Omada controller 5 for Linux

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada controller 5 for Linux

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:Omada controller 5 for Linux
2021-12-03 21:04:07
Looks like a bigger problem. This explains why the Linux version is still unreleased ;-)
Options
2021-12-23 10:38:10

@nixcamic I can vividly imagine how the support agent walks over to R&D and says "Hi guys, I received this hint from a customer who says that we haven't published a linux version of the new controller yet" and the developers go "Oh damn, we must have forgotten that somehow. Thanks for letting us know."

Options
2021-12-30 05:40:14 - last edited 2021-12-30 05:45:45

@toffee Oh I know they know, I didn't mean to remind them, I just thought it would just be nice if they like, communicated with their users and customers about what was going on??? You can either be punctual and predictable like Cisco or other huge companies, or you can be communicative like Ubiquiti but TpLink seems to be going for the "neither-nor" approach, maybe if I wasnt having other issues with them I wouldn't be bothered by this but ever since switching to Omada I've just hit issue after issue and tp-link has been non-communicative about everything. I'm about ready to switch back to Unifi.

On another subject I noticed v5 Windows version has been taken down also so who knows

Options
2021-12-31 10:58:24

@nixcamic Yea, I didn't mean to criticise what you said. I was just being a bit sarcastic about a certain kind of support communication (the kind that can aptly be described as bull#*#*).

I have moved from Unifi to Omada less than a year ago and have no major regrets so far (I didn't expect Omada to be perfect, but at least they are taking their firmware updates more seriously). I'd rather wait for an update than spend hours fixing my system after a premature update. The only negative surprise with Omada for me has been that mDNS is not supported. But I suppose that will eventually come too. 

Options
2022-01-03 16:49:29 - last edited 2022-01-03 16:50:06

I would say Ubiquiti is another level than TP-Link but is also much more expensive. I use both, TP-Link at my home network with about 30 wireless clients and 20 wired clients. At work we have about 60 wireless clients with 10 Ubiquiti access points. For home usage TP-Link is more than enough but for professional use they need some major improvements. I also hope that version 5 will be released soon. Not sure why windows version has been released first? I would have expected linux version will be first. I'm quite new here, so let me ask one question. Is there also a bug tracking system besides this forum or should bugs be filed here?

Options
2022-01-05 11:33:22

@S-K My guess is that the windows version is their test ground before they release the "real" version, i.e. Linux, which also runs on their hardware controller. 

As for Unify: I'm not sure Ubiquiti's handling of their major data breach last year was professional. Neither is their policy of forcing users to setup a unify cloud account to be able to install their products. Neither is their fast and rather random release cycle with half-baked releases that need emergency fixing shortly after. 

I'd agree that in terms of the features they are trying to offer, they are trying to be more professional. Not sure if that makes them more professional. 

Options
2022-01-08 23:42:35

Well it seems like v5 has finally dropped for Linux and the updated version for Windows also.

@toffee 

I mean that may well be the case but would it kill them to just communicate that with us? Also, I haven't used any of their Wifi6 stuff but I never had to link my account to use any of their AC line or earlier.

Options
2022-01-11 19:47:15

@nixcamic  Thanks for the info. 

As for ubiquiti's cloud requirement: I believe they introduced it about a year ago. Ironically just a few weeks before the data breach of their cloud servers. But I'm no longer following the unifi stuff, so maybe they have changed it again. 

Options
2022-01-17 16:52:11

toffee wrote

As for Unify: I'm not sure Ubiquiti's handling of their major data breach last year was professional. Neither is their policy of forcing users to setup a unify cloud account to be able to install their products. Neither is their fast and rather random release cycle with half-baked releases that need emergency fixing shortly after. 

@toffee I agree ;-)

Options
Related Articles