ER605 v2, the first SMB router that supports 4G/3G USB Modem function.

ER605 v2, the first SMB router that supports 4G/3G USB Modem function.

19 Reply
Re:ER605 v2, the first SMB router that supports USB MiFi function.
2022-08-31 22:47:03 - last edited 2022-08-31 22:50:32

@Fae 

Suggestions:

• Include Release Notes with firmware updates, in both the web content and FW Zip Package.  I have now found V1 release notes in the Forum under "Firmware Release", but this is NOT intuitive
  • Display installed Firmware version on footer of all GUI pages
  • Add silicon information to data sheets (inquiring minds want to know)
  • Clarify what functionalities are available without and with a controller (2 column list)

Question:

• Can the USB be used for data including backup of device config?
  • Are the V2.0 and 2.6 the same other than location of MFG (like posts I have seen on 1.0 and 1.6)?
  • What is the processor in this device (see above)?
  • When may we be able to push browser traffic through the VPN?
  • Regarding OpenVPN, what is the encrytion and is this HW or SW/
Options
Re:ER605 v2.6 supports inseego 5G MiFi M2000 USB Hotspot
2023-01-22 17:37:46 - last edited 2023-01-22 17:45:46

@Fae 

I looked on the USB modem compatibility site and saw only 1 inseego modem supported (USB800) but not the one I am using. I have an inseego 5G MiFi M2000 purchased from Calyx Institute and using T-Mobile service as an internet service provider and this setup works very well. I also have T-Mobile 5G Home Internet using their Arcadyan KV021 modem connected to the WAN Ethernet port as primary. The inseego is connected to the USB port as backup. Running a speed test from the OC200 controller interface tests and reports the speed of both the WAN and USB modem with one click.

The ER605 is a good, inexpensive firewall/router. I wish it had better detailed logs. I'd like to see source and destination IP addresses in the logs like other firewalls I've used (i.e., Palo Alto, SonicWall, Fortinet and NetScreen).

Options
Re:ER605 v2.6 supports inseego 5G MiFi M2000 USB Hotspot
2023-02-12 00:17:00

@JeffPentz 

After a firmware update early February 2023 to my inseego M2000 MiFi Hotspot using T-Mobile 5G, the TP-Link ER605 router/firewall was not able to connect the device to the Internet. I turned the M2000 off then on, then reset the M2000 to factory. When the OC200 controller continued to report the M2000 as "off line", I wondered if the problem wasn't with the M2000, but the ER605, or other TP-Link gear. I tested the M2000 connected via USB to my Dell Win 11 laptop; which worked. I then powered off then on, the TP-Link ER605 (router/firewall), TP-Link 8 port PoE SDN switch and OC200 controller. Tthe router then determined the M2000 was connected to the Internet and available as a WAN connection.

Options
Re:ER605 v2, the first SMB router that supports 4G/3G USB Modem function.
2023-11-22 13:01:22

@Fae I have tried to adopt the ER605 in my Omada environment. But everytime I do, the 4g connection that I use for the primairy connection gets lost. COuld it be possible that the USB driver / 4g connection isn't supported (yet) in the Omada environment? When I reset the router and disconnect it as known device in Omada, the 4g connection is back again. 

Options
2023-11-23 01:03:09

Hi @GvB 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

GvB wrote

@Fae I have tried to adopt the ER605 in my Omada environment. But everytime I do, the 4g connection that I use for the primairy connection gets lost. COuld it be possible that the USB driver / 4g connection isn't supported (yet) in the Omada environment? When I reset the router and disconnect it as known device in Omada, the 4g connection is back again. 

Did you know that adopting a device to the Omada Controller would reset the device?

If it is reset, all configs are lost which will make you lose Internet.

But, it does not affect your Omada Controller adoption. Just configure again the router on the controller.

If you are new to the controller, please watch videos and guides from the place where you download the software. Download for Omada Software Controller V5

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Friday

Hi  @Fae ,

It looks like the feature gap between v1 and v2 has grown since this article was published (e.g. Wireguard).

Is there a full comparison somewhere else or can this post be updated?

Options
Monday

Hi @EricPerl 

EricPerl wrote

Hi  @Fae ,

It looks like the feature gap between v1 and v2 has grown since this article was published (e.g. Wireguard).

Is there a full comparison somewhere else or can this post be updated?

No. This is a new arrival for the product when it first shows up in the product line. It aimed to explain the product instead of updating what's been updated to the product. This is what the new arrival articles do. It does not get the update after the 10 firmware updates happened to the ER605 V2.

Second, Wireguard was not considered back in that time. Many new features are not considered at that time point. We are still adding more features to the product and this is our ambition.

If you would like to view the whole roadmap of the product, I'd recommend you review the release notes or the product specs. It is more straightforward.

Product comparison has been listed in the router product line.

For the different hardware versions, go to the product page open two different tabs, and compare them.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Monday

Hi  @Clive_A ,

I'll note that the product comparison feature (which I'm familiar with) does not seem to allow a v1 versus v2 comparison.

It may not matter anyway because the specs for the v2 don't mention wireguard either, so who knows what else is missing. I guess I don't need to upgrade.

You don't need to reply. I'm only saying this as a prospective customer (that's probably not going to dig through FW changelogs to figure out the entire feature set).

Options
Yesterday

Hi @EricPerl 

EricPerl wrote

Hi  @Clive_A ,

I'll note that the product comparison feature (which I'm familiar with) does not seem to allow a v1 versus v2 comparison.

It may not matter anyway because the specs for the v2 don't mention wireguard either, so who knows what else is missing. I guess I don't need to upgrade.

You don't need to reply. I'm only saying this as a prospective customer (that's probably not going to dig through FW changelogs to figure out the entire feature set).

OK. Thanks for the feedback and I have sent it to the feedback team.

If you do need a comparison while the system does not support it yet, you can contact technical support for help.

Specify the things you look forward to. Our rep will let you know. I think this can be done on the phone call which you can ask a lot of questions about the product. I used to answer a lot of calls like this.

Just a reminder, FYI, V1 has stopped its firmware support. Recent firmware upgrades will be limited to the bug fixes only. If the model is defective/malfunctioning, you can contact the support for help and get replaced. You might get a V2 as the replacement if the V1 is out of stock.

Options