Solcon IPTV and Omada

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Solcon IPTV and Omada

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
12 Reply
Re:Solcon IPTV and Omada
2022-06-06 09:40:48 - last edited 2022-06-06 09:51:47

@Fae 

Hi Fae

Thank you for your reply. I know Draytek supports it with several models in there Vigor lineup. I am not allowed to add an external link, but if you search the web for 'Draytek routed IPTV' you will find a manual Routed-IPTV-3.0.pdf on draytek-dot-nl describing how to configure routed IP-tv on pages 5-7. I could not find an English version of it.

To clarify my previous post: the vlans on the wan-side used by the ISP, are not being used 1:1 on the LAN side, that is what makes it routed IPTV. So the set-top-boxes are part of the LAN and get an IP-address from the local router. Because of the DHCP Client Option 60 (and option 55) configuration on the WAN port, this will work.

I hope this is something you can work with. I know a lot of people are looking forward to this functionality. If you get this right, it will give you an edge over other manufacturers e.g. the Unifi controller which also only supports bridged IPTV.

I know I am not the fastest in answering your questions. I'm sorry for that, but I will try to answer them if you have any on this subject.

Options
Re:Solcon IPTV and Omada
2022-06-06 11:26:16

Completely missed the question for makes and models that do support this. For example Ubiquiti Edgerouter and Ubiquiti USG do support this, also all of the Fritzboxes by AVM (but this is more a one-in-all solution with a different target group). TP-Link does support this as well with the Deco-series which I've heard good stories about customers getting it working with Routed IPTV on a KPN-connection which also requires DHCP Option 60 on WAN. Also Draytek as mentioned before. More brands: Sonicwall, Microtik and a lot more brands do support the things we are asking for, the only thing that is keeping me from going to a Unifi-setup is the costs and effort of switchting out equipment.

If IPTV would be better and working I would be recommending TP Link Omada to a lot more people who wish to work with their own equipment instead of using ISP equipment, and I'm a mechanic for one of the largest ISP's in the Netherlands.

The DHCP Option 60 wouldn't only be needed for Routed IPTV, as mentioned here before some ISP's require it to get an IP at all using it just for internet.

Options
Related Articles