Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

2022-04-02 23:09:06 - last edited 2023-02-01 04:16:23
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1

Please add a local DNS server, like dnsmasq, to the ER605.  It's a bug for a business router that's running DHCP to not be able to resolve local host names.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605-Solution
2023-06-15 03:01:39 - last edited 2023-06-15 03:01:42

Hello @ChrisEvans, @jd001 and other community members,

Thank you for your feedback and inquiry. I understand that you are eager to know more about the feature request of the local DNS server mentioned in this thread. At this time, we do not have specific information on when the feature will be released or which router model will add the feature of local DNS server finally. 

But please rest assured that our development team is working diligently to provide the best possible updates for our customers. Every feature request is taken into consideration, and we appreciate your patience as we work to prioritize and implement them.

This post will be updated as soon as the feature becomes available. In the meantime, if you require to support the local DNS server feature urgently, we recommend exploring alternative solutions that may meet your needs.

Once again, we appreciate your support and feedback on our product, and we will continue to strive towards meeting our customers' expectations.

*Please kindly note that the information provided here is based on the current information we have, it is provided for informational purposes only, not a guarantee or a promise. Any plans are subject to change, the final firmware releases shall prevail.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605-Solution
2024-01-12 02:46:52 - last edited 2024-01-12 02:47:20

Hi everyone,

Fae wrote

Dear @hammer86 and other community members,

Thank you so much for your valuable and continued feedback!

This feature request about adding the local DNS server to Omada Router has already been submitted to the developer team for evaluation, it's planned to add the support in the future firmware updates*. I haven't be informed whether both ER605 v1 and v2 will add the support, will try and provide an update for you once I get more information.

*All of our releases are subject to advancement or postponementthe final release date shall prevail. The above information is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an indication to make any purchase decisions.

V5.15 will be the ETA version to have this feature.

When this feature is available in the controller, it requires compatible firmware. In case of any delays, we appreciate your patience. Please note, ETA is an estimated timeline, not a specific release date.

The availability of this feature across models depends on their hardware specifications. Currently, a list of supported models is not available, and we cannot assure that all models will be compatible. Stay updated with firmware releases by checking our official website or opting for the beta version.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
315 Reply
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605
2022-04-06 11:43:48

@hammer86 

Fully agree, I posted this longer question on the same subject:

---------------------------

Hello TP-Link people,

I am interested if you have any plans to implement DNS server (not only forwarding resolver) in the Omada platform, probably in the gateways ?

The gateways already can function as DHCP server - so it would be logical that they could also support having a local DNS zone inside, for the LAN, with both static (configured) A/AAA records and also with possibility to register local clients in the local DNS zone.

It would be enough just to run some open source DNS service that supports locally administered zones, not only DNS forwarder/resolver like it is now.

At present Small/Medium Business users need to deploy a standalone DNS server/appliance, but it would be natural if the Omada Gateway could play that role.

Can you comment this please ?

With my kind regards,

K.B.

Options
2022-06-01 13:35:39

@hammer86 

Hello,

I would also really appreciate it, if there was finally a local dns server.

As you can see in the Comment of Fae (https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/546202 post #3), local dns is submitted as feature request (in backlog).

I hope tp-link recognizes the importance of such a basic feature, so that priority for this will be increased.

I also don't want to separatly manage additional non-omada hardware from third-party-vendor for the sole purpose of local name resolution.
(I am currently using an Ubiquitx ER-x for this. For local-dns in ER-X you have to use its own dhcp. So not even the dhcp of the R-605 can be used)

Greatings

Options
2022-08-03 08:08:41

@hammer86 

Totally agree. Who produces a DHCP without a local DNS. It makes a joke of hostname on the local network. They imply to make them all static but that makes life worse when the addresses change. Come on it can't be hard to add a good DNS server to the ER605, pi-hole have done it so can you tp-link.

Options
2022-08-31 11:55:51

I'd like to reinforce that this is a feature supported by most home routers and it's very strange that is absent from a business solution. Please add this.

Options
2022-09-05 11:24:36

@hammer86 +1

Options
2022-09-08 18:57:44

@hammer86   Alternatively a local DNS server/forwarder could be im-plemented in the Omada Controller, that might require to have an OC200 or OC300 local to the site but that woulkd be fine. ER605 might not have enough resources and it has a more limited software platform (BusyBox) vs. Linux for the OC200/300.

Options
2022-09-08 21:03:04 - last edited 2022-09-16 11:04:36

@Smok Any 20$ router will have a builtin local resolver, let alone an enterprise level 60$ solution router.

Options
2022-09-14 11:25:39 - last edited 2022-09-14 11:35:48

@hammer86 I tried adding a local DNS server using Windows 2022 DataCenter edition but it does not seem resolve for some reason. I had to add the DNS to my local DNS server manually... I guess i am not the only one with the same issue...

Options
2022-09-15 20:52:22

@cdx969696 I ended up running dnsmasq on my Ubuntu server, using it just for the DNS.  This is unsavory because I have to duplicate the DHCP static adresses that are configured on the router.  I will eventually switch to use the DHCP functionality of dnsmasq.

This issue, along with the broken Dynamic DNS functionality make the ER605 worthless to me.  What an embarrassment for TP-Link.  I will surely be replacing it in the near future.

Options
2022-09-15 20:56:49

@cdx969696 Did you set the "Primary DNS" field of your DHCP server to point to your local DNS server?

Options

Information

Helpful: 215

Views: 63151

Replies: 316

Voters 202

+ 198 Voters