Sharing a common IP camera between different homes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-18 23:47:07 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Ver:2.1

Hello everyone,

I am trying to share a common IP camera between all apartment in the same building,

Each apartment has its own router/s and their own ISP on their wan ports (and will have its own dhcp server accordingly). what I am trying to accomplish is to connect this camera to a switch or a router and have all routers in different flats connect to that switch thru their lan ports.

Isurprise am not shure if i can do this with a normal switch or a I should use a router, but the main concern to prevent any client from the different lans to have access to other LANs or wans from other routers thru this router or switch.

Is static routing the solution? If so please advice for the way or what I should do if not.

Topology:

Thanxsmiley

Options
10 Reply
Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-19 16:09:13 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

You need to control LAN sub-networks to be different for all clients in your topology. If it is unreal, you will fail. If it is real, then static routing with VLAN Interfaces would be enough, I guess. I would use some cheap router, like Mikrotik, which can create several subnetworks for each port and configure static routing.

Options
Re:Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-20 13:11:03 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

Thanx Mitya

Yes let's assume that all LANs have different subnets.

So I should configure the router attached to the camera with VLANs?

But what happens if somone changed his router IP (sbnet) then I should reconfigure the camera router again to mach his change.

Also what can I do if I have more than 4 apartments then this router with 4 Vlan ports will not be sufficient.

Any other ideas or solutions or workarounds.

Thanx 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-21 09:58:20 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

Maybe you can use a Router with multiple WANs to connect 4 apartments. 4 WAN ports can get the IP address from routers of 4 apartments. 4 apartments can use differernt subnets.  If somone changed his router IP, your router is using DHCP, it can get the IP address again automatically.

If you have more than 4 apartments, I don't know whether have the router with more than 4 WAN ports. But you can choose the layer3 switch, then set up the VLAN and VLAN interface. But layer3 switch is more expensive. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-21 14:30:37 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

Kals wrote

Thanx Mitya

But what happens if somone changed his router IP (sbnet) then I should reconfigure the camera router again to mach his change.

Also what can I do if I have more than 4 apartments then this router with 4 Vlan ports will not be sufficient.

Thanx 

You either use L2+/L3 switch with different VLAN per port and configure statis routing, or you use router (without NAT) to configure different subnets for each port. I will insist on using some kind of CRS Mikrotik.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-21 16:24:57 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

Mitya wrote

Kals wrote

Thanx Mitya

Thanx

You either use L2+/L3 switch with different VLAN per port and configure statis routing, or you use router (without NAT) to configure different subnets for each port. I will insist on using some kind of CRS Mikrotik.

Thank you all for trying to help.

Mitya thanks I will check your recommended ones, BTW I came across this article TL-SG108PE

Let's say that I will follow scenario 1, and I will not give a static IP for the camera, that is hooked up in place of the router on port1, and each apartment to a different port with a separate VLan that will always include port 1:

VLan 1: port1 & port2

VLan 2: port1 & port2

VLan 3: port1 & port3

VLan 7: port1 & port8

And I use IP & Mac binding on each router from the different routers in every apartment to bind the MAC adress of the IP camera with a specific IP according to each router's subnet.

Will this be an enough setup?

And how will the camera determine which path it will take when someone is accessing it remotely using a cloud service?

Thanks again

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-24 08:23:39 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

Kals wrote

Mitya wrote

Kals wrote

Thanx Mitya

Thanx

Thank you all for trying to help.

Mitya thanks I will check your recommended ones, BTW I came across this article TL-SG108PE

Let's say that I will follow scenario 1, and I will not give a static IP for the camera, that is hooked up in place of the router on port1, and each apartment to a different port with a separate VLan that will always include port 1:

VLan 1: port1 & port2

VLan 2: port1 & port2

VLan 3: port1 & port3

VLan 7: port1 & port8

And I use IP & Mac binding on each router from the different routers in every apartment to bind the MAC adress of the IP camera with a specific IP according to each router's subnet.

Will this be an enough setup?

And how will the camera determine which path it will take when someone is accessing it remotely using a cloud service?

Thanks again

I do not understand, how it will work in your topology. First of all, why are you talking about any cloud service for ip-camera, if it is in some super-private local subnet. How should it be able to connect to internet? Via what? I definitely thought you are going to make it local. Otherwise, why do you need to create such weird topology, if you can just give to everyone cloud access?

No, it will not work on Scenario of TL-SG108E, as you need to give different subnets for everything. LAN1 - 192.168.1.0/24, LAN2 - 192.168.2.0/24 ... LAN10 - 192.168.10.0/24? while IP-camera will be in its own subnet, e.g. 192.168.254.0/24. Then you cannot do it with L2 switch, you will need to configure routing anyway.

I feel you are trying to do something, what you do not need. Explain, what is your scenario for camera, what is the model of the camera and maximum info, where and why you need to build this solution.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-24 09:16:48 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

Hallo again Mitya

Thank you again.

What I am trying to do, is simply what I have mentioned in the first post, to install a single camera on a building entrance and to share it amonge residents. If you wants to install a camera for every single user, then we will endup with 8 cameras on the same spot of the wall!!surprise which will be super ugly.

Also when connecting those multiple users to a single switch/router, we need to guarantee that every private network is isolated from other private networks, also every router may have a different subnet or similar subnets, and may conflict if they are connected on a single switch.

Also new IP cameras have cloud P2P remote access (For example), that every user is still going to have when using the camera.

So I am looking for a cheap and reliable solution to achieve this locally, and to also keep it available for remote internet access, without sharing the internet between users and preventing them from doing so.

I hope that this explains the situation more precisely.

Thanks again

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-24 09:25:58 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

Kals wrote

Hallo again Mitya

Thank you again.

What I am trying to do, is simply what I have mentioned in the first post, to install a single camera on a building entrance and to share it amonge residents. If you wants to install a camera for every single user, then we will endup with 8 cameras on the same spot of the wall!!surprise which will be super ugly.

Also when connecting those multiple users to a single switch/router, we need to guarantee that every private network is isolated from other private networks, also every router may have a different subnet or similar subnets, and may conflict if they are connected on a single switch.

Also new IP cameras have cloud P2P remote access (For example), that every user is still going to have when using the camera.

So I am looking for a cheap and reliable solution to achieve this locally, and to also keep it available for remote internet access, without sharing the internet between users and preventing them from doing so.

I hope that this explains the situation more precisely.

Thanks again

So, what is the model of the camera? Is it PTZ? What is the scenario, when 8 different clients will have the ability to configure camera? Just for using PTZ or what? If they need only check the video, then just provide RTSP link for them maybe? Otherwise one client will just break camera configuration for everyone...

Still, my topology above is the solution for you with every Miktorik router.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-24 09:43:18 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

No it is not a PTZ,

Providing an RTSP address can solve this partially.

Now comes the question: if the camera can see the internet thru all the routers in different flats, this means that user1 can access the camera thru the internet connection of user8, if P2P is used, iguess.

Is this true?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Sharing a common IP camera between different homes
2019-06-24 09:59:00 - last edited 2021-04-19 12:08:06

No, ip-camera will not see internet, if you don't use default route on camera's router/switch. If you use it, then it will go via this route. In reality, if you want to keep camera local, you will have routes only to clients' LANs.

If you use Andone's topology with several WAN-ports, then yes, camera will "see the internet" though all WANs, while anyway it will be connected only through one WAN.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1503

Replies: 10