Nintendo Switch online features block with F-type NAT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-16 07:09:30 - last edited 2022-06-19 14:37:34
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: :‪1.3.0 0.9.1 v0001.0

Good morning

I would like info on how to change NAT on one of your SIM Routers (TL-MR6400).

I am sending this request knowing that there are general directions on the site showing how to do it, but currently, I cannot figure out if I am doing some steps wrong or if there is a block by the SIM provider (Iliad-ITA)
I am experiencing problems accessing almost all the online features of my Nintendo Switch. Reading online, I realized that the problem comes from the fact that the SIM card has a type F NAT while in order to browse freely I need a type A or B NAT that could be changed from the router settings

I have tried over and over to work on the homepage of my router to change the settings but regularly from the Nintendo Switch, the connection is still read with a NAT type F 
Do you happen to have any more information on how to solve this issue? Is this a problem that can be bypassed?

Thank you in advance for your helpfulness
Regards
Filippo

Options
5 Reply
Re:Nintendo Switch online features block with F-type NAT
2022-06-17 07:31:16

@OtterlyFil 

Hi,NAT Type F is displayed on the Nintendo Switch which is connected to MR6400, right?

Could you please insert the same SIM card into another 4G router and check the NAT type again?

In addition, please also check if the 4G WAN IP address on MR6400 or your another 4G router with the same SIM card is public IP address or not, and does the Nintendo Switch require to do port forwarding for using the online features?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-06-19 14:34:57

Hi  @Sunshine  thank you for your response!

Sorry for the delay, but this issue is with my girlfriend's router, so I have to be actually at her house to try to fix this. 

Yes, it is the Nintendo switch from the internet settings detects the connection with NAT type F. Both mine and hers, with the same router, have this problem. At my house for example, we don't have any issue (and if I remember correctly it should be a NAT type B or A, but I have a different type of connection)

Even with a sim from the same provider the problem remains, logging in directly from the phone. 

Let's say that all online features are not blocked, because if it has to go to the shop or watch youtube there are no problems, but if it has to connect to the internet to play multiplayer games the switch goes into error (saying that it could not connect to the servers)

The IP Type is 10.56....... / :: but it should be a private IP, in fact we wanted to see if it was possible to make a switch so that my girlfriend can fully enjoy the online services

Greetings
Filippo

Options
2022-06-19 14:53:47 - last edited 2022-06-19 14:56:10

@OtterlyFil 

Hi,

If the router shows a private IP address (10.56.....) for its "Internet" connection, then there is no way to get NAT type B or A on the Nintendo Switch if it's connected to that router.

Options
2022-06-21 16:21:03

Hi @woozle , that's bad news for me :( 

Can i fix this issue in any way? Not even changing the router? 

Options
2022-06-21 19:39:55 - last edited 2022-06-21 21:27:11

@OtterlyFil 

The IP address of the "Internet" connection is assigned by the mobile/cellular network provider. Changing the router won't make any difference.

Only the network provider themself could "fix" this. (i.e. assign a "public" IPv4 address instead of a private IPv4 address)

The issue of mobile network providers assigning private IPv4 addresses has become very common in recent years. Actually there are very few left that offer public IPv4 addresses and sometimes only on user's request.

Eventually IPv6 should solve such kind of issues one day, but the move to IPv6 has been rather slow.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 813

Replies: 5

Related Articles