✶Update 09/2020✶ Omada Controller 3.2.10 for Debian, Raspbian and other Linux systems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

✶Update 09/2020✶ Omada Controller 3.2.10 for Debian, Raspbian and other Linux systems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
168 Reply
Re: Omada Controller 3.2.1 for Debian, Raspbian and any other Linux system
2019-10-30 22:42:38

LucianoR, thanks for your feedback! Good to know that OC runs with OpenJDK 8 on the Pi.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:[New update 11/2019] Omada Controller 3.2.4 for Debian, Raspbian and any other Linux system
2019-11-15 18:38:58 - last edited 2019-11-15 18:57:54

Update notification for new version of Omada Controller 3.2.4

Options
Re:[New update 11/2019] Omada Controller 3.2.4 for Debian, Raspbian and any other Linux system
2019-11-16 14:46:15

@R1D2 Installed the 3.2.4 version my Raspberry Pi 4 per instructions.

Since I had previously installed using the .tar.gz I had errors copying the DB using omadactl so I had to rename the installation directory:

sudo mv EAPController OmadaController-3.2.1

And I was unable to find the omadad on the SystemV initilization units, just the old tpeap:

pi@raspberrypi:/opt/tplink $ sudo systemctl list-units | grep omada
pi@raspberrypi:/opt/tplink $ sudo systemctl list-units | grep tpeap
● tpeap.service                                                                                                                                                 not-found active exited    tpeap.service                                        

So my guess there is none installed?

Options
2019-11-16 18:21:06 - last edited 2019-11-16 19:03:28

@LucianoR, if you had installed the official version manually (that's done with the install.sh shell script in the TAR version), you should disable its start/stop script tpeap at least and rename the /opt/tplink/OmadaController directory before installing a .deb package (the same applies also to the official .deb package). Remember to back up the old version's database as described in the installation instructions.

If mixing the official version – either the TAR or .deb version – with the community version, you will always end up with two versions. Don't do this, even not with any other software package!

BTW: there is a typo in your systemctl command: The start/stop script of the community version is omadad, not omada (note the 'd' at the end, it stands for 'daemon' and corresponds to Linux best practice).

Try the following:

• Make sure that /opt/tplink/OmadaController is a symlink to /opt/tplink/OmadaController-3.2.4.
  • Disable the old tpeap service with systemctl. It was manually installed with the TAR version.
  • Enable the omadad service of the community version with systemctl to have the controller start automatically on reboot.

Rule of thumb: never install different versions at the same time. The TAR version is for x86 architectures only, the RasPi has an ARM architecture. So, the TAR version is incompatible with other architectures such as the RasPi's ARM CPU (that's why the architecture-independent community version of the controller exists at all).

Hope this helps. If not, consider removal of both versions and re-install the community version again. Make sure you have a backup of the old settings (either a copy of the database under /opt/tplink/OmadaController/data or a backup file created through the Omada Controller's web UI)!

Options
2019-11-18 15:24:34

@R1D2 yeah, I was able to remove the old version and install the new one, and migrate my site data without a problem. I used 'omada' just as a substring while using grep - no mistake there.

However, I don't understand why I need to rename the /opt/tplink/EAPController to OmadaController before using dpkg? I looked at the 'postinst' and 'preinst' scripts and they support the EAPController folder removal. So I guess that step is optional?

Thanks

Options
2019-11-18 16:21:01 - last edited 2019-11-18 16:39:21

Hi LucianoR,

yes, you're right. It was caused when Auranet EAP Controller was renamed to Omada Controller.

I did not follow whether the official version still uses EAPController as the name for the directory or changed it, but community version switched very early to the name OmadaController. Thus, the step is optional.

One reason why official and community version were incompatible (at the time they did share the name EAPController) is that official version places files always into the same directory, thus making it impossible to deploy more than one controller version. Community version (early TAR variants) was able to install several co-existing versions of the controller by using a versioned directory pointed to by the symlink EAPController, so you could switch back and forth between controller versions anytime. Now, official .deb packages remove older versions, but the naming scheme with a symlink and a version-related directory name still remains, since it has the nice side-effect of preserving old databases when installing a new controller version.

People nowadays prefer to have a .deb package rather then the TAR format choosen originally, but you could also preserve the top-level directory for an older controller version manually (either by copying its directory content or by renaming the directory) when installing a new version. This way you can use the omadactl switch command to choose the active controller version and this is controlled with the symlink pointing to the actual OmadaController-x.y.z (or even the older EAPController-x.y.z) directory.

Thus, a downgrade of Omada Controller community version is possible as long as you have the old database and remaining files. That's not true for the official version: downgrade might not be possible once the database got converted to a new version according to their release notes – on Linux it indeed is possible as you and me know :-)

For example, this is from my server:

$ omadactl -l version
Currently installed versions:
    EAP Controller 2.7.0
    EAP Controller 3.0.2
    Omada Controller 3.0.2
    Omada Controller 3.0.4
    Omada Controller 3.0.5
    Omada Controller 3.1.13
    Omada Controller 3.2.1
    Omada Controller 3.2.4 (current)

Options
2019-12-24 22:11:02

@R1D2 

First off, I wanted to thank you for publishing this thread. The amount of detail provided is very helpful when trying to get this working. And understanding what's going on under the hood.

I am trying to setup Omada Controller 3.2.4 on FreeBSD, which is different enough from Linux that most approaches don't seem to work.

I'll start another thread for that, but for now I will mention that using dpkg on FreeBSD 11 doesn't seem to work with the community package. Probably because the typical directories in Linux are not present on FreeBSD.

Errors like this will show:

dpkg -i omada-controller_3.2.4-1_all.deb
dpkg: error: failed to open package info file '/var/db/dpkg/status' for reading: No such file or directory

This is more likely due to a dpkg issue. Touching that file yeilds:

dpkg -i omada-controller_3.2.4-1_all.deb
Selecting previously unselected package omada-controller.
(Reading database ... 0 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack omada-controller_3.2.4-1_all.deb ...
.: cannot open /usr/share/debconf/confmodule: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing archive omada-controller_3.2.4-1_all.deb (--install):
 new omada-controller package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 omada-controller_3.2.4-1_all.deb

I'm not an FreeBSD or Linux expert, and even less familiar with the deb process, so I will try to pursue a manual installation of java controller using locally built JSVC and other freeBSD packages.

I just wanted to note the comments in this thread have been helpful for this. Cheers.

Options
2019-12-24 23:51:02 - last edited 2019-12-24 23:53:29

Hi @elmado,

thanks for your remarks. It's been a very long time since I used BSD Unix and I had no change to follow its evolution since then. But setting up Omada Controller is very easy if packages for JRE, jsvc, mongod, netstat and curl are available already. Omada Controller itself can be installed everywhere in the directory tree (/opt/tplink is just a conventional place, no other dependencies exist), so starting with TP-Link's TAR archive (not my deb-Package for Linux) would be the best way.

You just have to correct the file permissions of Omada Controller to make Privilege Separation work correctly (the file permissions are still pretty much wrong in the official TP-Link package). If it helps, I could send you a directory listing where you can see the correct permissions or even send you a TAR archive with Omada Controller you just would have to unpack. But you should make sure to have JRE and the utilities mentioned above working before trying to install Omada Controller.

Options
2019-12-25 08:15:10 - last edited 2019-12-25 08:18:09

@R1D2 

Thanks, I would be happy to check out the permissions to see if they are incorrect on my install.

I think I got most of the required packages (I can run netstat, curl, mongo, jsvc and java). But am running into errors trying to start the controller. I've posted the details in this thread.

Regards

Options
[Update 01/2020] Omada Controller 3.2.6 for Debian, Raspbian and any other Linux system
2020-01-16 17:17:53

Update notification for new version of Omada Controller 3.2.6

Options