Omada SDN limited functionality?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada SDN limited functionality?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
26 Reply
Re:Omada SDN limited functionality?
2020-11-09 19:44:26 - last edited 2020-11-09 19:46:43

@Fae hello Fae, not sure how your are connected with tplink but we are spending thousands of bucks and we expect atleast an answer ...aswell as implementation and bug fixes that are tons in Omada software, aswell as parallel updates in the controllers OCx00 (a free software is updated and a paid device not???, what service is this?)

Options
2020-11-10 20:01:39

@Fae 

coming back to PoE schedule, time range needs absolutely to be fixed very quickly, as I reported in point 1 of previous post you cannot switch off the AP just for example in the deep night.

If you want to switch off from 2am to 6am (just as example) you have to set 2 ranges: one from 06 to 24 and one from 00 to 6. Because times you can select are just within the same day and it has no sense.

Having two time ranges in any case doesn't work properly because at midnight you will have a quick disconnection that is not acceptable !

Please reply to this

Thanks

Options
2020-11-10 21:00:24

@Xstreem 

May I know if you are a System Integrator or just a private user?

Btw, this is a forum and community to help all the people, please report the potential issue or problem like a suggestion or request to be fixed and forward to TP-Link R&D, not as due or mandatory requests.

Thanks

Best Regards

Options
2020-11-10 21:18:07

@Emitplink Hello Emit, not sure why you are interested and what does matter the kind of customer I am. I'am a customer and purchsed several of these products for my new home spending several money and if I see bugs or limited things in a system that should be highly professional I am a bit disappointed. If I was on a forum for home level products people would say "then buy professional products", when I buy professional products I cannot ask for correction? Or better I cannot pretend it? Because these devices were not gifted but handsomely paid, also I'm planning to furtherly extend it and because I choose a professional product it should be professional, and I'm not happy when I see things like you cannot set a simple proper time schedule or tons of other easy and basic programming things or when there is an update for the Software Controller that is free but there is no the same update for the OC200 that I paid, sorry but this is not nice.

And If a product is bugged or cannot work in the way it should for me it's mandatory instead.

Thanks

Options
2020-11-10 21:24:59
There are ways to go about asking for fixes though, some of your replies are quite demanding and it appears that you dont quite appreciate that some of these products are in their first revision and WILL have bugs, quirks and anomalies, and I am in that bracket too. You could have easily bought one AP, Switch, Router or whatever device you have to ensure it does what you want before spending a fortune on brand new tech that has yet to be established within it's software package. Again, I am in this bracket, I am facing a couple of problems, but i am being respectful and patient while fixes are worked on, i was never expecting a fully working product without glitches on it's first FW or first setup of the SDN controller. Yes, these issues are frustrating, give the R&D team some time to fix the bugs and work on the issues.
Options
2020-11-10 22:01:18

@Rod-IT hello Rod, this is what I did, i first bought an ap but while progressing in the setup i needed the switch then i recognized i needed the controller and so on, and things come out when the system become more complete and the bugs I'm concerning with are related to basic programming functionalities, like not working with the correct dst time, don't have a proper schedule settings, don't have chance to turn on or off a poe port and i can list many things of this type. Sorry but those bugs or better bad implemened things are not related to "new technology" but are basic programming stuff, technology is something different and i don't complain if complex and new things are bugged but imcomplain when i see easy things implemented without a correct projectuality and with poor attention, because those things are not complex nor technological. I hope this can explain better why the frustration, then I'm sorry if looked a bit rude 😉

Options
2020-11-10 22:22:42

@Xstreem 

I am not disputing the bugs, I have listed my own here too on the forum.

And I never mentioned new technologies, I said new products.
Omada SDN while named 4.1.x is the first revision of software to encompass a host of products, both new and old, and while the issues noted may seem trivial to you and I, these may simply have been missed or an oversight in how the code is operating.

We all make mistakes, these will not have been put in on purpose and i am sure you understand this, but you appear to post aggressively because something is deemed simple to fix - and in most part, while i do agree, we need to allow the dev team time to fix these issues.

For example;

1. in the Omada SDN software, go to settings, profiles, time ranges and set a custom schedule, you'll notice Firday instead of Friday.

2. If you go to insight and rogue APs you'll notice the nearest AP is hyperlinked incorrectly so does not take you to the right page, instead errors.

Both of these are noted and to be fixed in the next update

By all means share your experiences, report faults and request features, but allow time for these to be put in place. Fixes are not deployed to the existing software in small updates like Windows patches, they come as new installs.

We are all only human, mistakes and coding errors are a given.

Options
2020-11-12 04:35:22 - last edited 2020-11-12 04:35:53

Dear @Xstreem,

1. I was wrong the PoE schedule was working also in the previous version, what deceived me is that, DIFFERENTLY from standalone mode, if for example now are the 7:23 and I set the time range 7:30 to 12:30, it should switch off as the actual time doesn't match the criteria, instead it will stay on. If you do the same in standalone mode it immediately switch off and return on at 7:30. This needs absolutely to be fixed.

3. VERY IMPORTANT ! You can choose times between 00.00am to 12.00pm, if I want to schedule an action valid from before midnight and after midnight, for example 7:00am to 3:00am (in order to have the EAPs off from 3:00am to 7:00am) this is not possible with one rule but I need to create 2 rules: one from 7:00am to 12:00pm and one from 00:00am to 3:00am, and this is a minor thing, I can do 2 rules BUT!!! having 2 rules end into the fact that at 12:00pm (or 00:00am) there are few seconds where the PoE switch down and then switch up creating disconnections, we MUST have possibility to decide if the time range from A to B is internal or external !!!

PS. I want to switch off some access points in the night from 3am to 7am and this creates a disconnection at midnight, this is NOT ACCEPTABLE, it's really basic programming.

I've forwarded this feedback to the senior engineer who will help to do further tests on the PoE schedule.

If there is an issue, the R&D will add a plan to fix it. 

2. Time range in the Controller Software, DIFFERENTLY from standalone mode, can be settled only in quarters of hour (15 mins), although this is acceptable for normal usage is very annoying for testing as we need to wait upto 15 minutes, time ranges needs to be chosen in minutes and not 15s.

also we should be able to decide if a PoE schedule is for On or Off.

5. It is NOT ACCEPTABLE that with Software controller (PC or OC200/300) you don't have access to full functionalities of the devices, especially for the switches that have critical network functionalities. I have purchased all the TP-LINK system because able to work under one umbrella and the Controller Software was promoted as a system to manage complex networks with many devices and it is not acceptable you can only use basic functionalities of the devices. If we have to go in standalone mode we lose all the advantagies to manage our network from one bay and the system are intended for very professional use so it is mandatory that we can use ALL the functionalities of our devices, that sorry if I mention are not cheap and thinking that I have a Ferrari to go 50km/h it is frustrating and waste of money.

This has been forwarded to the development team for further evaluation. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

2.1. I cannot set a time equal to the entire day (or in this case equal to zero minutes because we can only decide when power up ports and not when power down): If i go on holiday and I want to switch off all the EAP I cannot because there is no an override on/off function and the PoE schedule time minimum is 15 minutes.

2.2 If a port is down I cannot decide to power up or viceversa. It is not possible to have no such basic command.

Have you tried Profile Overrides for a specific port on the switch? There is an option for changing the PoE mode to OFF. 

Go to Devices ---> click the PoE switch ---> locate to Ports ---> edit Port 1 for example, check Profile Overrides to configure PoE mode.

4. I have decided to purchase the OC200 as I don't want to dedicate a PC always on for that and I want to monitor 24/7 the system, I want to let you know that the 4.1.5 version time range DST issue can be resolved using the NTP server of the country, infact after having settled the NTP server I didn't have to offset the time or change the time of the site (I know this is resolved with the latest version, but in the OC200 that actually runs the 4.1.5 the problem still exist), so I don't have to use any workaround even if I'm waiting for the latest version also on this device.

I appreciate your sharing with the Community. It could help other people who may have the same issue on controller 4.1.5.

I changed my Netgear switch for the TL-SG2428P and I have to use it at 30%....not good

I hope this is because this system is in the beginning but you have to give a big push now.

Thank you for your support and trust in TP-Link products. We will try the best to make TP-Link products better and better.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-16 03:23:21

Dear @Xstreem,

3. VERY IMPORTANT ! You can choose times between 00.00am to 12.00pm, if I want to schedule an action valid from before midnight and after midnight, for example 7:00am to 3:00am (in order to have the EAPs off from 3:00am to 7:00am) this is not possible with one rule but I need to create 2 rules: one from 7:00am to 12:00pm and one from 00:00am to 3:00am, and this is a minor thing, I can do 2 rules BUT!!! having 2 rules end into the fact that at 12:00pm (or 00:00am) there are few seconds where the PoE switch down and then switch up creating disconnections, we MUST have possibility to decide if the time range from A to B is internal or external !!!

For this issue, could you please do me a favor to confirm whether you still have the disconnection issue with Omada Controller V4.2.4?

As per the R&D team, it has been fixed in the Omada Controller V4.2.4. Looking forward to your update.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-11-16 14:19:33

@Fae Dear Fae, thanks for your reply. From first tests of today it seems working and resolved. Will test this also today at midnight.

Are you so kind to check also this post on another topic "SLOW WiFi 2.4G" many thanks.

Options
Related Articles