Planning an 5GHz Infrstraucture

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-15 06:41:08
Region : Germany

Model : TL-WA7510N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : actual

ISP : Self, doesn't matter

Hello,

i would like to have WLAN on a little larger Area.

Idea is:

Coupling a WA7510n to a central Switch. Configuring this as an AP Bridge for 4 other AP-Bridges.
Taking 4 other WA7510n, configured as AP Bridges, too, all with connection to the central one.
Placing them in distance to the central AP.
Connecting each direct (over PoE-Injektor), without switch) to a 2,4GHz WA5210 as 2,4GHz AP.
I tested this for One AP-Bridge. Works like a charm.
The advantage (which is to proof) is, there is a 5GHz Infrastructure which is not interfereing with the normal WLAN on 2,4GHz.
No loss of bandwith like this would happen with a repeater infrastructure.

my question:
If there is a AP Bridge-Connection established, the SSID not broadcasted, the AP Isolation activated, the MAC Filter activated how secure is this connection?
Since there is only WEP (which is insecure anyhow) offered, which is not supprted bei 802.11n anyway....there is no encryption.

How to secure this connection?

thanks for Your answers in advance,
Leo
Options
6 Reply
Re:Planning an 5GHz Infrstraucture
2013-01-15 14:45:27
WA5210G only offers WEP when set as bridge. it is a 11G product. WA7510N offers WEP and WPA when set as bridge.
I think it will be very secured when the wireless security like WPA or WEP is set up. When SSID not broadcasted, the AP Isolation activated, the MAC Filter activated, will the bridge be established successfully?
Options
2013-01-16 15:33:26
Hye joyce,

Yep, the bridge is established successfully with "No SSID broadcast, MAC-Filter On and SP isolated".

But: If you activate the option "AP with bridge", there is only WEP in the menues.... no WPA....
If You activate the radio button for WEP ther is a message shown, that this would not be recommended, since WEp is in the 802.11n standard not supported.

I tried to attach the Lab-PDF i created, but the limit for the allowed filesize is ridiculous low.

I will contact the support...

Leo
Options
2013-01-16 21:52:10
Leo, as I know, when TL-WA7510N works in bridge with AP mode, it only supports WEP as security type indeed.
The message you mentioned may mislead you but it comes up in their other 11n devices, for example, my TL-WR1043ND. If you don't care, then let it go.
Options
2013-01-16 22:20:45
Hey Mavis,

Thanks for your reply...

Since WEP is crackable within really, really short time, the problem remains, that you should use this wireless bridges wich are affordable and simple only in an public environment...
Could be i am paranoid, but ... you never know when THEY are out for YOU.... *grin*

Leo
Options
2013-01-17 11:25:53
Hey Leo, your two TL-WA7510N can be configured in this way. If it is proper for you, you can use WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
One TL-WA7510N works in access point mode. Another TL-WA7510G works in client mode to connect the first one wirelessly.
BUT there is a problem, in client mode, only one cable can be plugged in, no wifi signal broadcasting. You may need to add a switch or access point in your network. Just consider it...
Options
2013-01-18 00:24:29
Hello Ada,

tried this...(AP to Client) with no really success. There has been problems with reconnections, problems with dhcp-broadcast-forwarding etc.
BUT: This results are not reliable, because one piece of my test-equipment seems to have unpredictable behaviour and has sometimes been the problem...(talking about the Notebook i use on one side of the connction)

In my first plans i thought it this way, and wanted to try an "cross-connect"-cable instead of a switch between the 5GHz Client and the 2,4GHz AP. Haven't tried this, because i used a switch to eleminate this as a possible problem.
Surprisingly in the successful test i used a standard patch cable.

I think tomorrow or latest on Monday the additional 7510ns will arrive, will have then another test and try the AP-Client solution again.

Leo
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 866

Replies: 6