DHCP reservation for Omada EAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DHCP reservation for Omada EAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
46 Reply
Re:DHCP reservation for Omada EAP
2021-02-04 11:20:20 - last edited 2021-02-04 11:20:50

Can we set static IPs outside the reserved area now?

Options
2021-02-04 13:34:59 - last edited 2021-02-04 13:36:19

@rjow2021 what do you mean with "outside the reserved area"

You assign a DHCP range

all clients will receive an available IP out of this range. Attempting to assign an IP obtained by the DHCP server outside of this range will not succeed.

i.e. client received 192.168.128.22 and then attempting to reserve the IP 192.168.128.200 is not possible. The UI will reject it which is expected.

If you want to assign a Static IP or any IP outside of this DHCP range, you would have to do this on the device itself. After all DHCP stands for "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol"... DYNAMIC!

Options
2021-03-17 00:31:24 - last edited 2021-03-17 00:34:12

@Zedan_ises 

The point of the pool is to allow the DHCP server/host to automatically assign random IPs to various devices using only the ip range assigned to the pool. Normally, one should be able to set static IPs outside of the available DHCP pool (this is normally a small reserved IP pool within the subnet) - as this is normally expected out of standard routers or servers that hosts DHCP services. Allowing static IPs (outside of the pool) gives you flexibility in ensuring some devices (specially those that cannot be configured manually) are provided with an IP that cannot be randomly given away to another device.

I have had instances in Omada with an eap225-outdoor with it's IP [x.x.x.33] randomly given to another device despite it being assigned to the EAP as static and within the DHCP pool range.

@rjow2021 for now, the "hack" I use for this is "problem" or gap is to set your dhcp pool, for example, as 192.168.1.2 - .254, then manually assign the static IPs to the devices you need through the individual devices' config section, once done with your static IP requirements, then you can update your dhcp to a smaller pool like 192.168.1.51-254. The static IP will stick even after reboots of the controller (i have the oc200.)

I know it's too much work for something so simple but we make do with what we have (or rather, we don't have lol )

Options
2021-03-17 08:15:51 - last edited 2021-03-17 10:53:20

@papagibo 

Thanks for the heads up on this hack, great find! I did try while I was messing around with the R605 under the controller to get around the slight issue. But its great to know there is a way round it. 

I don't think @Zedan_ises had a clue what I was on about, even though this is actually something you can do in most other routers.

Options
2021-03-17 12:30:02

I can confirm, that DHCP on the Omada isn't working 100%.

Some devices receive unreserved IPs after reboot, though it has the reservation set in the MAC list. I can only see this for 2 devices in my network of 42. All other seem to keep the IP after reboot. It's always the same 2 devices which are affected... any ideas?

Options
2021-03-31 23:08:33

Any updates here? I have a device that doesn't support DHCP, so I set a static IP and would like to reserve that IP from the DHCP pool. It doesn't show up in the clients list because it didn't ask the router for an IP.

Options
2021-04-11 17:23:37

@Fae Agree this is just absurd in this day and age that you cannot use the same DHCP reservation process that you can directly in the interface. Needs immediate attention. You;ll find a lot of unhappy campers quickly as Nest devices (Thermostat and Protect) in particular do not like having their IP addresses float around. They really like to see the same IP or else the UI will not work nicely. Many other IOT devices have the same issue.

Options
2021-04-15 09:10:22

@Fae 

No offense, but easily the worst way to assign reserved DHCP addresses ... at the client level  !!!

It is clumsy at best, and certainly nothing you would want to use at large scale where perhaps you are setting up a bunch of devices you are either migrating from a device that has sane DHCP reservation.

You have no way in the UI of seeing who has been assigned a Static IP or any way to look at what you are doing when assigning a large number - For instance being able to see what devices and addresses have already been assigned. 

If I have 100 clients, am I supposed to go through each client one by one to see which ones are assigned as STATIC, then write those all down and then keep a running list as I add more? Quaint, but not competitive or even good UI design.

We need something that allows you to assign IP addresses in ONE PLACE. Take a lesson from Linksys routers where they present a list of DHCP assigned clients and their addresses and then allow you to simply morph the dynamic IP into a static IP of your choosing. No inputting MAC addresses like some lame manufacturers.

Love you products, not impressed with the software folks.

Options
2021-05-06 17:46:16

@PapyPom 

To all who might be interested.

I agree with the others' comments that this is a big hole in the software.  I just set up the Omada system and what I am using is a separate device for my DHCP server.

If you have never heard of PiHole it is an application for the RaspberryPI that acts as a network wide ad blocker and DNS caching server.  The other capability it has is to act as a DHCP server.  It has the address reservation functionality included.  

I wondered how it would work with the Omada system.  I am pleased to report no issues.  You just need to turn off DHCP in the router/gateway.  I am using TL-ER7206.  The DHCP is running on a RaspberryPI 3. 

It is inexpensive and might provide a solution until the Omada system builds out more functionality.

Options
2021-07-25 19:17:40
Hi Fae, this is a much needed feature for large deployments and to be able to send out replacement equipment that so that i can be dropped in. Please make this a high priority item as this is to be considered table stakes for a DHCP server implementation.
Options
Related Articles