Common Questions About TP-Link EAP Device When It's Used in Home Network

Common Questions About TP-Link EAP Device When It's Used in Home Network

19 Reply
Re:Common questions about TP-Link EAP device when it’s used in home network
2021-10-19 01:16:02

Dear @Bebe1980,

Bebe1980 wrote

So, is there some way I can set it up so the light bulb cctv is forced to connect through EAP225 rather than the EAP110 ?

i.e. Sort of isolate the test wireless network ssid so it's tied to the EAP225???

It's suggested to create a separate SSID on the EAP225 for the light bulb cctv. You can create a WLAN Group with the separate SSID included and assign the WLAN Group to the EAP225. Or use the SSID Override feature to change the SSID on the EAP225. Hope it helps.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-11-15 13:04:44

@Fae 

I have a problem when connecting a eap225 to my fritzbox 7590 by lan. I have set both SSID and password to be the same. 
The security setting on the fritzbox is set to WPA2 (ccmp)

The security setting on de eap225 is set to almost all the possible options but I keep getting two identical SSID's. Instead of 1 SSID.

I have tried different channels, but still the same problem.

How to configure the eap as AP and/or repeater (which should not be possible) 

Thanks in advance!

Options
2021-11-16 02:41:25

Dear @Oneandonly44,

Oneandonly44 wrote

I have a problem when connecting a eap225 to my fritzbox 7590 by lan. I have set both SSID and password to be the same. 
The security setting on the fritzbox is set to WPA2 (ccmp)

The security setting on de eap225 is set to almost all the possible options but I keep getting two identical SSID's. Instead of 1 SSID. 

I have tried different channels, but still the same problem. 

How to configure the eap as AP and/or repeater (which should not be possible) 

Usually, if we configure both Router and AP with the same SSID, Security Key and Password, ordinary clients will only show one SSID in the available wireless network list. But the clients will still see them as two since the BSSID is different.

Giving the network with the same SSD may have a downside. If you wander around, some clients may stay on its original connection until the signal is too weak to be connected, and then the clients will look for a stronger signal and reconnect. Keep in mind that whether or when to switch over to a new network is fully up to the wireless clients. Or you can manually switch over to a stronger signal by yourself.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-11-16 05:11:00

@Fae 

The problem is that I want to have 2 wireless Google nest's outdoor connected to the same SSID as Google home, as long as there are two SSID's with the same name this won't be possible! 

Is there a way to squeeze these two into one SSID? I have set the name, password en security to be the same!

Options
2022-10-18 20:44:10

@Fae 

Hi,  a few years ago I setup my home network using a TP-SG1016DE 16 port managed switch and it connects to 2 EAP115 units at either end of my long house which is made of rock.   I use the 802.1Q VLAN method in the switch.  I have 3 SSIDs on each AP, and all devices connected to the APs are isolated from each other even on the same SSID.   My printer is hard wired into a port and my private networked devices can see the printer but not each other.   Everything work correctly and well.    
But foolishly I thought that it was time for a wifi speed upgrade to the Access Points so I bought one EAP620HD.   I plugged it into a port of my TP-SG1016DE and setup the VLAN in the switch to accommodate it.   I discovered the following:- only if there is no VLAN setup in the EAP620HD can devices access the internet.   This means that I can't replace my EAP115 with this new EAP620HD.  I could, however, use it for my private network only but I don't think that individual devices would be isolated.  If I were to use this new AP I'd would need to keep the EAP115 working  for the IoT devices.   This is not good. 

TP-link technical have said that the Omada APs are different in some way, but they won't tell my how they are different from their previous APs eg the EAP115.   I sure that someone knows how to get an Omada AP to talk to a standard VLAN switch. 
Also, I can't find out if the VLAN management is in the switch (as it is with the TP-SG1016DE) or their Omada router.   I don't want to use their router as it doesn't have Threat Protection, and I need a switch with more than 5 ports but I'm not prepared to pay a business price for their 16 port device. And with the price of electricity, I don't want to run more devices consuming money all the time.

What I want is the EAP620HD to work with my 1016 managed switch.  Anyone know how to do that?

Options
2022-10-19 01:50:23

Dear @one_last_thing,

one_last_thing wrote

I plugged it into a port of my TP-SG1016DE and setup the VLAN in the switch to accommodate it.   I discovered the following:- only if there is no VLAN setup in the EAP620HD can devices access the internet.   This means that I can't replace my EAP115 with this new EAP620HD.  

What's the hardware version of your EAP115? If it's v4/v5, its VLAN should work the same as the EAP620HD.

To setup VLAN in the EAP620HD, both the router and the switch should be VLAN capable. Please ensure the router support VLAN first. Then configure VLAN in the switch to make the port connected to the EAP620HD and the port connected to the front router be tagged VLAN. And then the VLAN setup in the EAP620HD will work as expected.

Options
2022-10-20 21:46:36

@Fae 

Thank you so much for your care and interest in my problem.

I've spent the evening trying to get the EAP620HD working, but I haven't succeeded yet, so I have some questions that I'm sure that you could help with please. 

My EAPs are hardware version 1.0/2.0, I'm in theUK . The firmware is 2.1.0 Build 20180418 rel. 74719(4555)

My router had a firmware update last month which included LAN side VLAN as a new feature.    It has a main truck network and 4 ports and the default is all ports are set to main trunk network and all 4 ports untagged. 

Q1.  Does the router define the VLAN ID or the switch.    Currently, my switch defines the VLANs.   I haven't yet discovered how to set the port connected to my switch as tagged, but I've spent hours trying to do it.   I'm expecting that I need to set the VLAN ID in the router for my private network, (which if I have to set a VLAN give it an ID of 10, for example.    In the switch I'm expecting to have to use the same ID (10) and set member ports 1 (goes to the router), port 10 (goes to the EAP620HD).  These 2 ports need to be tagged from what you have said. Is all this correct?

Q2. Can you explain please why the router now needs to have its data packets tagged when sending them to the SG1016DE switch when using the EAP620HD but doesn't when using the EAP115.  How does the EAP620HD know that the data packets to and from the router are untagged?  If I understood this I would have a much better chance of getting the EAP620HD working.  I'm trying different settings and not getting very far, but I suppose that I still need to get the router packs tagged, I'll try again tomorrow evening. 

Q3. I'm guessing that if I can get the EAP620HD working that I would still be able to use my other EAP115.  But I'm not sure if I would need to modify the existing and fully working VLAN setup to allow the EAP115 to work. Currently the port 1 to the router is set to untagged in the VLANs which are current. I assume that the tags of the tagged traffic from the router will be ignored as the VLANs have untagged selected. 

I just need a few points clarified and I think that I'll be there. 

Many thanks

Kind regards

Options
2022-11-11 08:57:33

@Fae 

Most wireless routers can be configured as a full router or as just a wireless access point. In this tutorial, we’re doing the latter. We will configure a TP-Link router as a wireless access point to act as a range extender as well as a WAP.

You will first need to connect your TP-Link router to your main router via Ethernet. You can use WiFi if you prefer, but the configuration is slightly more difficult. Plus, if your main router has WiFi, using another router purely as a range extender is like hitting a peanut with a sledgehammer. Slightly over the top. 

https://aliceblueonline.com/antiq/opportunity/shares-below-100-rupees/
Options
2022-11-28 07:40:26 - last edited 2022-11-28 07:47:20

@Fae Hello & thanks for starting this thread.

I have a ERPOE-5 5-port Gb router (documentation link not alowed here) capable of supplying passive PoE at 24V & 48V. It doesn't support 802.3af or 802.3at.

I would like to attach to it 2 or more APs (eg:EAP225) via PoE over CAT6 to create a single large area WiFi network of a single SSID so connected devices can roam seamlessly. WiFi-5 is fine but would consider WiFi-6. If an Omada Controller is required I can run it on a RPi 3B or as a Debian VM.

EdgeOS on the ERPOE-5 is capable of DHCP & can advertise the IP address of a Unifi Controller (ERPOE-5 EdgeOS guide Chapter 7 "Services" / DHCP / UniFi Controller), would this work with an Omada Controller in the same way if its IP address was specified in the ERPOE-5 DHCP config?

Is this possible, would the ERPOE-5 & TP-Link APs be compatible & if so would there be any feature/stability loss?

Or am I just taking fistfulls of crazy tablets

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice you can give.

Options
Related Articles