Mode trunk

Mode trunk
Mode trunk
2019-05-12 08:05:04
Model: T2600G-28TS(TL-SG3424)
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello,

Yesterday I've installed a new switch T2600G-28TS but I was not able to change mode trunk for a dedicated port...

It seems that this option was removed from the new software version.

However I was able to do that after a downgrade with V2 firmware.

This situation is not acceptable !

Options
5 Replies
Re:Mode trunk
2019-05-13 08:47:04

Yeah, tp-link changed their firmware design for some functions, so regarding your question now switches with new fw design don't support access/general/trunk port modes, while you still can use only general port mode, which should be fine for you.

If you need access (vlan 2 as example) -> use switchport general allowed vlan 2 untagged, switchport pvid 2, no switchport general allowed vlan 1

if you need trunk -> use switchport general allowed vlan 2-10 tagged

I also do not like it, but it is the future of tp-link switches.

Options
Re:Mode trunk
2019-05-15 03:37:31

About the trunk port, I remember that the packets will be untagged if the VLAN ID is equal to PVID. 

For example, if the PVID is 1, the outgoing packets of VLAN 1 will be untagged. If use general port to set up, remember to set up the untagged port.

Options
Re:Re:Mode trunk
2019-05-16 16:31:31

This new system has me very confused...

So on every dedicated VLAN port you need to do "no switchport general vlan allowed 1"?

I'm also confused about the use of PVID, is it obligatory to configure or not?
I've been wanting to apply VLAN's on a T1600G-28TS and I've read the documentation but it is limited in it's examples imo.

If I have 3 VLANS (7,8,9) and VLAN 1 I assume you would go about configuring this in CLI like this? =>
VLAN 8 being a voice vlan, i've applied the configuration from the manual but haven't had the chance to test it yet.
This is what I've got so far:
interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/2
switchport mode general
switchport general allowed vlan 7,8,9 tagged
speed 1000
no shutdown
interface range gigabitEthernet 1/0/7-11
switchport voice vlan mode manual
switchport voice vlan security
switchport general allowed vlan 8 untagged
switchport PVID 8
no shutdown
interface range gigabitEthernet 1/0/15-20
switchport mode general
switchport general allowed vlan 9 untagged
switchport PVID 9
speed 1000
no shutdown

With port 2 being the trunk port, now what confuses me is how do I apply the PVID to port 2 as there are multiple VLAN's present.
Is this anywhere near correct?

Thanks in advance

Options
Re:Re:Re:Mode trunk
2019-05-17 02:53:47

zerat wrote

So on every dedicated VLAN port you need to do "no switchport general vlan allowed 1"?

I've been wanting to apply VLAN's on a T1600G-28TS and I've read the documentation but it is limited in it's examples imo.

If I have 3 VLANS (7,8,9) and VLAN 1 I assume you would go about configuring this in CLI like this? =>
VLAN 8 being a voice vlan, i've applied the configuration from the manual but haven't had the chance to test it yet.
switchport mode general
speed 1000
no shutdown
switchport PVID 8
no shutdown
switchport mode general
switchport PVID 9
speed 1000
no shutdown

With port 2 being the trunk port, now what confuses me is how do I apply the PVID to port 2 as there are multiple VLAN's present.

Thanks in advance

"no switchport general vlan allowed 1" is used for remove the port from VLAN 1. If you don't want the port belong to VLAN 1, you can use this command.

About the trunk port, please make sure that the device connected to trunk port support VLAN tag as well. You port 2 is general port and tagged, the data from VLAN 7,8,9 is tagged, I think you don't need to change the PVID for port 2. PVID is used for untagged data, when switch receive the untagged data, the data will belong the VLAN which PVID is. Switch port can only has one PVID.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Mode trunk
2019-05-20 09:50:34

zerat wrote

switchport mode general
speed 1000
no shutdown
switchport PVID 8
no shutdown
switchport mode general
switchport PVID 9
speed 1000
no shutdown

Thanks in advance

If you are familiar with cisco (which is obv because of 'no shutdown' :)), PVID is the same as native vlan. All untagged data will go to this VLAN.

If you need typical 'access' port, then delete vlan 1 from the port (no switchport general allowed vlan 1), otherwise your port will receive VLAN 1 traffic, but you do not want it. PVID is OK in your examples.  For some vendors, like D-Link, which also use some kind of only 'general' ports, it is typical to have 'enable pvid auto_assign' command by default, so you do not need to configure PVID manually.

Options