Can I switch this strange MAC address?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-22 13:22:09
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20150714 Rel.61832(s)

This question also applies to the TL-SG3424P.

I have a strange piece of equipment here with an aberrant MAC address of 11:22:33:44:55:66. Yes, I know this this is not an EUI or IEEE compliant MAC address.

Right now I cannot get either the 3424P or 3216 to switch it, probably because the management firmware is unhappy with the MAC.

Is there anyway to set it up so that this MAC can be switched to at least one other port on the switch? Or do I have to throw in the towel and provision a dumb switch on the side just to get packets to go to this crazy thing from another device?

Thanks,

aa

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can I switch this strange MAC address?
2019-06-24 06:02:48

aa777888 wrote

This question also applies to the TL-SG3424P.

I have a strange piece of equipment here with an aberrant MAC address of 11:22:33:44:55:66. Yes, I know this this is not an EUI or IEEE compliant MAC address.

Right now I cannot get either the 3424P or 3216 to switch it, probably because the management firmware is unhappy with the MAC.

Is there anyway to set it up so that this MAC can be switched to at least one other port on the switch? Or do I have to throw in the towel and provision a dumb switch on the side just to get packets to go to this crazy thing from another device?

Thanks,

aa

Hi aa777888

The first bit of MAC address has the special meaning. 0 means it's unicast destination. 1 means multicast destination. Generally the devices should use 0 as first bit, because we cannot use the multicast address as source address. 

The first bit of 11:22:33:44:55:66 is 1, so it should not be the MAC address of the equipment. I think the switch also identify this so did not forward the data. Maybe you can try to set up the static MAC, check if can broke the rule.

Options
Re:Can I switch this strange MAC address?
2019-06-24 08:10:33

As I know, tp-link switches will show you error, if you try to use inappropriate MAC-address in almost all features. For Static MAC and IMPB you will 100% have the error. Just checked it. I think you can't do it with tp-link switch.

Options
Re:Re:Can I switch this strange MAC address?
2019-06-24 10:02:15

Thanks for the quick replies. I did try static, and of course the firmware says it is a bad MAC and won't accept it.

I think you are right, there is no way to do this on managed TP-Link hardware.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Can I switch this strange MAC address?
2019-06-26 07:32:55

Btw, I checked it with win10 and it doesn't allow you to configure such MAC-address manually for your NIC, so I think it's normal behaviour from tplink side.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1469

Replies: 4