:11:11

@Pascal 

I had been off-forum for a while, just saw your reply.

1. you are right about the update interval. It is not real time. But I can share you that from my experience on Omada and Meraki, they are more or less similar in the update interval design, Unifi controller is even slower. Anyway, this won't bother me so much because it is just a displaying latency. 

2. For the bandsteering settings, I am sorry to know that my suggestion made the steering behavior less sensitive in your scenario.

According to your test result, tune band steering to 15,5, 3.  (the higher the 3rd figure, the higher possibility to steering a client to 5GHz. My optimized number is from 3 to 5.)

3. for 2.4G, click the AP menu, 2.4Ghz bandwitdth choose "40Mhz". 

If you use RSSI threshold, set the number under "-75dbm". (it is negative, be careful, I suggest to try from -75 ~ -79)

4. I still recommend upgrading the OC200 firmware, if you are not using portal function, it shouldn't cause serious issue on EAP330.

They change the SSID profile structure.

Options
2020-05-24 13:26:38

@pixielark Thanks for your post!

pixielark wrote

Im not from TP-Link but Netgear WNDA3100 is a 802.11n device which is really old

Sometimes these old device does not play well if you have band steering enabled( i.e. I have a withings body scale that refuse to connect to SSID that's band steering, but works fine if I give it a seperate SSID with only 2.4G enabled)

I'd recommand you create a separate SSID and only enabled 2.4G to test out your dongle. (remember not enable airtime fairness since it's causing problem as well)

I just purchased and installed a TP-Link Deco M9 Plus system in my home and have been having problems with my Withings scale ever since.  I found your post.  I wasn't able to find a way to create a 2nd SSID with my system, but I turned on Guest WiFi and turned 5g off of that SSID, then connected the Withings scaled to the guest WiFi and now it works great.

Options