How to use Omada controller to track Mac address of passing devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-03 18:11:40

Im a home gamer with a few access points hooked up to a hardware Omada controller.

We've been having crime in the neighborhood and I see shady looking people passing on the security cameras.  It occurred to me that if Starbucks tracks my comings and goings from their locations by way of my phone announcing its presence to every access point it sees, I should be able to see "who" is passing my access points on their bike at 2:00 AM.

So I see in the menues its easy to see logs of known devices that connected, their data use etc...

Can I use the controller to see logs of the devices that are unknown and which just passed through scanning for WAPs?   Im thinking mac addresses

Seems like the device should be able to do this.   But is that exposed in any menu?

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:How to use Omada controller to track Mac address of passing devices
2022-04-04 09:13:55

@TomIsLate 

No. You won't be able to scan for other devices for their MAC addresses unless your WiFi's open to everyone.

Here's the thing, yes, Omada controller can record the MAC address of the connected devices. When they join the network, MAC will be listed in the log. 

Do you have open WiFi? If not, it's not possible to do what you want. Starbuck knows you are here because their WiFi names are the same and it's open. Every time you go there, your cell will automatically join the WiFi and they know about your device's MAC.

But, never mind, if you use iPhone, since the iOS 14 or 15, you have a private MAC address that protects the true MAC of your devices. You'll never leak the true MAC thanks to Apple. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 927

Replies: 1