Votes

mDNS Service

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

mDNS Service

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
252 Reply
Re:mDNS Service
2021-05-29 11:06:06 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

Personally i moved from Ubiquiti to Omada only because of unresolved DHCP issues i had in that ecosystem otherwise id still be there.

@Bashers 

Same here. Though not just DHCP but also the state of Ubiquiti as a company made me pull the plug on Unifi before I bought more of their devices. Their firmware updates have been a disaster over the past year or so (and possibly longer), they had a major security breach which they tried to play down, and just weeks after that breach they decided to force everyone into their cloud. And the only good thing about their support is that I managed to get to level 3 support rather quickly, but even there communication was not as it should be (kept ignoring the difficult questions and sometimes not respond at all until I send a reminder after two weeks or so, and they are more concerned about not admitting any (possible) bugs than about helping the customer. To me it is quite obvious that Ubiquiti managements primary task is to maximize profits in the short and perhaps mid-term. They apparently spend heaps of money on youtube influencer marketing instead of R&D and the strategy worked because everyone on youtube is more or less raving about unifi while it is hard to find anyone even mention Omada (it's changing though!). Just look at the development of their market value!

I'm saying this not to claim that Omada is great and Unifi is rubish but rather to say that there are major problem with both systems and the lack of mDNS support in Omada is also freaking me out as it delaying my VLAN setup. Deciding between Unifi and Omada was not easy for me but the reason why I eventually switched to Omada despite knowing that they are not very responsive to bug reports (from what I've heard they suggest workarounds and stuff but often won't fix the actual bug) is that I figurted that I'd rather be on a system with a conservative release policy than one where updates sometimes come several times per month, often breaking existing functionality.

Sorry if this was somewhat off-topic, but I felt it was relevant because many people in this thread compared Unifi and Omada.

As for mDNS: I'm not too optimistic about when Omada will support this, given that TP-Link is sending incoherent signals, but they seem to be moving into the right direction. In the mean time: does anyone know about a guide/ tutorial for setting up VLANs without mDNS support? What I mean is: all guides that I've seen are about separating devices that only need internet access from those who don't need internet and so on, but they don't consider which multicast/bonjour-devices need to be on the same VLAN due to lack of mDNS. I'd appreciate such a guide or if someone would just share the setup that works for them so that I don't have to start from scratch.

Options
2021-05-29 14:59:57 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

@toffee how about use omada for your software and wireless network and use another brand for your internet connection. 

Pfsense do and excellent and very configurable firewall router that does loads more than the tp link offering. 

Mdns was not the only thing I'd lose by swapping my pfsense box for a 605.

Filtering

Queues and QOS

More than two internet connections

Higher vpn throughput 

Options
2021-05-31 13:48:11 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

BurntOC wrote

Wow, this blows my mind.  I actually came to Omada from Unifi as I was going to need to add another AP in my Unifi system to extend coverage, and mDNS casting, to my backyard.  While there are pros and cons with each controller, I think I'd gotten to where performance and manageability were good enough that I could stay on Omada - then this.  

This is a deal-breaker, for me.  With Unifi, and most every other AP setup I've had to date, I can cast from one network or VLAN to another.  I can see my Chromecast speaker groups, etc.  With this Omada and my EAP245s? Nope.  I hope i have lucky timing on some sort of enhancement by TPL, because I'm sending these all back the beginning of next week and returning to my Unifi setup if not.

Well, I figured I owed Tp-Link and this group a follow-up.  I did ultimately have success with my Omada and EAP245s browsing across VLANs.  Could be that's by default and I hadn't had time for discovery to re-settle in, could be the UDP boradcast relay my OPNsense firewall has running, or something else, I'm not sure.  Once that was working it was pretty stable - as much or more as I've had with the Unifi setup.  Adding an outdoor AP was easy as well, and this setup could work well for me.  That said, I did go back to Unifi, at least for now, but that's because the signal I get 1-2 rooms over from my nanoHDs was stronger than what I was getting on the 245s and that meant 1-2 less APs for me at the moment.  I get that it's probably a wash from a cost perspective except that I can return the Tp-Links and I can't the Unifi.  So to keep it simple and defer costs, I'm staying.  Maybe the Tp-Link Wi-fi 6 and 10GB switches will be strong enough reasons for me to switch  12-18 months down the road.  

Options
2021-12-22 14:59:35 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

+1 for mDNS support.

I'd really want our meetingroom chromecast being accessible from both the corporate lan and visitors lan.

Options
2021-12-23 10:43:02 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43
unfortunately, it looks like mDNS is not even in version 5.0 :-(
Options
2021-12-23 23:15:04 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

I realize that we can submit suggestions for improvement- and I think the request for the mDNS service has been sent -  but someone should be able to confirm if or if not this is on their roadmap.

SO  -- paging forum admins -  Please confirm or deny that mDNS is on the road map  OR  direct us to someone who can answer this or show us a roadmap ....

Thank you in advance...

Options
2021-12-26 10:09:41 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

@Positron +1 for mDNS support

Options
2021-12-26 10:09:57 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

+1 for mDNS support.

Options
2021-12-26 10:10:39 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

+1 for mDNS support

angry    

Options
2021-12-26 18:58:21 - last edited 2022-04-18 05:59:43

@Xstreem I ended up configuring a trunk port on my switch containing both vlan's; hooked up a forgotten Raspberry Pi to that port, configured the second vlan to my eth0 and installed avahi onto the pi. Took me 10 minutes in total, and works like a charm :-)

Sad though that it's not available in the current firmware/cloud SDN yet.

Options

Voters 36

+ 32 Voters