Which product is right for hotel ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Which product is right for hotel ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
119 Reply
Re:Which product is right for hotel ?
2020-08-17 10:35:07 - last edited 2020-08-17 10:43:02

Boriy wrote

In that case, we can use Cat 5E or Cat 6. Since Cat 5E can transfer data 1gb/s within 100meters, and cheaper compare to Cat 6, we might consider this. Cat 6 has more frequency, but I believe it does not matter, since we only have 100mb/s now and maybe 1gb/s in future (speed from ISP to hotel)

In our country we have so-called installation cables (using solid wire pairs) and patch cables (using stranded wire pairs). Usually installation cables gets pressed into a wall outlet with a pressure tool while for patch cables a RJ45 connector needs to be crimped on them using a crimp tool. There are RJ45 plugs on which an installation cable can be pressed, too, but they are so big that they don't fit into a flush-mounted wall socket, not to speak of a EAP235-Wall.

Personally, I would use CAT.5e shielded ToughCable Pro from UBNT to wire EAP235-Wall. This cable is a mix of installation and patch cable in so far that it has solid wires, an additional ground wire, PiMF shielding and small-sized RJ45 plugs in a shielded metal case.

Albeit it's an outdoor cable (UV-resistant etc.), using it even indoors has the advantages that 1) you can crimp small RJ45 plugs (TC-CON) on it fitting into a wall socket for EAP-Walls and 2) loss of PoE energy is greatly reduced compared to stranded wires used in patch cables. However, this is no cheap cable, it has its price and you need to crimp plugs on it for yourself.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-08-17 12:41:55 - last edited 2020-08-17 19:47:46

Yes, if cable is passing thru some rugged environments and is open air within building or even outside the building (in that case, POE passing surge suppressors needed at least on the switch side and grounded), then sure STP ( Shielded twisted pair cable) can be be used, but for all within the building, 99.99% of the installtions here in North AMerica (where code is stringent and is enforced), regular but plenum rated CAT5e or CAT6 is used. Ubiquity tough cable is very expensive, but there are other cables that will be lower cost STP and we use such cables for outdoors APs or wireless bridges. You will need to pick up cable that meets the needs and ensuring your customer will pay for it..

I am not though sure if using a GPON delivered Internet service (that is generally meant for a single family or a small business) wil be good for a full hotel where people will be always streaming lots of video, unless you are getting 100Mbos GPON to each suite from ISP, I dont have good experience of sharing such shared services among more than 15 or so users. Especially if the hotel is going to be 4 star rated, you need to deliver very good Internet experience.

Options
2020-08-20 03:07:56 - last edited 2020-08-20 03:52:02

R1D2 you are a source of wisdom!

Options
2020-08-20 12:08:02

Hi Nek, my pleasure if you like the posts.

Options
2020-08-21 07:42:44

@dpsguard 

We might use GPON until we have Fiber optic here. Not yet confirmed. Since it's in the mountains and more than 100km away from Downtown, we have to take any options, that we have. Sure, we'll use Fiber if possible, we don't have much Fiber in our city (mostly GPON), so any internet type on Internet would be good here. 

Options
2020-08-21 07:43:35

@R1D2 

Thank you so much sir,

You've done an awesome job. 

Options
2020-08-21 13:13:54

@Boriy 

In that case, you may want to put  much lower speed caps on per device (like 10Mbps) until you get the dedicated business grade service. Dedicated service as you can imagine has no oversubscriptions and fiber essentially goes directly to the core of the ISP network. The GPON, DSL, Cable modems etc, they go thru some intermediate equipment that can have for example up to 512 connections that are all then serviced thru a 1Gig uplink or fractionalt 10Gig uplink depending upon what areas / country we are talking about. So these services are highly oversubscribed and that is why ISP will not commit to and will state up to.

Good luck and speed caps / rate imits are available under Standlone as well as controller based wireless solutions from Tp-link.

Options
2020-08-21 18:50:21 - last edited 2020-08-21 18:57:38

@Boriy 

I am a hotelier in Greece, my knowledge is very limited in the field but i just wanted to share my experience and what we did maybe it comes to some help for you and for the community without wanting to confuse. We just finished the building renovatation and the hotel has a total of 25 rooms, in each room are 2 RJ45 sockets (1 working desk and 1 Smart TV), cable cat6 throughout the building i didnt think of going for something less than CAT6. 

• 20 ports needed for each floor (10 rooms x 2 ports per room total 20 ports)  plus 1 port needed for the uplink, after some research and looking for a managed switch i decided to install tplink gigabite managed switch TL-SG1024DE 24 port. Looking in the switch interface the uplink is gigabite and it sends 100mbps to each room socket. The TV speed is approx 40mbps looking in my TV menu, the system is working ok with no issues.
  • For the WIFI i have installed 2 EAP225 on each floor - cealing corridors, the eaps get power from poe gigabite switch TL-SG1008P and i have 1 of these switches on each floor. 
  • ISP connection was 50 mbps and i upgraded to 100mbps i am fine for now no complaints, the router has gigabite ports and is the isp's and i am keeping since i have no issues and they can access for support by phone,  however i have deactivated its wifi to keep it light (if this helps), the router is on the ground floor and i have 1 x SG1024DE to send to floors and the reception-office.
  • For the WIFI I have omada controller OC200 and created hotel hotspot with voucher code and it works great, seperate for 2.4 and 5

My experience is great!  5 months now with tplink hardware and i totally agree with the idea to have your smart tv's connected by cable and not wifi and I am a believer of a simple and managable working system.

Options
2020-08-22 08:09:29

@Nek 

Hi there,

Thank you so much for sharing. 

From what I've read, I see it's 2 floor hotel and each floor has a Switch with PoE, that sends power to AP.

Are you able to get good reliable connction in last rooms ? (the one, that's far from AP)
Do you think it's good idea to put all switches in one place and lay the cables from one place, instead of separete them in each floor. We're thinking about 1 room that has all switches and router and controllers and from this room all cables will connect to AP. This should make troubleshooting more easier for IT department ? Is that true ? 

Options
2020-08-22 09:13:22 - last edited 2020-08-22 09:42:15

Boriy wrote

We're thinking about 1 room [...]. This should make troubleshooting more easier for IT department ? Is that true ?

That's wrong unless you have pretty weird guys in the IT department.

With Omada SDN solution you control and manage every device through the cloud once the cabling is in place.

No need to be present at the hotel. Even the IT team must not reside at the same location.

Options