EAP225-Outdoor - only getting 5-10m range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-13 19:52:36
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I've just spent a few hours with TP-Link support trying to solve a range problem with a new EAP225-Outdoor access point. 

The distance between the point (currently behind a wooden wall in the picture below marked with the arrow) and where I want the signal is about 25m so well within the advertised 100m.  I want to link some wireless CCTV cameras to the access point.

I have used a 25m CAT8 cable:

(details are - Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 25m, HiiPeak Cat8 Internet Cable High-Speed Professional LAN Patch 40Gbps 2000Mhz Network Cables with RJ45 Gold-Plated Connector, Compatible with Cat5/Cat6/Cat7, Black (25 m)
by HiiPeak EU
Learn more: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08X719K63/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_3F2PABTM1A8D7P8N8DSH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

which is backwards compatable with CAT5e - to go from the PoE adaptor to the unit.  I have tried other cables and they have no effect on range.

I have a 1m Cat5 cable going from the PoE adaptor directly to the BT Fibre router. 

I have checked channels, and the power being used in the Omada controller currently running on a Windows PC (by the way does this have to be on all the time for the access point to work ?).  I've also tried turning off the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz respectively to see if this alters the range.

I understand that the outdoor version is omindirectional,  but just in case I have it stood up vertically with the antenna in a Y pattern.

I am getting no more than 10m radius of signal from the access point.  When I am within 10m I get a good connection speed, so this is all about range.

Does anyone have any ideas to try ?  I'm keen to get this working as I run a campsite and am thinking about more of these devices to bring WIFI to some public areas.

Thanks if anyone can help with some further ideas.

Rgds

Richard.

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP225-Outdoor - only getting 5-10m range
2022-01-14 08:40:05

Dear @Treveague ,

Treveague wrote

I have a 1m Cat5 cable going from the PoE adaptor directly to the BT Fibre router. 

I have checked channels, and the power being used in the Omada controller currently running on a Windows PC (by the way does this have to be on all the time for the access point to work ?).  I've also tried turning off the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz respectively to see if this alters the range.

I understand that the outdoor version is omindirectional,  but just in case I have it stood up vertically with the antenna in a Y pattern.

I am getting no more than 10m radius of signal from the access point.  When I am within 10m I get a good connection speed, so this is all about range.

Does anyone have any ideas to try ?  I'm keen to get this working as I run a campsite and am thinking about more of these devices to bring WIFI to some public areas.

The EAP225-Outdoor could be installed at a high level in the picture you provided, but the client is at a low level, we suggest you adjust the angle of the antenna again, you can try it horizontally as a T pattern.

In addition, the front of the EAP225-Outdoor has a stronger signal, we recommend use the EAP's front panel to face the client.

As for the controller, if you are not using functions like Mesh, Fast Roaming, etc., you do not need to run it constantly.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:EAP225-Outdoor - only getting 5-10m range
2022-01-14 16:33:00

@Hank21 So I tried these and it didnt really make much difference.

However - I have now reset the device completely,  connected to the default wifi after the reset and only changed the SSID name and added a password.  In other words I have not got a controller in the setup.  I think this has improved the range somewhat.  It is still not perfect.

Could this have caused the problem ?

I guess I could always add the controller back in and see if the range goes.

Rgds Richard

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1122

Replies: 2