2.4 & 5GHz WiFi gear for very long range (and 5 MHz quarter rate)

2019-08-12 11:52:51 - last edited 2019-08-14 19:21:21

I'm wondering if anyone has had much experience with long range WiFi including any 5MHz channel WiFi gear, and can name any models or chipsets? I'm also favouring 5 GHz because of less interference. I'm looking at distance more than bandwidth, and around the 50 - 100+ km mark.

I know about some network devices like Ubiquiti airOS and TP-Link PharOS, and I have seen references to a few Atheros PCI devices capable of 5 MHz, but I'm also interested in USB devices well. I'm primarily working on Linux. I'm also looking for external antenna connectors, but not required. (I'm already looking at buying a pair of Ubiquiti Litebeam ACs.)

As a side note, with the RF inverse square law and halving bandwidth gives an extra 3dB, dropping from 20 MHz to 5 MHz effectively doubles the distance I can do, so every bit helps.

Another thing I have noticed is a lot of devices measure their output in dBm from the supplied antenna, so my AWUS036H really only puts out 24dBm, which makes me a little less enthusiastic about believing dBm values. reverse phone lookup

Options
3 Replies
Re:2.4 & 5GHz WiFi gear for very long range (and 5 MHz quarter rate)
2019-08-13 06:33:25

tp-link cpe610 is hardware the same as litebeam ac lr. I do not think the pair of it can hit 100km. I personally saw about 35-40km maximum with it in real life. I do not think you can make 100km distance with WiFi at all. 300Mhz systems are the solution for me, like motorola or so.

Options
2019-08-13 09:23:25 - last edited 2019-08-13 09:30:09

why does it concern you that output power is specified in dBm? this is a measure of power whereas dB is just a ratio

It is of course *possible* to operate a 5GHz link over 100Km with appropriate antennas (very directional dishes) and an appropriate link budget however WiFi is not the ideal layer 2 protocol to use, WiFi messaging includes an acknowledgement from the receiver to sender, if the sender does not receive this within a specified time it assumes it was not received and may drop the session or more typically resend the message which will drop your throughput through the floor assuming it even works at all. This is why you have to specify the hop distance when you set up a long range WiFi link because it opens the transmit-ack window time to allow for the distance. You will struggle to find any wifi device that works at the distance you cite as the hardware wont allow for such a long window time.

See the link here long range wifi you will notice that to achieve it modified (not commercial off the shelf) equipment is used. If you are up for that go for it, as I said earlier it is *possible*......

Options
2019-08-13 13:17:50 - last edited 2019-08-13 14:23:10

tymal77 wrote

I'm looking at distance more than bandwidth, and around the 50 - 100+ km mark.

AirFiber5 supports 100km+ (depending on regulatory region).

As for devices capable of operating with 5 MHz channel width I can't tell which other devices except Pharos and AirOS devices support it. Pharos allows 5 MHz in latest firmware version; it didn't so - despite the specs - in older FW, at least not in the EU version (I reported this as a bug).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options