Should I use the same SSID for my 2.4 and 5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Should I use the same SSID for my 2.4 and 5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
12 Reply
Re:Should I use the same SSID for my 2.4 and 5?
2022-06-08 00:05:36

@ingeborgdot 

I agree with your app, only Ch11 is likely to perform well at 2.4.

For 5.8, I would recommend 149+

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Should I use the same SSID for my 2.4 and 5? -Solution
2022-06-08 00:08:45 - last edited 2022-08-17 12:35:51

@ingeborgdot 

Hey

In terms of 2.4ghz only channels 1  6 and 11 don't interfere, therefore despite fing recommending 9/10 using it would interfere with 6 and 11.  Honestly its not going to be any benefit to you setting this channel.

One of the big issues in nearly all WiFi installs is the 2.4 spectrum, unless you live on Mars its gonna be saturated.  You could choose 11 as your channel because its likely the best of a bad bunch (only shared with 1 SSID and not fighting 4) but the reason I recommend to leave 2.4ghz on auto selection is the frequency hopping.    

All ISP routers have a setting that auto changes channel if it detects interference, its a PAIN!!  If you decide to use 11 as its best today, your neighbours may hop to 7 tomorrow and mess up your selection.   If you want my opinion, just let the controller hop you about automatically; its never going to be perfect so expect to see the airspace congested at the best of times, there really is not a lot you can do about this sadly.

5ghz is a different beast, its not so congested and has a lot more airspace to work with so channel sharing isn't a big issue.   Most ISP routers use 36-48 for their 5ghz channels, these are known as the UNNI-1 channels and are the most commonly used worldwide.  Once you go past 52 its into DFS and some regions restrict this, you may also have Radar detection in this range.

Personally I use 52 and 104 for my channels as I like "clean air" and there is no one else on them, i also don't get radar detection.   Try 52 first and should radar be detected, jump up 4 channels and retry

Depending on where you live this is trial and error, however there is nothing wrong with 36-48 for daily use as its got plenty of space in most occasions.  

Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles