Moving Omada Software Controller to new computer?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-20 02:46:34
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 4.15

Hello:

The question - How do you migrate the Omada software controller (Windows) to a new computer without reconfiguring everything?

What I have tried

I have been using the Omada software controller for a few months but, the computer its on is old and getting replaced. I did a backup of the configuration on old computer. I installed the same Omada software controller on the new computer, did a restore from the backup I made of the config. The old computer software controller not running. When I started the software it knows about the AP's but shows disconnected.

I then went into the old computer and removed management from all access points (in a mesh, one wired, others only Wi-Fi connected). Then I thought I'd see them and be able to adopt from the new software. Nope, stiff disconnected. I was able to go back to the old computer, adopt both the access points and restore service.

I am at a loss.... I am thinking about getting the hardware controller but really would like to solve the simple issue of moving the software from one computer to another.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Moving Omada Software Controller to new computer?
2021-02-23 09:42:56

Dear @Brumey,

What I have tried

I have been using the Omada software controller for a few months but, the computer its on is old and getting replaced. I did a backup of the configuration on old computer. I installed the same Omada software controller on the new computer, did a restore from the backup I made of the config. The old computer software controller not running. When I started the software it knows about the AP's but shows disconnected.

Did you check the firewall settings on your new computer? If your new computer is Windows OS, please refer to Step 5. Allow Java to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall from the following FAQ and see if it helps.

What should I do when the Omada Software Controller (V4) fails to discover the devices

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-02-23 17:54:57

@Fae 

I had to 'forget' the EAP225's, open new software install (did not do a restore of data), adopt the AP's and set everything up again, SSID's, power, etc. 

You should have a tech document for people moving the controller software from one computer to another. Having to setup everything again is lame. 

Thanks,

Kevin.

Options
2021-02-24 01:12:28

Dear @Brumey,

I had to 'forget' the EAP225's, open new software install (did not do a restore of data), adopt the AP's and set everything up again, SSID's, power, etc.  

You should have a tech document for people moving the controller software from one computer to another. Having to setup everything again is lame. 

Thank you for your valued feedback. There is a FAQ for moving the Omada controller actually.

Guidance and precautions for the upgrade and data migration of Omada Controller/OC200

Not sure what may cause the problem since you have reset and reconfigure the network, I'll keep an eye on such kind of feedback.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3434

Replies: 3

Related Articles