WPA Authentication times out/failed every now and then but after some time succesfull

WPA Authentication times out/failed every now and then but after some time succesfull

57 Reply
Re:WPA Authentication times out/failed every now and then but after some time succesfull
2021-12-08 14:53:26

I was able to find the device that was the main problem.  A Kindle hadn't been updated and was trying numerous times.  A previous comments that "this is kinda like an internal DDOS" makes sense me -- I think this Kindle was causing more problems than just its own failed logins.

So my network is down from hundreds of failed attempts a handful in the last 24 hours.  Much better.

I did change DTIM from 1->3 (as someone suggested).  Not sure if this did anything, but I'm leaving it too unless someone tells me "1" is definitely better.

Options
Re:WPA Authentication times out/failed every now and then but after some time succesfull
2022-03-11 14:25:23
Still getting this issue having edited the beacon interval and reset site config and reset access points. Asking TP link for assitance, but we'll see how that goes. Theres quite a few threads regarding this issue and im suprised its still a thing. I was thinknig it was mainly due to slow devices as most of the issues plague my rasberry PIs, but one or two errors come from my windows surface and that is not sluggish at all! Omada 4.4.5 on docker, 2x EAP3225 v3 fw5.05, 1 eap outdoor, 1 x EAP110
Options
2022-03-24 21:47:52

I've been having similar issues.  My LG washer & dryer, as well as a newer Amazon Kindle Fire tablet have auth errors.  For the Kindle Fire, I can turn off & on wifi & recover.

LG apparently have a bug where if it ever fails, they quit trying.  Then you have to go through the setup process for them again. ><

WiFi used to just work.  Then I went and updated firmware.  I don't even remember what version I was running on EAP225 when it was working.  Getting ready to deploy OC200, router, smart switches & setup VLANs and updated to latest, but still have issues.

I may resort to putting another brand of AP in the garage for the washer & dryer just to work around this.  Which is a shame, as I have good coverage there (less than 5m away from an EAP225).

Options
2022-03-25 12:35:16

@jedigrover Had the same kind of issue with my LG Oven and a few other IoT devices (wall switches, wall outlet, etc...). Sometimes these devices aren't very happy when they are connecting to an SSID that combines both 2.4 and 5ghz bands.

What I've done, is basically create a separated SSID that only uses the 2.4 bands and put all my IoT on it. Since then, I didn't have any more issues. Plus, you can isolate these devices from your other devices by enabling the Guest Network option. I always tend to do that because these IoT devices aren't always up to date and often use weak passwords underneath that you don't even know exist, but they are still there and are a vector of attack if any providers of these devices got breached. Enabling the guest network option, isolate each devices from your main network and also isolated them from each other. That way, you reduce considerably the risk of someone getting into your network through these devices.

Hope this helps :) 

Options
2022-03-25 15:28:07

Unfortunately, that was the first thing I tried.  I noted that the problems started after I changed the wifi config from WPA2-Auto (TKIP or AES) to just WPA2-AES (since TKIP is not so secure).  I forgot that I had updated the firmware on the APs about the same time.  Before that, things had been stable with the LG's for a couple of months, though they were very fussy to get online in the first place.  So I created a 2.4GHz only IOT SSID and set it back to WPA2-auto.  It worked for about a week, and then the LG's fell off again.  I've had LG out under warranty service and they have lots of customers with these issues.  There are definitely bugs with the LG wifi module & firmware, but something in an update of the EAPs seemed to exacerbate the issue.  It seems like the LG's might be kind of slow on the authentication and the EAPs time them out so fast that they miss.  Then the LG decides it can't connect and stops even trying.  It's very frustrating.

Options
2022-03-25 17:14:49

@jedigrover Might be something with the wireless controllers they are using... I know on my end, I had these kinds of issues when I was using 2 EAP245HDv3. I upgraded my 2 AP to EAP620HD a few months ago and didn't have a single issue since. Note that I didn't upgrade because of this particular issue, I just upgraded because I was getting more and more WIFI6 compatible devices in the house, so why not. Also a matter of being future-proof for a few years. But anyway...

You might want to see a few pages back in this thread, I posted a few months ago a few configuration changes that was helping a lot in my case to alleviate this issue.

Options
2022-09-10 15:05:02

Try disabling the GIK rekeying,   i've started to see some devices with similar problem after I've enabled this setting.  

Options
2022-09-19 19:44:45

I have the same issue. Latest firmware and OC on EAP245 V3. Trying to reset, reboot and stuff like that. DTIM 3 didn't helped. Nothing helped. In office I have 2 AP's and 40-50 clients. Signal strenght is strong and stable. All my log with "WPA Authentication times out/failed" on random devices - Apple, Xiaomi, Samsung... Any solution? 

Options
2022-11-19 10:18:41 - last edited 2022-11-19 10:19:23

I have similar issues. Have just installed a couple of EAP615 wall plates and a OC200. Figured this would be an upgrade from my Orbi - not yet. What is dropping out? Google Home Max (this is annoying when listening to music), Google Home/Nest Mini's. TP-link Kasa HS100 power points, TP-link LB130 & KL130B light bulbs, Harmony Hub all on an exclusive 2.4Ghz network. You know what fails the most.... the TP-link bulbs and power points - a lot with a signal strength of 100% (~30dBm)!!

Options
2022-12-04 03:55:58

LucianoR wrote

I'm facing similar issues with my two EAP 225. I've fast roaming and band steering turned on.

One of the things I find interesting is that they show you these errors in a summary in the home page, but there is no drill down: I want to learn when this happened, on which device, connecting to which AP, etc... but can't.. I've enabled additional alerts at the log section, to see if that helps a bit.

@LucianoR Hi, press "Logs" then filter on events, and you can see the devices that are having the problem 

Options