Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi 4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-20 02:07:48 - last edited 2022-09-01 08:58:01

This brief post, which can hardly be called comprehensive, is my contribution to installing the Omada software controller on a Raspberry Pi 4. For Dummies. Like me.

The disclaimer is that I've only gotten it running and haven't yet migrated over my settings from the laptop that my main instance currently runs on. I also have almost no idea what I'm doing in Linux and just want things to work.

Here's what worked for me:

1. Get a Raspberry Pi and just order it with an SD card pre-loaded with Raspbian. One less thing to deal with.
  2. Install Docker. You can Google how to install Docker on a Raspberry Pi. Not sure which website I followed but this one seems good. Not that I took the lazy approach of not setting up an account for a non-root user. https://phoenixnap.com/kb/docker-on-raspberry-pi
  3. Install Portainer. To deal with Docker. https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-portainer/
  4. Now you'll need to find the software image for the Omada controller and pull it into Docker by using Portainer. Don't get lost in the weeds of trying to use Github for this like I did. Use Portainer's onboard support for Dockerhub and pull down the same image made by the same guy. Two important points:
    1. By using the containerized version of the software (which is what you're doing with Docker if you're following my steps) you can avoid having to deal with Java versions and Mongo DB. This is a potential pitfall of trying to coordinate all the dependencies yourself. This guy solved that problem with a packaged solution.
    2. You want to pull the down image using "mbentley/omada-controller:latest-armv7l". You could use other tags but it seems that the version that will run on Raspberry Pi 4 needs to be for the armv7l architecture. Not arm64, etc.
  5. Now you need to use Portainer to create a Container using the image you just pulled. This is pretty straightforward if you follow the documentation.
  6. Now you should be able to start the container and it should run. The Omada controller is now running on your Raspberry Pi.

What I need to do next is to learn about volumes and how to store data from the software so, if the Pi shuts down, my network settings don't go with it.

Hope this saves someone a few hours...

Options
22 Reply
Re:Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi 4
2021-06-18 20:49:48

@tlr6052021 I was thinking of going that way with Docker, but I ultimately installed Ubuntu Server 20.04.2 using the ARM64 image for the PI 4. I installed it using the same as you would on a regular Ubuntu server using the instructions in the documentation and didn't have any issues. Just wanted to put that out there as an option as well.

Options
2021-07-06 15:09:58 - last edited 2021-07-07 20:24:44

Have you managed to upgrade you Omada version yet? I completely screwed up my last one and did a rebuild to get back.

Silly me. sudo dpkg -r omadac and tell it to backup the database. Then sudo dpkg -i Oamada_SDN.... and import the backup. 

All worked fine

Options
2021-07-28 14:36:39

Just got this working, thanks for the guide. I've never used portainer so I thought I'd add in some steps that I had to discover to translate the recommended settings from https://github.com/mbentley/docker-omada-controller to portainer to get me the last mile.

First, set the image to pull

Then add the ports to be forwarded

Then the env variables to set

And lastly the restart policy

Thanks again for getting me 90% of the way there

Options
2021-07-31 14:24:13

@tlr6052021 What will be the price if I want to buy it for a larger office network? Do I need any online UPS support for this? I found this online ups https://smartpowerltd.com/online-ups-price-in-bangladesh-2/ and are they capable to maintain this kind of setup? 

Kabir Sumon CEO & MD Smart Power and Technologies
Options
2021-07-31 18:46:25 - last edited 2021-07-31 18:47:30

Hi, I am using a smart backup UPS by APC for my PI. It is a 4GB which I would recommend as the JVM uses 550MB and the Mongo about 300MB. An online UPS is probably overkill for this application. My setup is not running with the container version. It is a straight setup on Ubuntu 20.04.

Options
2021-08-09 04:47:03 - last edited 2021-08-09 04:58:59

what is the text after /usr/local/sbin..... I cannot see it. Thanks

Dont worry I found it: 

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
Options
2021-09-01 19:17:56

@tlr6052021 I was able to get the controller on Raspberry Pi working  .  Everything works fine for abotu 3 or 4 days and then I cannot reach the controller.  I reboot the Pi and then everything works great again.  Anything that I can check to see why my Pi is hanging after a few days?

Options
2021-09-01 20:57:51
When the controller is hanging can you ping the pi? Can you ssh into it?
Options
2021-09-13 11:00:31

@tlr6052021 Hello all! Or can you just lay out the finished image for the bay in the Raspberry Pi 4 with standard media?

Options
2021-09-13 23:29:34

@HomeAdmin Yes, I can ping and SSH but unable to access the controller. Either directly from a pc and when i go to the app or https://omada.tplinkcloud.com/#controller it does not show the controller active.

Options

Information

Helpful: 9

Views: 31283

Replies: 22

Related Articles