Outdoor Nest Cams Keep Disconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-23 23:51:41
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have two 245 APs. Two outdoor Nest Cams, one at back door and one above garage.  Also a nest hello.

Since upgrading to latest controller software and APs firmware, seems they've been disconnecting like crazy.  I tried to raise and lower the RSSI threshold with no luck.  Currently trying -80, in the past was around -70.  Using 5ghz.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Outdoor Nest Cams Keep Disconnecting
2020-09-24 15:25:36

Hi @Prodeje79,

I have two EAP225V3's (I know you said you have the 245's), and OC-200, and several Nest Cams -- indoor and out.  I have been using this setup before and after the SDN rollout.

My Nest cams work great with the TP-Link AP's and have been rock solid.  Where your's working better prior to the SDN update?  Or is this a new install?  I assume you have the EAP245V3?

Which Nest cams do you have?  Regular or IQ?  About how old?

I have found that my Nest Doorbell has terrible 5.8GHz reception -- despite being only ~15 feet or so from the AP.  It works so much better on 2.4GHz.  My 2020 purchased Nest IQ cams work really well on 5.8GHz in contrast.

Some general tips:

1) Disable band steering -- use separate SSID's for 2.4 & 5.8

2) Disable airtime fairness

3) Disable MESH if you have no wirelessly connect EAP's

4) Use separate channels for each radio for each EAP.  20MHz on 2.4 (e.g. 1,6, 11 if possible, if these are crowded, I've found using 3 & 9 also works well) and 80MHz on 5.8 (36 & 149).

5) Try to use WPA2/3 if possible -- Do not enable extra GTK key recycling

6) Disable RSSI threshold, be sure WMM is enabled

7) Enable Fast Roaming -- assuming you are going to leave your OC-200 or Omada/SDN server running

8) Ensure your AP Radio transmit powers aren't set too high.  Use "Custom" and try levels between ~16 and 20 dBm

If you're outdoor units still aren't reliably connecting to 5.8GHz, you may have to move them to 2.4GHz instead.  OR deploy one or more EAP225-Outdoor units.

I find that the 5.8GHz signal does not penetrate the exterior of my home very well and I just have vinly siding.  2.4 is better -- and works great with my doorbell,  But for mobile coverage in the back yard, I really like my 225-Outdoor.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-09-24 18:16:38

@JSchnee21 

Thank you! I will give this a shot.

I had done some of these but not all. I had data thruput issues with nest when on 2.4, does that sound legit?

Options
2020-09-24 19:28:53

Hi @Prodeje79,

Technically, the 2.4GHz network should have more than enough bandwidth.  I've had my doorbell cam on 2.4GHz now for several months at the highest video rate with no issues. 

The IQ cams do push about twice as much data on their highest setting than the doorbell.

My doorbell uploaded ~100 GB over the course of 21 days.versus ~200 GB for each of my IQ cams.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-23 13:44:43

Hi everyone,

I am struggling with Nest Cameras and Nest bell due to low WiFi coverage too. Essentially the moment WiFi signal goes out of the house, devices are  getting -70 / -80db. Needless to say Nest performance is not great with that.

My idea is to use EAP 225 to boost the signal. I see different answers around EAP 225 ability to do that.

So few questions:

1. Can I boost the existing signal via EAP225?

I read that this is sort of possible, but will require creating a new network with the same SSID and parameters. Will this work with  my Nest devices?

2. Do I need to plug EAP via Ethernet cable directly to the main router or can I plug Ethernet from powerline extender TL-WPA8630P? 

It would be better for me to do the latter as the main issue is the back garden and the main router is located in front part of the house.

I see some knowledgable folks here, so it would be great to get your view on this before I go ahead and buy EAP access point. 

Options
2020-11-23 14:47:22

Hi @Pzak,

Could you describe your current networking setup a bit more.  What broadband service do you have, what download and upload speeds.  Which router do you have?  Are you currently using the Wifi built into your router, etc.?

The EAP series are business class wireless access points.  They are not extenders, etc.  But, yes, they can be configured to improve wifi coverage in your home together with (or better still) replacing your current Wifi solution.

The first suggestion I would have for your Nest cameras is to make sure Band Steering / SON / etc. are disabled on your current Router/Wifi solution.  Make separate SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz and then join your Nest cameras (especially the doorbell) to the 2.4GHz only.

My Nest Doorbell has very poor 5.8GHz antennas.  As soon as I switched it to 2.4GHz it has worked flawlessly.  Additionally, I have several Nest Cam IQ cameras (2019/2020).  These seem to work well on 5.8GHz -- but I have good 5.8GHz coverage indoors and out.

I have Verizon FIOS and am currently using the Quantum Gateway 1100.  But I have the Wifi turned off.  I have replaced it with 2xEAP245V3's (previously had 2xEAP225V3's), two outdoor EAP225's connected via MESH, and an OC-200.

I generally have ~48 Wifi devices active on my home network at any given time and everything works great (multiple kids virtual learning, two parents working from home, lots of streaming, plus the cams and a bunch of IoT.

Also make sure other "features" like airtime fairness, load balancing, etc. are disabled.  Regular QOS/WMM/etc should be on.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-23 14:53:56

You mention outdoor coverage.  Which EAP are you considering?  The 225-Outdoor?  Just FYI, the AP itself is weather proof (when installed right side up) but the midspan power injector is not.

There are a variety of ways an EAP225-Outdoor could be connected back to your router:

1) direct Ethernet (best) -- you could mount it on the outside of the house

2) Ethernet to MOCA bridge over COAX (2nd Best) -- works great (Actiontec MOCA 2.5 -- but rather expensive and required COAX)

3) Wireless MESH to an indoor EAP225V3 or EAP245V3 (Tied for 3rd Best) -- requires purchasing a second EAP and using Omada/SDN (free)

4) Ethernet to PowerLine bridge (Tied for 3rd Best) -- some have good luck with this but the speed and reliability of powerline connections is very hit or miss

Alternative, you could disable the Wifi on your current router, and add two or three (depending on the size of your home) indoor EAP225/245's.  If your cameras are mounted to the house, this should provide adequate coverage.  If your cams our out in the yard, then adding an outdoor EAP would be best.

-Jonathan

Options
2020-11-23 16:49:35

@Prodeje79 

Thank you Jonathan.  I try my best to provide all the details:

1. I am getting 45 mbps download and 15 upload (not great but should handle 2 outdoors IQ cameras, correct? I took the Nest doorbell out because there was just too much frustration with it) 

2. Internet is provided by Pure (British Telecom) and wifi is broadcasted via Technicolor router (looks very basic) - I haven't played with any setting there

3. The house has very thick walls (it's an old cottage) which kill the wifi even from room to room, thus I am using two extenders TL-WPA8630P in two parts of the house and they work well

4. Nest cameras are set on 2.4Ghz,  I have them for a week now and they work fine but I am suprised with low quality of picture I am getting (it 1080p but looking at the clips it shows they have only 2.1mp, this makes it impossible to see details like car reg parked outside of the house). What's your experience with this? 

5. I would like to connect EAP 225 to my extender in the back of the house and move EAP to the roof near one of the cameras. POE injector would be inside but EAP would be outside. 

I understand that EAP 225 is more of business solution, but after the research this seems to fit the purpose. 

Options
2020-11-27 14:13:24

Update on this...

I got EAP225 and connected it out from the powerline extender... Speeds seems good 50mbps download and 15mbps upload. 

I used another SSID in order not to confuse Nest.

Unfortunately, I didn't see improvement in video quality. Contacted Nest support and they say this is due to the signal strenght they see on camera (-60 / -70db)... But Omada software shows Nest Cam connected at RSSI -35db. Super confusing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1668

Replies: 8