Building a mesh WLAN with EAP115-Wall?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-10 14:34:48 - last edited 2021-06-10 18:02:23
Model: EAP115-Wall  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I tried to find this information on the TP-Link page, in this forum and also on the web, with no success - so:

I would like to cover my house with a wireless network. Since it will require multiple access points, I would like to build a mesh network to ensure a smooth transition when I move within the house. Will that work using a couple of EAP115-Wall units, which are connected by cable to an PoE-Router? Would it require a Omada Cloud Controller?

If this all does not work - would it work with a EAP225-Wall instead?

Thanks for your help and comments!

DocEW

Options
5 Reply
Re:Building a mesh WLAN with EAP115-Wall?
2021-06-10 22:37:10

@DocEW 

Hey

This depends on what exactly you are after.    Mesh is the term for Access Points connected via a Wireless backhaul, if you connect these via a cable its technically not a mesh but rather just a wired wifi network.   In terms of functionality, they are both the same, however, you will get better performance with the later (wired wifi). 

Left is wired WiFi     Right Mesh

Semantics aside, I think what you are after is seamless roaming?  Namely the ability for one access point to hand the connection over to the next one as you move about?

This comes under 3x wifi standards called   K V  and R   you don't need to know what they are, more just that they exist.  For devices to seamlessly roam the network must support KVR and have a controller to 'manage' the roaming.     This can be a cloud controller, however, most people go for an OC200 controller as they are fairly reasonably priced and do the job perfectly!   Would totally recommend this. 

Once you have a controller you can enable seamless roaming (also known as fast roaming) as shown below.  This will work on wired and mesh wifi, but both require a controller.  AI roaming is a new feature where the controller will select which AP is best for which client and make proactive roaming decisions for you based on your topology.

Yes a POE switch would also be a wise decision, you can use this to power not only the OC200 controller but also the APs.

However..  the EAP115 / 225 wall do not support the KVR roaming protocols and cannot do seamless roaming.  This is basically as they are not designed for it.  The setting for these devices is Hotel or Dorm rooms where the WiFi is specific for one area and therefore connected to one AP, no need to roam.   In this setup you want the clients to connect to the wall access point in their room and stay there, no random roaming or jumping to the neighbouring rooms

You can setup a wired wifi with the EAP115/225 wall units, however you wont roam gracefully.   If roaming is your desire you would be better looking at the EAP225 / 245 / 6xx range of Access Points, these can be mounted on wall or ceiling (I have 2x ceiling and 1x wall), they roam perfectly.

Hope this helps and do reply if any queries!

Options
2021-06-12 20:46:37 - last edited 2021-06-12 21:08:25

Dear @Philbert,

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! That really helped a lot and is highly appreciated! :-)

First, to clarify: I want to do the "wired WiFi" architecture and, yes, I would like to have seamless roaming. :-)

After some more reading, I guess my options would be
a) Use a EAP225 / 245 / 6xx, supported by the OC200 controller (=your suggestion)
b) Use a product from the Deco series, e.g., Deco M4

What I really like about a) is that I would not need an additional power supply since they support PoE. To offer a wired connection, I would choose a model that offers a gigabit ethernet port to the client, so for option a) at least the EAP245. That will work just as well as a Wifi connection, right?

According to an answer in this thread, the EAP225 is technically superior to the Deco (transfer rate, coverage). The main advantage I see for the deco is the pricing: you roughly get 2 Deco M4 for the price of one EAP225, and you do not need the OC200. So, for a setup with 2 APs, it is roughly 100€ vs. 260€. Anything else for the Deco or the EAP?

By the way, mixing a) and b) is, unfortunately, not working according to the FAQ.

Thanks again!

Options
2021-06-15 15:58:50

@DocEW 

Hey

Sorry for slow reply, busy few days!

Hopefully be able to answer you query for you :)

What I really like about a) is that I would not need an additional power supply since they support PoE. To offer a wired connection, I would choose a model that offers a gigabit ethernet port to the client, so for option a) at least the EAP245. That will work just as well as a Wifi connection, right?

Yes it will indeed, just remember however that although its a 1GB port on the EAP245, any device connected to it will be also utilizing the 1GB uplink from switch to AP along with the Wireless traffic..   In short its going to be a busy link so don't expect the full 1GB speeds 24/7 to any connected device.

According to an answer in this thread, the EAP225 is technically superior to the Deco (transfer rate, coverage). The main advantage I see for the deco is the pricing: you roughly get 2 Deco M4 for the price of one EAP225, and you do not need the OC200. So, for a setup with 2 APs, it is roughly 100€ vs. 260€. Anything else for the Deco or the EAP?

The Deco as good devices and I do use them a lot for home use, however, they are HOME grade devices vs the Omada BUSINESS grade stuff.   The hardware on the Omada is more capable all round and will offer a better, more stable connection during peak times and if you have a lot of WiFi users.    However, it does come at a price premium!

The Deco is good in you can just buy added nodes for extra capacity and speed, its a very good system

If you are just after basic roaming for 15-20 devices then the Deco is a good option for you, but it does lack features.    If you want a fuller, more feature-rich experience go Omada but the $$ will be higher. 

By the way, mixing a) and b) is, unfortunately, not working according to the FAQ.

umm.. technically not true.  You can connect APs via Mesh but it does require the master AP to be wired in.  It does work OK for areas without cables!

Options
2021-06-21 21:11:53

Hey @Philbert,

thanks again for your profound answers!

Maybe one quick question on the necessary (PoE-)Switch. Does it need to be one from the Omada compatibility list to support the seamless roaming (with the help of the OC200, of course)?

Cheers,

DocEW

Options
2021-06-22 12:20:03

@DocEW 

Hey

No worries on the extra questions. 

Maybe one quick question on the necessary (PoE-)Switch. Does it need to be one from the Omada compatibility list to support the seamless roaming (with the help of the OC200, of course)?

In short, no it doesn't.    Technically you can use any POE switch (or injectors) to power the devices and seamless roaming will still work, the two are not related.

All you need for seamless roaming is a controller (oc200 for example) and the APs adopted onto it.   The rest of the network is irrelevant :)

It is nice however to have a SDN managed POE switch, keeps it all connected

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1247

Replies: 5

Related Articles