TL-R605 with OC200 cannot resolve internal network names

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-R605 with OC200 cannot resolve internal network names

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:TL-R605 with OC200 cannot resolve internal network names
2022-01-19 22:40:48

@MarcoE 

Here are the steps I used to get my networks subnetted and on line (mostly). 

My first issue was that my DNS/DHCP server wasn't being seen by the router/controller and I tried everything. Then I got to reading the tech support bulletins that their, so called engineers, kept sending me and decided to set things up outside their normal parameters.

1. Configure the seperate subnets in the controller menu as described but utilizing their DHCP system. I read in one of their more obscure bulletins that the DNS server was built into that controller configuration. Once I set up the networks, I created the profiles using the DHCP options listed.

2. Mounted the profiles to the switch ports following the instructions in the controller help menu. Setting up trunk profiles and switch subnet profiles as per the help menu. The trick is that all of the switches (most of them anyway) have to be layer 3 SDN capable in order to mount the profiles to the switch ports. I have one 16 port TP-Link switch that is just a plain layer 2 switch but I have that in line with my router where my primary Microsoft DNS/DHCP/file share, etc server is plugged into. The other switches are all 8-10 port POE SDN switches that I set up port profiles utilizing the controller menus. All of my switches are operating the different subnets now, keeping my network segregated.

I hope this helps. If anyone needs more step by step details, let me know and I will draft up a knowledge database article and post it here for you.

Options
2022-01-20 06:44:16

@todonal hm- my network is much simpler (only one subnet) but even there the DNS of the TL-R605 was not capable to resolve the names (for which he gave DNS adresses before).

Kind Regards
Marco

Options
2022-01-21 00:14:00

@MarcoE 

I didn't configure ant DNS server settings directly in the controller, just DHCP. I read that the DNS server was an automatic resolver when DHCP was set up correctly. I set up my Microsoft DNS/DHCP system as a back up. I haven't had any issues since I finished configuring everything a couple of weeks ago. If need be, I can supply a screenshot or two, if that would help?

Options
2022-03-03 22:03:41

@todonal 

Hi,

I have an ER7206 and facing the same issue.  I have adopted the TL-ER7206 into a managed Omada network using a OC200 hardware controller.

I have set up the DHCP server and it is serving addresses to my intranet devices.  I can even see names associated with them in the clients list of the Controller administration interface.  But I am not successful in resolving those names using 'dig' with the ER7206's IP address as my DNS server.

It sounds like you were able to get this basic functionality working by configuring your network in an unconventional way (using proiles associated with switch ports)?

Can you describe your approach in a step-by-step manner with screenshots?  My guess is that the TL-R605 is similar enough to the TL-ER7206 that I could follow along to see if your approach works for me.

Thanks,

G

Options
2022-03-13 16:10:19

@MarcoE I just bought my ER605 yesterday and I'm running into this problem now.  This is the 2nd dealbreaker I've found.  The other is being able to configure only one NO-IP DDNS hostname.  I should return this thing.

Options
2022-03-14 00:09:34

@MarcoE 

My work around for No-IP was to configure a second hostname on No-IP that pointed to the original one. As for not resolving, I found that these Omada controlled products don't work so well as stand alone products. They will work but they take a lot more setting up in the product GUI's. Mine runs fine, so far, with minor hiccups now and again but that is to be expected of any equipment. It was all a matter of setting up the different networks in the controller under wired LAN settings, configuring the profiles and mounting those profiles on the switch ports all using the onboard DNS and DHCP rather than my Windows server. My Window DC server is running off of a non-Omada controlled TP-Link switch right now. My other Windows server is running off its own subnet through the Omada port profile settings. My living room entertainment devices are on a different switch and subnet set up through the Omada controller. Do you see a pattern here? Each separate subnet runs off of a different Omada controlled switch.

Options
2022-04-14 18:38:55

@MarcoE 

I'm using the TL-R605 V1 and it doesn't have the option to use DNS addresses.

It's very problematic because I have an OpenVPN service running on a machine that is reachable through NoIp service or DDNS.

Seems to me that the ovpn configuration file do not override the GUI configuration, so no DNS can be used.

Omada also works with IPs only, no DNS option (it throws an error, simply can't save VPN Policy).

No DNS option?... so bad...

Any ideas? 

Options
2022-04-14 22:54:02

@mathestro 

I have my OpenVPN server set up through the Omada OC200 controller I have. I set up a pool of addresses in the config settings and it works great. I have heard and had a little bit of not so good experience with the ER605 router not working well as a stand alone unit. There are massive amounts of configurations that can be done but whether they work well, that is debateable. I do know that TP-Link devices designed to work with the controllers, fare better with configurations being more stable than without and I got that from a tech blog reveiwer last year. Let me know if I can provide any more detailed information that may help you.

Options