Setting up VLAN on TL-SG105E to use Ethernet Panel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-05 16:49:05
Model: TL-SG105E  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 2018-11-30

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any insight. To start with I am trying to learn and build a network so I could make use of the ethernet panel in my place.

My ideal set up is modem>managed switch>router. What I want to do with the managed switch is to use VLAN so that I can use that switch to to wire my ethernet panel. Why I am going with a managed switch option is because I don't want my main router to live in the basement where the panel is...

If that makes sense, this is how I want to wire it

modem (actually a T3200M in bridge mode, I tried directly plugging in and it is a public IP)>Port 1 of managed switch

port 2 of managed switch>velop router

port 3 of managed switch>velop satellite

port 4-5 of managed switch>plug into ethernet panel

I am trying to setup a VLAN (lets call it VLAN ID 2) for port 1-2 (port 1 is tagged) and VLAN ID 3 for port 2-5 (all untagged, ethernet backhaul for velop+ other devices through ethernet) but it doesn't seem to work. I set PVID to 2 for ports 1+2. IGMP snooping is enabled.

when i log into my velop I can connect to my switch (as it should) but there is no connection.

I feel there is something I don't understand fully/grasp. Any help will be appreciated.

edit: TL-SG105E v4

Options
3 Reply
Re:Setting up VLAN on TL-SG105E to use Ethernet Panel
2019-08-06 08:13:23

Revival wrote

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any insight. To start with I am trying to learn and build a network so I could make use of the ethernet panel in my place.

My ideal set up is modem>managed switch>router. What I want to do with the managed switch is to use VLAN so that I can use that switch to to wire my ethernet panel. Why I am going with a managed switch option is because I don't want my main router to live in the basement where the panel is...

If that makes sense, this is how I want to wire it

modem (actually a T3200M in bridge mode, I tried directly plugging in and it is a public IP)>Port 1 of managed switch

port 2 of managed switch>velop router

port 3 of managed switch>velop satellite

port 4-5 of managed switch>plug into ethernet panel

I am trying to setup a VLAN (lets call it VLAN ID 2) for port 1-2 (port 1 is tagged) and VLAN ID 3 for port 2-5 (all untagged, ethernet backhaul for velop+ other devices through ethernet) but it doesn't seem to work. I set PVID to 2 for ports 1+2. IGMP snooping is enabled.

when i log into my velop I can connect to my switch (as it should) but there is no connection.

I feel there is something I don't understand fully/grasp. Any help will be appreciated.

edit: TL-SG105E v4

Hi Revival

Generally VLAN is used for isolate devices. If you don't need to isolate devices, you don't need to set up VLAN.

If you set Port1-2 of switch as tagged, you should make sure that your modem and router support VLAN tag as well. If they don't support VLAN tag, you should set up untagged.

Options
Re:Re:Setting up VLAN on TL-SG105E to use Ethernet Panel
2019-08-06 14:25:10

thanks your reply.

I am using VLAN because I am putting the switch before my router (modem>managed switch>router) so I can make use of my ethernet panel. the managed switch would have one port connected to router and all other port directly plugging into the panel. 

This is what I can find when I look into tagging for my specific router (linksys velop)

The velop system uses VLAN for IPv6 and the guest wireless. This needs to be taken into consideration when managed switches are on the network. 

All switch ports that connect to velop nodes need to be configured as trunk ports, untagged VLAN 1, tagged VLAN 3 and tagged VLAN 4.

Is there an alternate way I can setup my network without VLAN in your opinion?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Setting up VLAN on TL-SG105E to use Ethernet Panel
2019-08-07 03:50:22

Revival wrote

thanks your reply.

I am using VLAN because I am putting the switch before my router (modem>managed switch>router) so I can make use of my ethernet panel. the managed switch would have one port connected to router and all other port directly plugging into the panel. 

This is what I can find when I look into tagging for my specific router (linksys velop)

The velop system uses VLAN for IPv6 and the guest wireless. This needs to be taken into consideration when managed switches are on the network. 

All switch ports that connect to velop nodes need to be configured as trunk ports, untagged VLAN 1, tagged VLAN 3 and tagged VLAN 4.

Is there an alternate way I can setup my network without VLAN in your opinion?

In your topology, modem>managed switch>router, if your modem hasn't the router feature, all of your clients need to be connected to the LAN port of your router for accessing internet. So the switch just used to connect modem and router.

For the VLAN feature, I think we just need to consider that the data which switch received whether carry VLAN tag. 

Firstly, if the data from your ISP has VLAN tag, then the switch port that connected to the modem should belong to that VLAN. 

Secondly, if your router supports VLAN as well, then you need to set up the switch port connected to the router as tagged port and belong to the ISP VLAN. You also need to set up the VLAN on your WAN port of the router.

If your router doesn't supports VLAN, then you need to set up the switch port connected to the router as untagged port and belong to the ISP VLAN. And set up the PVID as ISP VLAN.

If the data from your ISP hasn't VLAN tag and you just have VLAN in your LAN of router, then you don't need to set up VLAN on switch. Because the LAN of the router is a network, the WAN of the router is another network, they don't need to share the VLAN. They communicate each other through Layer 3 and do not need to consider VLAN.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2676

Replies: 3

Related Articles