ER605 ER7206 - “Use Fixed IP Address” (DHCP Reservation) Doesn't Take Effect

Re:ER605 ER7206 - “Use Fixed IP Address” (DHCP Reservation) Doesn't Take Effect
2022-04-06 21:56:18

@Fae 

solved it for the cameras (vlan2) but did NOT solve it for the Unraid server (vlan3), it always gets dynamic IP what ever I set. 

Options
2022-04-07 04:05:06

Dear @DontAskMe,

DontAskMe wrote

solved it for the cameras (vlan2) but did NOT solve it for the Unraid server (vlan3), it always gets dynamic IP what ever I set. 

Thank you for your valued feedback! Could you please add more details about the issue that the Unraid server always gets dynamic IP? I'll follow up with your case in this post.

Get Started Here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/551684 https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/552406
Options
2022-04-11 14:04:16 - last edited 2022-04-12 23:24:14

@Fae I am experiencing issue which I never had before. er605 was configured for 4 wan's, everything seemed to work. Then I disconnected second and third wan to see if there are any issues if one connects/disconnects without reboot. So far everything worked. Then I disconnected fourth wan, that worked too with only main wan connected, no issues with loadbalancer, everything worked. After that, I connected 4g lte router which was never connected (huawei b618s), meaning only wan and first lan/wan port were connected. That is where I got issue which is not explainable. All devices which connect do have connection, on er605 those two show as connected. Wireless connected devices work without issues, wired devices work without issues. But my notebook from which I configured everything says that it can not resolve DNS, resulting in not working internet. 

So far, I though, this might be some DNS issues which I oversaw or configuration error, however, everything is correct and on all devices internet works. I've tried then setting cloudflares DNS for WAN's in advanced settings, this again works on all devices, but not on the notebook, neither wired nor wireless. Then I used ISP's DNS, resulting in same. As last, I've set all wan's and lan to use cloudflare and again, all devices work just not the notebook.

Notebook has no special settings, it gets the ip and dns over dhcp. OS is ubuntu 22.10. To exclude any possible config issue on a notebook, I've started live from usb, the issue persisted, no internet.

The only what works on that notebook is pinging dns ip's, but dns resolution does not work. From all IP's, only those which one sets as DNS are reachable.

This is first time in my life to experience the issue and there was nothing more which can be checked, driving me mad. Then I downgraded everything to latest no beta (omada and router firmware), suddenly internet worked on that notebook. Then I updated both to latest beta again, here it worked too, then I reproduced same steps with connecting/disconnecting wan's and bang, I've run into same issue. I have for now no clue what is wrong, but for some reason device from which I configure  network can't resolve DNS, and it is only that one device. To be sure, I reverted again and reproduced the issue.

@fae I am only today on this location (it is 600km away from my home) and if you have any suggestions or some new beta which I could test, then I could do it only today. It is not really critical, the company where it runs is ok with it as long as all other devices work, but they feel very uncomfortable running beta's. I have no remote access to the company, I will get it, but probably it will take few days, however, I do not feel comfortable to upgrade and downgrade omada and er605 over remote, as if anything goes wrong, company will be cut off the internet. Could you try to reproduce steps above?

EDIT: for some reason, steps above messed up dns configuration, I've fixed it by resetting router and setting up new omada controller. Reproducing steps above resulted yesterday in no error.

Options
2022-04-13 02:11:08

Dear @btx,

btx wrote

@fae I am only today on this location (it is 600km away from my home) and if you have any suggestions or some new beta which I could test, then I could do it only today. It is not really critical, the company where it runs is ok with it as long as all other devices work, but they feel very uncomfortable running beta's. I have no remote access to the company, I will get it, but probably it will take few days, however, I do not feel comfortable to upgrade and downgrade omada and er605 over remote, as if anything goes wrong, company will be cut off the internet. Could you try to reproduce steps above?

EDIT: for some reason, steps above messed up dns configuration, I've fixed it by resetting router and setting up new omada controller. Reproducing steps above resulted yesterday in no error.

Sorry for my delayed response. Beta firmware is mainly used to fix a certain issue quickly, I'm afraid that I don't have other new beta for the issue you described above.

And thank you for your kind update on the case, glad to hear that you've fixed it finally. It's suggested to save the current backup config file in case you have to restore the configuration in the future. If there is anything new came up, welcome to let us know.

Get Started Here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/551684 https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/552406
Options
2022-04-27 20:55:51 - last edited 2022-04-27 20:59:36

@Fae you are welcome. I just wrote about issues into which I ran into, it does not always need to be some issue with the firmware if the default process breaks (like requirement for resetting to factory defaults, after upgrade, otherwise one needs to reboot for second time and reissue with dhcp new leases). I guess knowing it is more part of FAQ for this specific firmware. In many cases devs write not only changes since last version, but also faq/notes about that specific build (if there are any). If somebody else reports same issue like I, then you already can make this note for a faq for next release notes.

EDIT: if devs write such notes and warnings, then autoupgrade process in omada should warn user about it and wait with processing until user confirms it (by clicking yes button or something), ensuring that one has read the warning and that auto upgrade does not break. I do not imply my issue here, but I do current stable release which is autoupdated to all routers despite that you already know about the bug (I at least conclude it since there is already beta with a fix). In some way it is not responsible for company of a size like tp-link, however, mistakes happen, especially in development and deployment process.

Options
2022-04-27 21:47:45

From this thread for me it's not clear if this bug has caused only the IP reservation not taking effect or the router itself becoming unaccessable after the firmware update to v1.2.0 official firmware? ...as it happened in my case.

Options
2022-04-27 22:11:28

@Arion 

Arion wrote

From this thread for me it's not clear if this bug has caused only the IP reservation not taking effect or the router itself becoming unaccessable after the firmware update to v1.2.0 official firmware? ...as it happened in my case.

Bug which is fixed is pretty well explained, but it is not really explained what exactly caused it, also not what exactly was fixed. I am not aware of the issue "unaccessable" and in which combination (oc controller or omada on non tp-link device) etc.. but dhcp reservation works and described bug is fixed. I upgraded from latest stable, first time I oversaw that in omada one can flash manually, I reseted the router to factory settings and upgraded via standalone mode. After first reboot, clients still had wrong addresses due to the fact they were leased by standalone mode. Next device I flashed over omada controller software 5.0.30, there were no issues at all. Next with 5.1.7 if I remember well which also worked without any issues and last with latest omada beta, also no issues. All those test were done on different devices in different networks, but in all cases SoC boards (rockpi4, rpi4 and rpi3) were used for omada controller software. I did not test OC2xx/OC3xx from tp-link but assume there should be no issues.

Options
Re:ER605 ER7206 - “Use Fixed IP Address” (DHCP Reservation) Doesn't Take Effect-Solution
2022-04-28 02:40:41 - last edited 2 weeks ago

Dear @Arion,

Arion wrote

Your case is a different issue, it has nothing to do with the DHCP reservation issue described here. I'll give more details in your previous post (link).

Back to this solution post, I'd like to add that the main cause of the issue is related to the way how the wireless clients handle the ICMP request from the DHCP server. The Beta firmware only did a modification to adapt to the behavior of those wireless clients.

In addition, you may notice the start of this thread saying that this article applies to ER605 / ER7206 1.2.0 and earlier firmware. Also, it only describes the issue of the DHCP reservation, whose phenomenon is that clients consistently gets a different address after restart. Basically, if the issue you have only exists on a specific firmware, or it doesn't match the Issue Description/Phenomenon given in this thread, then it's probably that this solution post is not for your case.

Thank you for your attention!

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-05-08 01:52:08

@Fae Any idea when the non beta version will come out for this?

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hi there,

Here is an update on the DHCP Reservation issue, please have a check. Thank you for your attention!

Updated on July 27, 2022:

With the release of the 1.2.1 firmware, we received some feedback that the DHCP Reservation stops taking effect after upgrading to the 1.2.1 firmware, while reverting to 1.2.0 firmware doesn't have the issue.

For example, you've reserved a fixed IP 192.168.0.150 for some clients (including IOT clients, PC, Printer, etc.), most of them would obtain the reserved IP addresses, but some of them wouldn't. The impacted clients may obtain the reserved IP addresses after several reboots on the clients and the router, but after running for some time, the problem occurs again.

After further troubleshooting and investigation with our community members @PapyPom, @Riverfront, @Skeidinho, (thank you all so much for your great cooperation!), the R&D team has finally addressed the issue.

The following Beta firmware can fix the DHCP Reservation issue on both 1.2.0 (or 2.0.1) and 1.2.1 firmware, and the subsequent official firmware will add the fix soon. As a temporary solution, you may install the Beta firmware below to fix the issue, (the beta firmware for ER7206 v1 and ER605 v2 will be provided gradually, please wait patiently).

ER605_v1_1.2.1_Build 20220726 (Beta)

ER7206_v1: (to be updated soon)

ER605_v2: (to be updated soon)

Note: Please be sure you have read the Beta Test Agreement before proceeding!

Thank you all for your huge support and patience!

Options