Which product is right for hotel ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Which product is right for hotel ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
119 Reply
Re:Which product is right for hotel ?
2020-10-29 16:00:21

@R1D2,

Note that grounding is through the metal jacket of the plug, not necessarily a separate ground wire

I believe you were referring to this type of connectors right ?

Is it finally safe to say, that we could use F/UTP CAT 6 with this shielded connector (picture above) and use patch panel with grounding ?  (both ends)
If we have Patch Panel grounded, do we still need Switches to be grounded ? 

Options
2020-10-29 17:06:48 - last edited 2020-10-29 17:32:53

Boriy wrote
1. I believe you were referring to this type of connectors right ?

2. Is it finally safe to say, that we could use F/UTP CAT 6 with this shielded connector (picture above) and use patch panel with grounding ?  (both ends)

3. If we have Patch Panel grounded, do we still need Switches to be grounded ? 

1. Yes,

2. yes,

3. all systems in a rack should be grounded, switches, routers, servers.

For most systems you can use the Protecting Earth (PE) wire in the AC outlet/power cable:

For my switches, routers, servers and patch panels I prefer a grounding bar which every rack system provides:

This way I can use AWG 9 grounding cable which even helps to mitigate against electrostatic discharge (ESD) in case of lightning storms.

All outdoor APs have additional protection, but since they are connected to switches they require the very same ground level (earthed equipotential zone) for their protective components to work.

This is how equipotential bonding of switches, patch panels etc. looks like:

Grounding bar in rack:

Protective Earth bar for the machine room with main PE cables:

If you ever had a massive ESD caused by a lightning stroke in your machine room (in my case through phone lines conneted to a modem connected to a 20K $ server 30 years ago) killing the CPU board, you know why I'm grounding all systems in my network.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-10-29 17:39:49 - last edited 2020-10-29 17:41:15

Please, consider at least ISO/IEC Cat.6A components for up to 10GbE (100 meter) in the future

Options
2020-10-29 17:53:18

@mobb, I told him 10 times so far, but he is addicted to CAT.6 for whatever reason. laugh

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-10-31 16:24:34

@R1D2 

The reason, why we don't use it simple:

We don't have it here O_O

I called almost 10 companies that supply Internet Cables, most of them have Cat 5E, some have Cat 6, only 2 have Cat 6 F/UTP.

Please remember, we don't have Amazon or any other big online retail store, Ali Express usually takes 2-3 month to deliver + taxes (not all companies willing to deliver here).

In other words, if we had everything available we would just use them, but we have very limited supply here, thus hard to find something specific, if this not used in mainly.

P.S this is our normal socket, that we use everywhere, unlike in USA it does not have grounding.

Options
2020-10-31 21:57:25 - last edited 2020-10-31 21:58:27

@Boriy 

@nek

By the way, what type of cable did you use in your hotel ? You said it was Cat 6 wonder it was UTP/STP or FTP ?

Cat 6  U/UTP,  gigabit switches with auto negotiation i get 1000 from core switch to floor switches 

Options
2020-12-21 10:31:20

Hey guys,

It's been a long time and not sure, if this discussion is still going on or not, but I thought I just keep some updates here:

There are some changes in our topology and plans:

Our hotel has 6 floors and switches will be installed in 2 locations, on 2nd and 5th floor.

The 2nd floor location will cover 1,2,3 floors and the 5th floor will cover 4,5,6 floors. By cover I mean, cables will be distributed from those floors. 

Instead of 1 AP wall in each room, we decided to install 4-5 AP in our corridors, each covering 3-4 rooms.
In that case, we'll run 2 cables in each room. First goes to VoIP Phone and 2nd goes to Smart TV.

We're gonna use F/UTP Cat 6 cables everywhere indoors, still, each cable length will be less than 55meters (180 feet). 

Options
2020-12-21 11:14:53 - last edited 2020-12-21 11:18:42

So your rooms voip phone and smart tv will be connected to switch and your wifi coverage from corridors APs this should come way cheaper i believe.

Is it better to have 1 switch for 3 floors instead i.e a switch for each floor? What about cable lengths...

Options
2020-12-21 12:14:39

@Nek 

That's right, after some calculation we decided it would be better if each wired device goes directly to Switch.

In that case, we'll have some benefits, including:

Each device will have its own wire connection to switch, if our wall HD fails, that room would lose its VoIP Phone connection, and Smart TV would lose its internet connection and also guests inside the room, might have trouble with Wi-FI, since they need to connect to AP, that's in a different room.

Using 5 AP in the corridors, instead of 15 in each room, might provide us with less interference from other AP.
It's just we still don't know how Wall AP will handle Wi-Fi and PoE to VoIP and Ethernet to Smart TV, so dedicated Ethernet cable to each device might be easier to manage.

That would be great to have a Switch on each floor, but unfortunately, we don't have enough space on each floor for switches, so we need to combine them.
 I talked to electrician, he's fine with that. He said, that would be not hard work to do and he can organize everything. 

Options
2020-12-21 13:45:13 - last edited 2020-12-21 13:53:31

@Boriy  let us know how it goes your electrician is confident and knows thats good, you know how everything goes in the establishment, once you open you could be maintaining and updating on your own.

Credits to all for teaching us here, to @mobb but especially to  @R1D2 lots of learning by a tech genius! 

Options
Related Articles