Votes

OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
50 Reply
Re:OpenVPN Missing field for Username and Password in Client Options
2022-08-30 18:00:46 - last edited 2022-08-31 03:12:55

YES! 

@TP-LINK, Please add UN/PW fields to OpenVPN.  Doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

Model: ER605 (TL-R605)

Hardware Version: V2

Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20220223 Rel.68551

Options
2022-08-31 03:12:29 - last edited 2023-04-25 01:37:15

Hi All,

Thank you for your valued and continuous feedback!

It's confirmed that OpenVPN supporting Username and Password authentication is planned to be added in the firmware adapted to Omada Controller v5.6, which can be expected to release in the end of September. So stay tuned!

Note: the release time mentioned here is for your reference only, it's subject to the actual firmware condition.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-09-02 17:59:50

@Fae 

Will this udate make it's way to the stand-alone device firmware (internal web server on ER-605) as well?  If so, what is the ETA?

Thanks for your rapid confirmation!

Options
2022-09-02 21:20:17

@Fae Yeah the only problem is, people have been asking about this SINCE 2020?????? YIKES

Fae wrote

Hi All,

Thank you for your valued and continuous feedback!

It's confirmed that OpenVPN supporting Username and Password authentication is planned to be added in the firmware adapted to Omada Controller v5.6, which can be expected to release in the end of September. So stay tuned!

Note: the release time mentioned here is for your reference only, it's subject to the actual firmware condition.

Options
2022-09-12 01:22:33
Seriously? I have just purchased the ER605 which has product description of Omada Gigabit VPN ROUTER. You can hardly advertise this as a VPN Router if it does support an OpenVP Client with VPN service credentials authentication. Now that I know that I have merely purchased an ornamental box, can anyone out there recommend a wired (i.e. no WiFi) VPN Router that does support an OpenVP Client with VPN service credentials authentication.
Options
2022-09-12 02:02:48

@Badger88 

For example, does the TP-Link TL-ER7206 support an OpenVPN Client with VPN service credentials authentication functionality?

Or is this also awaiting a software upgrade?

Options
2022-09-12 06:35:09 - last edited 2022-09-12 06:47:24

@Badger88 , that was the case and I already have bought into the Omada paradigm, so as client connecting to my VPN provider, I am using other protocols (LT2P). Unfortunately very few VPN service providers that do not have their headquarters in any of the 9-eyes (or 15) alliance member countries -  support L2TP - OpenVPN is much more widely accepted now (and more secure). However, the above message states they should have this by the end of September, and I have not checked the functionality, but will as soon as the update is released. My router (TL-ER7206) Is actually not standalone, I have everything controlled by an OC300. If you check the specs, for VPN throughput, the 605 - and many of the consumer grade much more expensive wireless VPN routers - don't hold a candle to the ER7206 VPN throughput. As client VPN, for example if I am on the web via Zurich, there are some websites where I am unable to access as they are only for people in my own country. The reason why I bring this up is, ideally everyone on my network is therefore protected as they are on the VPN automatically - but with OpenVPN, within the configuration you can specify to NOT use that VPN connection for specified destination websites, and even for specified machines to be allowed to do so. So once I have that working after their update, I won't have to keep flipping the VPN off and back in again to access those sites as needed. The product has had enough updates now to be considered a stable product that can be used for business in my opinion... so I am just patiently waiting. I am however flabbergasted this functionality was not available right out of the box when the hardware was originally brought to market. I mean, WHO on the planet, when using a VPN AS CLIENT with the OpenVPN protocol to connect to their VPN provider for internet access, does not have to use any user id or password to log into that VPN account? THAT DOESNT EXIST, THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

Options
2022-10-04 03:12:57

Hi,

Is there any update on the planned update for "OpenVPN supporting Username and Password authentication".
@Fae mentioned that the update was scheduled for release end of September.

I know it's only early October and I might be "jumping the gun", just an update or a new ETA would be helpful.

Thanks

Options
2022-10-04 04:18:34

@Badger88 Yeah I can't say I regret buying into the Omada ecosystem, but it's absolutely ridiculous I've been asking for this for more than two YEARS!

Options
2022-10-18 19:06:18

@Luds I sincerely regret buying this piece of cr@p (er605) today only to realize OpenVPN is not supported.

All my efforts to read specs before buying to ensure OpneVPN client support was laghued at by TP link.

I have never felt so ripped of as by TP link, shame on them!! Will throw out my Tapo devices with that worthless "router"

Options

Voters 14

+ 10 Voters