seamless WiFi with eap 245

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-13 16:17:04
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.21.0 (build 20200522)

I have two eap 245 access points in a network with 2 tp-link switches (they are not connected to the same switch or each other).

Using the wireless browser setup (accessing tplinkeap.net whilst being connected to the 245's WiFi) I have both of them the same SSID and password.

This does not lead to seamless WiFi or so it seems the network speed of access point #1 drops when I switch on #2. Does this mean it needs to be set up in a different way? There is nothing in the manual.

I also logged in to omada.tplinkcloud.com, but I don't seem to be able to view the devices there: for 'add controller' I need a 20 digit key, but the stickers on the switches only list MAC addresses?

Is there another way to control these devices / set up seamless WiFi for the access points?

Many thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:seamless WiFi with eap 245
2021-03-13 20:52:08 - last edited 2021-03-13 20:56:32

@alle_meije 

Hey

Yeah the setup you have at moment wont give you seameless roaming, basically the 2x 245s are working as independent devices.    In this setup as the APs are not controlled in any way, therefore the roaming will be down to the device itself to decide.

Generally the device will hold onto the current AP until death; then it will disconnect and rescan for the SSID and move to the other AP.  This is clearly not seamless!

To do it seamless you will need a controller in place to manage the APs, this can be either Software or Hardware.   The Software version is FREE on the TP Link site if you have a spare PC to run this on (will need 24x7), or buy yourself an OC200 controller for around £50 / $US70

The OC200 is a small controller you attach to the same network as the APs, it will see the APs and allow you adopt them into management.   Once managed in settings enable the screenshot below, this will turn on seamless roaming.

Now they are managed the OC200 will do the work for you and it should be seamless provided the device supports this (most now do in practice)

Fast Roaming.. its fast roaming (seamless as you say)  and its offical standard is 802.11 K V R

Dual Band allow it to roam from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz and back.. etc etc..  if this is off it will only move  5 to 5  or   2.4 to 2.4

Force Disconnect.. if the device doesnt support 802.11KVR (roaming standards) it will force the device to reconnect if its closer (stronger / better signal) on another AP.. basically forced roaming for old devices.

My recommendation.. buy an OC200 as its cheap and works (have one myself for my 3x 245s).     But you will need to cable the 2x networks / switches together in some way, without that central management they will continue to work as individual APs

Hope that helps!

Options
2021-03-13 21:24:43 - last edited 2021-03-14 10:08:29

@Philbert 

Thanks for the reply! I guess for now that means I'll have to use them as two separate devices. At the moment one is connected to one switch, the other to another switch that's connected to the 1st. Connecting them directly is not possible.

Must say the promotion is a bit misleading, saying that the radio eap 245 supports fast roaming, they're even being sold in sets - it gives the impression that this is better integrated than with other models. With an extra controller you can set it up with any type of AP!

would it then be better for coverage/reception to use separate SSIDs? Our does that not make a difference?

Thanks!

Options
2021-03-14 17:26:01

@alle_meije 

Hey

Must say the promotion is a bit misleading, saying that the radio eap 245 supports fast roaming, they're even being sold in sets - it gives the impression that this is better integrated than with other models. With an extra controller you can set it up with any type of AP!

Cant say I entirely agree with that statement, from experience anything that is business grade will be expected to have management in some way.    At the risk of offending, anyone buying business grade hardware should know that some controller is required for fast roaming, this is very much a controller only feature and not something that any AP i know of has built in.   Its the same with UniFi from Ubiquiti, one would expect that you have a controller in place for more than 1 device if you require roaming..    

Also worth noting controllers are not generic, specific controllers are required for specific vendors; furthermore not all APs can be managed, this is very much a business / enterprise grade feature. 

In answer to your question, changing the SSID or coverage wont make a difference.  If the 2 APs dont know about each other then they simply wont hand over seamlessly, the contollers job is to watch the signal / info coming from both APs and judge when to move the client from A to B...     Without a controller the client will determine when to roam and it will hold on till grim death before doing so

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1834

Replies: 3

Related Articles