CPE710 VLANs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE710 VLANs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
CPE710 VLANs
CPE710 VLANs
2021-08-13 20:17:26 - last edited 2022-06-26 05:24:54
Model: CPE710  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.2.1 Build 20201208 Rel. 38063 (5553)

Setting up CPE710, have 2 CPE710. one running in AP mode and the other in Client mode. My use case is the following.

Need the 2 CPE701 to connect to each other (done and working).

Need to send multiple VLAN traffice over the wireless bridge. So both CPE's will be connected to switch ports (trunk mode with vlans 10,11,12 presented on both sides).

How do I setup the CPE's to send all the tagged vlan traffic across the bridge created between the two CPE710's (Do I need to setup a different mode on the CPE's?)

I tried to add different SSID on different VLAN's but that wont accomplish what I need, as I can only connect the client device to one SSID.

Thanks

Sarvjit

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:CPE710 VLANs-Solution
2021-08-23 01:25:31 - last edited 2021-11-05 01:15:38

Dear @sssp,

sssp wrote

Setting up CPE710, have 2 CPE710. one running in AP mode and the other in Client mode. My use case is the following.

Need to send multiple VLAN traffice over the wireless bridge. So both CPE's will be connected to switch ports (trunk mode with vlans 10,11,12 presented on both sides).

How do I setup the CPE's to send all the tagged vlan traffic across the bridge created between the two CPE710's (Do I need to setup a different mode on the CPE's?)

Please disable Multi-SSID on the CPE AP so that the CPE bridge can pass through VLAN tagged packets.

There are no special and additional settings needed on the Pharos CPE, just configure one as AP mode, the other as Client mode:

CPE AP: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/730/

CPE Client: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/727/

Setup topology:

Switch #1 (Tag VLANs)------- CPE AP )))((( CPE Client -------(Tag VLANs) Switch #2

Note:

The CPE wireless bridge can be taken as an Ethernet cable, please ensure the switch ports connecting to the two CPEs are tagged.

And ensure that both CPE710s are running with the latest firmware.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-04 02:22:55 - last edited 2021-11-05 01:16:03

Dear @shadowwild,

shadowwild wrote

@sssp I'll try assigning the port as access port for the EAP245.  I would like to expand SSID's in the future for other devices (IoT, Home equipment etc)

With Multi-SSID enabled, tagged VLAN won't be passed through.

Please ensure that you are NOT enabling the Multi-SSID on the CPE710 AP.

You can tag the management VLAN1 on the switch ports connected to the two CPE710s.

And enable management VLAN under Network -> Management VLAN Interface on both CPE710s. Bear in mind your laptop/pc will need to be on the same VLAN to access the admin interface of the CPE, as @sssp mentioned.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:CPE710 VLANs
2021-08-18 08:30:39

@sssp 

The latest firmware fixed the VLAN issue. But I think it doesn't support SSID VLANs. You can try to set only one SSID, and I think the CPE-AP will transfer the packets with VLAN tags.

Options
2021-08-23 01:25:31 - last edited 2021-11-05 01:15:38

Dear @sssp,

sssp wrote

Please disable Multi-SSID on the CPE AP so that the CPE bridge can pass through VLAN tagged packets.

There are no special and additional settings needed on the Pharos CPE, just configure one as AP mode, the other as Client mode:

CPE AP: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/730/

CPE Client: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/727/

Setup topology:

Switch #1 (Tag VLANs)------- CPE AP )))((( CPE Client -------(Tag VLANs) Switch #2

Note:

The CPE wireless bridge can be taken as an Ethernet cable, please ensure the switch ports connecting to the two CPEs are tagged.

And ensure that both CPE710s are running with the latest firmware.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-02 18:31:45

@Fae 

I'm having this same issue.

I'm trying to connect two locations with CPE710 both with switches.

the only thing they will pass is Untagged traffic from what I can tell.

I'm trying to pass tagged traffic over the CPE link to a switch with an EAP that is managed on an untagged LAN but the wifi SSID are tagged. I can't seem to get my devices to recognize the port has tagged frames.

If I Bypass the CPE's and connect to my primary switch they work just fine. I'm at a loss and have tried different variations with no luck.

Options
2021-11-02 19:22:09

@shadowwild  How are your switch ports configured (the ones connected to the CPE's). Are they configured as Trunk Ports or Access Ports? If they are configured as Trunk Ports then the WIFI AP's should be passing the VLAN tagged traffic (assuming your AP's are setup up to Tag Traffic/VLAN). Then the AP connected to the CPE (tagged traffic) should pass through to the other side as tagged (without any special configuration on the CPE, at least I think thats what I did).

For the CPE Management traffic I cant remember if there is a configuration to tag that traffic as well, if not, you could setup a native vlan (untagged) on your switch ports (typically VLAN 1 but can be changed) to handle that untagged CPE management traffic.

So to summarize setup your switch ports connected to the CPE' for Native VLAN x and as Trunk Ports.

Thanks

Sarvjit

Options
2021-11-02 22:34:07

@sssp  Thanks for the Quick reply.

I figured this is what I did.

CPE A (Accesspoint connects to Switch on Trunk (tagged VLAN)

This sends the connection over to CPE B which is  connected to a switch port as the trunk (Tagged VLAN)

I created another port as Trunk (Tagged) for the EAP245 and from my omada controller set 1 SSID as tagged VLAN 40

for one reason or another devices that connect to this EAP aren't pulling IP addresses. 

to make sure I took the switch from the remote site and plugged it into the CPE's trunk port at my location and took the same EAP245 and it worked beautifully.

All Management for my CPE's & EAP's is done on the untagged Default LAN which is indeed 1.

Something is off I just can't find it. Seems to only work when CPE's are bypassed.

Options
2021-11-02 22:53:27

@shadowwild Is this how its setup, trying to visualize

EAP245 <===>switch <===> CPE710 <=====> CPE710 <====> switch <=====> Omada Controller

Can you make sure VLAN 40 is allowed across all Trunk Ports....Also if there is another device (besides the Omada Controller) handing out DHCP, you may need to setup IP Helper on the Contoller.

Thanks

Options
2021-11-02 23:00:07

@sssp Try it like this

EAP245 <===> (access port vlan 40) <====>switch (trunk port vlan 40 allowed, native vlan 1) <===> CPE710 <=====> CPE710 <====> (trunk port vlan 40 allowed, native vlan 1) switch <=====> (Trunk port vlan 40, and others as needed allowed, native vlan 1) <=====> Omada Controller

If you are going to have multiple SSID on the EAP245 on different VLAN's that above wont work but as a test to see if this one SSID on VLAN 40 works.

Thanks

Options
2021-11-02 23:09:15

@shadowwild Try one more thing -- Change the MGMT VLAN of the CPE (both CPEs) to tagged. I think you can do that on the Network Menu if I remember right. Once you do that see if your current configuration starts working. Bear in mind your laptop/pc will need to be on the same VLAN to access the admin interface of the CPE.

Also, make sure you downloaded and applied the latest version of the firmware for the CPE 710.

Thanks

Sarvjit

Options
2021-11-03 14:36:47

@sssp I'll try assigning the port as access port for the EAP245.  I would like to expand SSID's in the future for other devices (IoT, Home equipment etc)

here's a rough map of how I have it configured.

Options
2021-11-04 02:22:55 - last edited 2021-11-05 01:16:03

Dear @shadowwild,

shadowwild wrote

With Multi-SSID enabled, tagged VLAN won't be passed through.

Please ensure that you are NOT enabling the Multi-SSID on the CPE710 AP.

You can tag the management VLAN1 on the switch ports connected to the two CPE710s.

And enable management VLAN under Network -> Management VLAN Interface on both CPE710s. Bear in mind your laptop/pc will need to be on the same VLAN to access the admin interface of the CPE, as @sssp mentioned.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4824

Replies: 11

Related Articles