EAP245 V3 slow speeds after running for few hours

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP245 V3 slow speeds after running for few hours

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
52 Reply
Re:EAP245 V3 slow speeds after running for few hours
2020-04-30 23:57:49

@R1D2 

I did a survey 10 ft from the AP mounted on the side exterior wall. This AP is the worst among all. SNR to other AP's is 36 but you can see my speed and latency here. I have 1Gb up and down from ISP

Options
2020-05-01 00:49:28

nbali wrote

I was under the impression if the neighbour wifi's are sharing the same channels (fully overlapping) they take take turns and behave better VS if they are half overlapping they are fighting for their turn. But maybe I am wrong in this theory.

It's the other way around. If WiFi cells are overlapping only partially at the edges, interferences due to collisions will decrease while AirTime increases for all.

The biggest problem is that people most often increase Tx power to the maximum value since they think this will »increase coverage«. It pretty much increases interferences in crowded areas.

Same as if your neighbor would play music on a sound system made for a concert hall in his living room and give you all 10 milliseconds an opportunity to play your music in between. Result would be a big mess.

The SNR hasnt changed after the reboot, why the speeds?

You mean throughput? Speed is always the same for all EM waves. Throughput does not depend on SNR, it depends on AirTime. SNR gives you an indication of the APs around which cause interfernces when they transmit data. If an AP is idle, the SNR doesn't change, but more AirTime is available for other nearby APs.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-05-01 01:03:07

@nbali, the problem with web-based »speed« tests is that you measure several things at once, wireless throughput (or more precisely: goodput), router's throughput, peering throughput, web server's throughput etc. Either run several tests with different machines over a longer time period and take the average values or measure real WiFi goodput using your own test server using specialized tools such as iperf.

When I'm doing such web-based tests with Ookla, dslreports or other test sites, I get BIG differences from one minute to the other (Ookla being the worsest). Those tests are not very reliable IMO. If I perform pure tests of the WiFi goodput using iperf, I get much more stable numbers and a clear indication of nearby APs acquiring AirTime according to their traffic.

If goodput on download is as low as 48 Mbps (and why is goodput on upload then 270 Mbps?), you can try to set 40 MHz channel width. Changes are that you can achieve a better throughput using this setting.

Options
2020-05-01 22:39:11

@R1D2 First of all thank you for your help in troubleshooting this with me. I understand throughput/bandwidth depends upon the available airtime at any given point in time. It is possible my neighbours watching 4k netflix and airtime is scarce at that particular time. However the issue continues to persist until the next day or until I reboot the AP.

Upon reboot, I can quickly see a jump from 150mbps to 500Mbps. Rebooting have always seem to fix the throughput under same airtime and channel congestion. 

I would understand if throughput goes bad at certain times and then recovers at other time. The AP doesnt seem to recover itself from prior congestion conditions.  

This morning I placed a wifi booster AP provided by my ISP in the same location where my troublesome Tplink EAP245 is located. I turned off the radio for EAP so my booster is broadcasting and using the same channel as my EAP.  It's been 8 hours and I am getting consistent speeds of around 350-400Mbps through this booster. Survey reveals same SSID's as before and same SNR. I dont know how to measure available airtime. 

I already replaced the EAP with another EAP245 to rule out a faulty unit. This didnt change anything. The other two access points (Basement and Mail Floor) are behaving ok for now. Just the one on second level acting up with high latency and low throughput. I will continue to monitor the ISP booster and maybe just use that for that floor if it works better.

Options
2020-05-01 23:14:48 - last edited 2020-05-01 23:15:43

@nbali, you're welcome anytime. That's really mysterious, but if the booster gives better results, I would also keep the booster on the second level, albeit it would be interesting to find out what causes this malfunction of an EAP245.

Options
2020-07-07 14:45:23

I am experiencing the exact same issue with my 2 EAP245 V3 units. They work ok for a few hours, sometimes a full day, but then start slowing down and dropping packets. A reboot fixes it. I've been troubleshooting for weeks and I've replaced almost every device on the network to try to isolate it. I've also tried toggling on/off every feature that I could find within the TPlink controller (then rebooting) and the problem always comes back after a while. It happens at all times of day and night (eventually). My LAN interfaces don't show any dropped packets and I've tested the cabling using cable testers and IPerf. I've tested the power in the building and it's all wired correctly and conditionned. I've tried 2 different POE switches, as well as the POE injectors that came with the EAP245 units.

I'm at a complete loss. The only thing I haven't tried is running the Omada Controller on a different device, could that make a difference? Right now it runs within a Windows 10 installation on a PC that is on the LAN (wired). @nbali are you running the controller within Windows or within a container?

Options
2020-07-07 14:55:27

@sgnb I am running it on a Windows desktop on a 1gig Lan. I don't think it's the controller. To the date I have same issue, I gave up troubleshooting and just accepted to leave it as it is.  I have a single eap225 v3 in the mix which doesn't have this issue. So definitely it's a hardware or firmware issue with 245

Options
2020-07-07 19:00:57

SAME EXACT ISSUE with my EAP245v3....

But much worse, see under 60mbps on 5GHz and tons of packet loss, reboot always fixes it when this happens. Don't have this issue with my EAP225v3

My area there are NO 5GHz networks except for mine..  So its not a channel/congestion issue. Only 1 other 5GHz network in range of this one and thats my other EAP. 

Options
2020-07-07 19:11:39 - last edited 2020-07-07 19:11:53

Yep I'm getting incredibly frustrated with this. If I do a continuous ping to the EAP245 from a device on the LAN then there is 0% packet loss. If I do a continuous ping to the EAP245 from a wireless client then packet loss starts out at 0% (and it can stay at 0% for hours) but progressively gets worse and worse and gets to 80%-90%

@HPad are you running Omada Controller? on a windows PC or in a container?

Options
2020-07-07 19:33:04

@sgnb I have several EAP245v3 and had the same problem, it turned out that I had turned on Airtime Fairness, when I disabled this on both bands I have never had problems again.

Options
Related Articles