Unstable Internet Connection with VPN Client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unstable Internet Connection with VPN Client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
43 Reply
Re:Unstable Internet Connection with VPN Client
2022-02-15 11:27:10 - last edited 2022-02-15 11:30:23

1) This problem occurs for every firmware 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and SDN v4 and v5 2) I have one L2TP VPN to the company and 2 PPTP to the remote sites. Both PPTP are barely used. This behaviour does occur to all of them. More VPN active more chance to occuring of the problem. I think that @shberge found the reason of problem - connection drop if VPN is reconnected - so more VPN, more reconnections. 3) VPN traffic was very low and it does not matter (same results with/without VPN traffic). Problem is also when I am copying through VPN some large files which takes more than hour. This also results in interruption of the file transfer. From my point of view is VPN really unstable. This does not occur if I am connected to VPN directly through computer (Windows 10 VPN manager).

Options
2022-02-15 16:24:28 - last edited 2022-02-15 16:38:59

@Libik 

I'm not sure if it can help you but I have using a ping tool on linux, where using fping,

it can read a file with ip addresses and ping reguary remote site,

this has helped me a lot, ping to remote lan keeps the vpn tunnel open and does not go down due to inactivity.

then I use crontab to start fping. you start crontab with this command

crontab -e

then put in this line. (edit if you use anoter path or ping file)

@reboot sleep 10 && sudo fping -f /home/ubuntu/ping_hosts.txt -l -p 100000

then restart your liux server

this checks all remote site regualry and keeps the VPN tunnel open.

you need to create a file that you put the ip addresses on the remote site like this, I have named this file name like this ping_hosts.txt one ip then new line

I have hudreds of VPN tunnels but Tp-link is the only one that ned this bad workaround to work, this is not 100% but muhc better .

More information about this tool

https://ostechnix.com/ping-multiple-hosts-linux/

Options
2022-02-18 04:54:48

Dear @Libik,

The issue you are experiencing sounds unusual, I'd like to escalate your case to the TP-Link support team for further investigation.

They will reach you via your registered email address shortly, please pay attention to your email box later.

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, I'd encourage you to share it with the community.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and patience!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-02-21 08:02:26 - last edited 2022-02-21 16:29:46

Hello, ping wirh crontab does not help me. every 55 minutes L2TP VPN reconnects and this leads to interruption of internet connection. I have also tried to copy file from remote site using VPN and L2TP was also reconnected after 55 minutes. PPTP does not suffer from this. If I am connected to the same VPN using Windows 10 VPN client no reconnection.

Options
2022-03-12 12:11:45

@Libik 

Do you have a solution to your problem or has Tp-Link ignored you as well? it does not seem that they are interested in solving VPN problems on what they call VPN router.

Options
2022-03-14 13:55:21
After several emails (most of them pointless) I recieved final answer, that they will report the issue to their R&D.
Options
2022-03-14 14:16:46

@Libik 

Ok, you have at last progres smiley I have about 50-100 mail with support over 3 month and they steel not understand so I have for now giving up, if they cant find all this serios bugs they problably dont want to find it or have a serious test lab isue.

they have many more vpn bugs that I have not even bothered to mention so I hope they can find these on their own one time in the future.

Options
2022-03-18 08:48:07
The question is if they change something and fix at least this bug. Till now I have no more answers. If I will recieve any new info I will share here.
Options
2022-03-18 08:48:10
The question is if they change something and fix at least this bug. Till now I have no more answers. If I will recieve any new info I will share here.
Options
2022-03-24 08:23:00

I have just upgrade my Linux Controller to version V5.1.7 with the same bad behaviour:-(.

@shberge

Does standalone mode behave the same or it is working as expected?

Options
Related Articles