TL-SX1008 loud fan noise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-SX1008 loud fan noise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-SX1008 loud fan noise
TL-SX1008 loud fan noise
2021-05-10 08:49:50

Hi,

I recently acquired the TL-SX1008 8x 10Gb switch. It operates like it should although i find the fan noise to be pretty loud.

I always used HP ProCurve switches in the past, but wanted to upgrade to a 10Gb LAN for a faster connection to a NAS system.

When i reset the device it is extremely loud, but that is part of the boot process i presume. Then it is quiet for a few minutes until it starts making noise again.

Not as loud as upon boot but still seriously noticeable from a distance.

The switch is sitting in a temperature controlled cabinet with airflow in and outwards. Temperatures inside never exceeded 25°c, so this is well within spec.

Is this fan noise normal for this device? Or should it be completely silent?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Marcus

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-SX1008 loud fan noise
2021-05-13 07:08:00

Dear @therealthings,

therealthings wrote

When i reset the device it is extremely loud, but that is part of the boot process i presume. Then it is quiet for a few minutes until it starts making noise again.

Not as loud as upon boot but still seriously noticeable from a distance.

The switch is sitting in a temperature controlled cabinet with airflow in and outwards. Temperatures inside never exceeded 25°c, so this is well within spec.

Is this fan noise normal for this device? Or should it be completely silent?

It cannot be completely silent as the switch is equipped with a Fan.

It might be normal to hear that noise on the device. As I know, the noise level of the TL-SX1008 is 30.7dBA - 48.3dBA at 1m 25℃.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-09-04 00:18:08

@therealthings I had the same problem, I recently bought two of these switches and the fan noise was constantly audible even while the switches were idle. After opening it up, I found they just use regular 40mm fans with 3 pin connectors, and after searching for the fan model it's rated at 28.5dB(A), which is quite loud. I was able to replace the fan with a much quieter option that actually pushes more air for about $15 USD, so kind of crazy that TP-Link don't just use a better fan for the product. I wrote a short post covering how to mod the switches fan here: https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-fix-tp-link-tl-sx1008-switch-fan-noise/

Options
2021-12-10 01:59:15

@Jarrod9000 the noctua fan moves much less air than the OE Sunon fan.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2153

Replies: 3