Omada Software Controller 4.1.5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada Software Controller 4.1.5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
41 Reply
Re:Omada Software Controller 4.1.5?
2020-07-14 14:48:27 - last edited 2020-07-14 14:51:08

JR5 wrote

How do I revert the Firmware to its Factory Settings to "version 3.2.12 with firmware 1.2.3 Build 20200430 Rel.52621"? Please HELP

Download firmware v1.2.3 from a TP-Link site near you.

Go to Settings, select Maintenance, upload the firmware file and click on Upgrade. When done, restore your backup.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-07-14 15:48:39

My upgrade from 1.2.3 to 1.7 went pretty poorly.  Maybe I misunderstood the migration, but I backed up 1.2.3, upgraded to 1.7, and then tried to restore from the 1.2.3 backup and non of my settings for SSIDs, 802.11k/r, etc transfered over and it said that my devices were being managed by someone else and they required a login/password to adopt, which I couldn't figure out. I had to factory reset my access points and reset up my SSID and all my settings.  Luckily this is just my house, so I only have two access points, but I hope others have better luck.

Options
2020-07-16 07:28:17

Hi @sadpanda 

Sorry for any inconvenience caused. May I know why you need to change EAP out of mixed mode?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-07-16 07:46:21

@mackworth 

mackworth wrote

it said that my devices were being managed by someone else and they required a login/password to adopt, which I couldn't figure out. I had to factory reset my access points and reset up my SSID and all my settings.  Luckily this is just my house, so I only have two access points, but I hope others have better luck.

Hi,

It seems that your EAP devices are still managed by the previous Controller. Did you upgrade the Software Controller on a different computer?

When we select Upgrade Across Devices, after restoring the backup file to the new controller, we need to go back to the Controller 3.2.x, enter the IP address or URL of the new controller into the Controller URL/IP input field, telling the EAPs where the new Controller is located. Then click Migrate Devices to migrate the devices to the new controller.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/omada-sdn/controller-upgrade/#content-5_1_2

Hope that helps.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-07-16 07:49:20

@MiloWiles 

Hi, 

MiloWiles wrote

I'm awaiting the 4.1.5 Linux controller too (although it's running on my QNAP NAS rather than a Pi).

Please follow the link below to get the Linux Controller 4.1.5. (Scroll down and it's right after the Windows version.)

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap225/#Controller_Software

Options
2020-07-16 08:27:44 - last edited 2020-07-16 08:32:23

@sadpanda, you can indeed change EAPs out of mixed mode, but you now have much finer control of the supported 802.11 rates.

For example, those settings take out the 2.4 GHz radio from 802.11b mode:

I suggest to wait for the Omada SDN Controller User's Guide which should describe the ramifications when changing those parameters.

Options
2020-07-16 12:51:36

@R1D2 

Thanks for the heads up. However, the naming is wrong or at least less then intuitive.

Omada 3.2.10 and every router I've seen refers to 802.11 radio setting as MODE, as it should be;  802.11 is a protocol specifying frequency, bandwidth and modulation.  Each mode has a theoretical maximum throughput, there is no minimum.

"Rate Control" is used in 802.11 documentation to describe individual signal quality controls between host and client.... In addition, 'rate control' just sounds like throttling/QOS, especially when MODE has been the standard since forever.  The expanded controls are nice and I understand the convenience of brining all of this under one menu but a better name might be helpful. 

tl;dr   Did I read the manual?  No.  Should I have to for something as basic as this?  I don't think so.

It looks like the 225v3 firmware is live now so I may give it another go

Options
2020-07-16 13:31:34

@Fae I have a oc200 that I updated. I followed these instructions here https://www.tp-link.com/us/omada-sdn/controller-upgrade/#content-5_2_1.

I clicked upgrade, it prompted me to backup the settings, and it saved the backup file to my computer.  When it rebooted, the controller had me go through a setup flow as if it I were setting up a new controller, which I did.  I tried to use the backup file, but it didn't seem to actually import anything and my devices were showing as owned by another controller.  I then reset them both, and tried importing the backup again to see if the devices would get picked up then, but it actually put them back into the "owned by another controller" state and I had to reset them again.  Then I just set up everything as new.

Options
2020-07-16 13:39:56

Hi Tplink

im now using the lates version of Omada oc200 4.1.5 and my Eap225 outdoor o version 1.20.0

1. Bug in Captive Portal
      - uploading blank .png file  for hiding the logo is not working it gives Black Square
      - setting it to transparent background for button is useless after applying it goes back to original background
      - why not returning the old version capive portal for PC and Mobile screen, right now it stretches my Mobile Portal design once log in to PC ..... bad update / bug?
      - sms authentication ???
2. Mail Server not working
3. adding Cloud User needs to verify through email BUT how to verify if the Mail Server is not working properly.
4. Hope to have fast answer or Fast update for this as we cannot Downgrade the version no more...

WISP
DICT

Options
2020-07-16 13:41:49 - last edited 2020-07-16 14:34:38

sadpanda wrote

Omada 3.2.10 and every router I've seen refers to 802.11 radio setting as MODE, as it should be;  802.11 is a protocol specifying frequency, bandwidth and modulation.

IEEE 802.11 itself is neither a mode nor a protocol; it's a standard.

What makes up the protocol to be used is the actual implementation of this standard on a physical device.

The setting which defines the protocol a device uses determines the mode the device's radio is running in, so mode is indeed the correct label for this particular setting.

"Rate Control" is used in 802.11 documentation to describe individual signal quality controls between host and client....

The WiFi rates defined in the 802.11 standard are the rates the protocol offers to clients. AP and client then negotiate a rate which fits best in a given situation. You can find all possible WiFi rates, which depend on many parameters, environmental influences and capabilities of the devices here: http://mcsindex.com/

If you cannot just select the mode, but have fine control over the rates, the term »Rate Control« is indeed the correct label for those settings, since you can select the minimum rate independend of the actual mode, but affecting the possible modes according to the boundaries defined in the standard.

In addition, 'rate control' just sounds like throttling/QOS, especially when MODE has been the standard since forever.

It is kind of throtteling/limiting: it sets the minimum rate accepted by the AP, thus limiting the lower boudary.

Rates are not exclusively used by QoS settings. For example, take this sentence: »The rate of complaints from users about the SDN Controller has increased since the software was released.«. That's a rate, too, and it has nothing to do with QoS. :-)

tl;dr   Did I read the manual?  No.  Should I have to for something as basic as this?  I don't think so.

1) Manual: not your fault, there is none (yet). But I'm sure it will be published soon.

2) Should you read it? Yes, IMO one should always RTFM, especially because Rate Control is a feature for power users, not »something basic«. You can easily mess up your WLAN with wrong Rate Control settings.

But because of 1) you still have the bonus to ask w/o RTFM at this time. :-D

Options