Omada SDN limited functionality?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-31 13:07:47 - last edited 2020-11-02 09:45:53

Hello I just bought the TL-SG2428P switch supported by Omada SDN, but it seems that from this software you don't have access to all functionalities of the device, like PoE priority or PoE power limit, QoS, or other network features. It seems a very basic control instead if you control it via the GUI you have access to them, but using the GUI means no possibility to use Omada SDN and my purpose was to have everything controlled by under one umbrella, thing that is also advertised by TP-LINK. Is it possible that a so professional software doesn't have all the functions built in to control the switch?

Do you have a similar experience with this switch or other switches or devices compatible with the SDN?

Also it seems that the PoE schedule doesn't work, the port stays always ON.

Not sure if I'm making mistakes or is because things are in developments or are real bugs.

omada version is the 4.1.5 and firmware are uptodate with the latest version

thanks

Options
26 Reply
Re:Omada SDN limited functionality?
2020-11-02 09:45:23 - last edited 2020-11-02 09:45:53

Dear @Xstreem,

I just bought the TL-SG2428P switch supported by Omada SDN, but it seems that from this software you don't have access to all functionalities of the device, like PoE priority or PoE power limit, QoS, or other network features. It seems a very basic control instead if you control it via the GUI you have access to them, but using the GUI means no possibility to use Omada SDN and my purpose was to have everything controlled by under one umbrella, thing that is also advertised by TP-LINK. Is it possible that a so professional software doesn't have all the functions built in to control the switch?

Correct, some advanced functions will be limited once we use Omada SDN controller to manage the switch.

Please refer to the FAQ below to see the functions that can be configured on the controller.

What is the function we can configure when the switch is managed by Omada SDN Controller?

Also it seems that the PoE schedule doesn't work, the port stays always ON.

The SDN controller doesn't support DST time which may cause the functions related to time settings not working properly. This would be fixed in the next new version. Please wait patiently for the update.

You may try if the workaround helps for your case: specify the schedule times without DST offset or set the Site's (not the Controller's) timezone to your local time zone + local DST offset.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-02 11:25:10
I have a question regarding the Omada SDN Switch. is there support for Fallback VLAN on 802.11x ports? unauthorized devices are automatically routed to a guest vlan for example?
Options
2020-11-02 11:48:09

@Fae Hello Fae thanks for the answer. The limited functionalities are just for the moment and will be integrated in the next update ?

Also a devices like OC200/300 will have access to all functionalities or are the same of the software ?

Regarding the timing schedule the issue seems not related to the DTS because in this case would mean that the schedule would work but just at a wrong time, in all my tests it doesn't work with any time range, offset apart.

I have tried also to set the site to UTC-0 but nothing changed, any time range is not working and in my case where I was trying to schedule a PoE On/Off there are no times where this happens, PoE is always on.

The OC200/300 suffer of the same issue about the time range ?

Thanks

Options
2020-11-03 02:16:55

Dear @shberge,

is there support for Fallback VLAN on 802.11x ports? unauthorized devices are automatically routed to a guest vlan for example?

I'm afraid not. 802.1X ports allow only authentication messages and forbid normal traffic until the client passes the authentication.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-03 02:25:36 - last edited 2020-11-03 08:30:24

Dear @Xstreem,

The limited functionalities are just for the moment and will be integrated in the next update ?

I don't think so. 

Also a devices like OC200/300 will have access to all functionalities or are the same of the software ?

The OC200/300 can be taken as a PC installed with the Omada Controller software, so they are the same.

I have tried also to set the site to UTC-0 but nothing changed, any time range is not working and in my case where I was trying to schedule a PoE On/Off there are no times where this happens, PoE is always on.

I've reported this to the senior engineers who will do further tests, hopefully it would be resolved in the next firmware update.

Update: The newer version has been released. Please upgrade the Omada SDN controller and verify if the PoE Scheduler works or not.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/omada-software-controller/#Controller_Software

Options
2020-11-03 10:55:31

@Fae 

Thanks for the update, good to know.

Do you know if also the new release of Omada Controller it will be released soon also for OC200/OC300?

Thanks

Best Regards

Options
2020-11-04 02:22:04 - last edited 2020-11-04 02:30:19

Dear @Emitplink,

Do you know if also the new release of Omada Controller it will be released soon also for OC200/OC300?

Unknown when but it will be released sooner or later.

Options
2020-11-04 20:14:43 - last edited 2020-11-05 08:24:25

@Fae Hello Fae, that a newer version is released is nice.

I have tested the PoE functionality and now works correctly but I have a lot of concerns, see below.

1. I was wrong the PoE schedule was working also in the previous version, what deceived me is that, DIFFERENTLY from standalone mode, if for example now are the 7:23 and I set the time range 7:30 to 12:30, it should switch off as the actual time doesn't match the criteria, instead it will stay on. If you do the same in standalone mode it immediately switch off and return on at 7:30. This needs absolutely to be fixed.

2. Time range in the Controller Software, DIFFERENTLY from standalone mode, can be settled only in quarters of hour (15 mins), although this is acceptable for normal usage is very annoying for testing as we need to wait upto 15 minutes, time ranges needs to be chosen in minutes and not 15s.

2.1. I cannot set a time equal to the entire day (or in this case equal to zero minutes because we can only decide when power up ports and not when power down): If i go on holiday and I want to switch off all the EAP I cannot because there is no an override on/off function and the PoE schedule time minimum is 15 minutes.

2.2 If a port is down I cannot decide to power up or viceversa. It is not possible to have no such basic command.

3. VERY IMPORTANT ! You can choose times between 00.00am to 12.00pm, if I want to schedule an action valid from before midnight and after midnight, for example 7:00am to 3:00am (in order to have the EAPs off from 3:00am to 7:00am) this is not possible with one rule but I need to create 2 rules: one from 7:00am to 12:00pm and one from 00:00am to 3:00am, and this is a minor thing, I can do 2 rules BUT!!! having 2 rules end into the fact that at 12:00pm (or 00:00am) there are few seconds where the PoE switch down and then switch up creating disconnections, we MUST have possibility to decide if the time range from A to B is internal or external !!!

PS. I want to switch off some access points in the night from 3am to 7am and this creates a disconnection at midnight, this is NOT ACCEPTABLE, it's really basic programming.

also we should be able to decide if a PoE schedule is for On or Off.

4. I have decided to purchase the OC200 as I don't want to dedicate a PC always on for that and I want to monitor 24/7 the system, I want to let you know that the 4.1.5 version time range DST issue can be resolved using the NTP server of the country, infact after having settled the NTP server I didn't have to offset the time or change the time of the site (I know this is resolved with the latest version, but in the OC200 that actually runs the 4.1.5 the problem still exist), so I don't have to use any workaround even if I'm waiting for the latest version also on this device.

5. It is NOT ACCEPTABLE that with Software controller (PC or OC200/300) you don't have access to full functionalities of the devices, especially for the switches that have critical network functionalities. I have purchased all the TP-LINK system because able to work under one umbrella and the Controller Software was promoted as a system to manage complex networks with many devices and it is not acceptable you can only use basic functionalities of the devices. If we have to go in standalone mode we lose all the advantagies to manage our network from one bay and the system are intended for very professional use so it is mandatory that we can use ALL the functionalities of our devices, that sorry if I mention are not cheap and thinking that I have a Ferrari to go 50km/h it is frustrating and waste of money.

I hope that you will report those things to development team and these will be implement very shortly because the actual state of the art seems anything but professional.

I changed my Netgear switch for the TL-SG2428P and I have to use it at 30%....not good

I hope this is because this system is in the beginning but you have to give a big push now.

I will continue my testing and report things until these are listened.

Thanks and have a good day

Options
2020-11-05 03:28:41

@Fae 

If I configure QoS before provisioning with SDN, will the QoS settings remain in effect? If not, when will SDN support this? If not, these switches have hardly any more functionality than an unmanaged switch.

Options
2020-11-05 18:17:31

@Xstreem 

I agree with you on much of your post.

I also bought the SG2428P because of the SDN function, and while at this stage i do not need many of the advanced options, I was not expecting to either have to choose full functionallities but standalone managed without SDN (I could have stuck with my old 3424P) or put it in SDN which is the units selling point, only to have much of the configuration removed.

Given that the switch is what has the functionallities, this can be rectified by software or FW of the switch, i expect the commands are sent via API or some type of shell back to the switch, so the actual features are still there, just not managable via the software, which is a little dissapointing.

Now i am only a home user so much of the options are not a big deal for me, but it's still a kick in the teeth. I also purchased this switch to learn much of the features it has, but i can only do so if manually configured.

If this was clearly noted prior to sale that these options would never be available if used within SDN, i would not have purchased the switch and stuck with my old and faithful SG3424P.

I do like my switch, i liked my previous, and the one prior to that - which was also TP-Link branded, but software that isn't mature or keen to grow and add many of the missing features, then it makes me wonder whether the extra spend on a competitor is because these features do exist.

I too would really love to have these features back, even if i never actually use them, i paid for them when i purchased the switch, i'd like to choose if i use them or not.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4128

Replies: 26

Related Articles